know the perfect small working joggler altOS usbstick?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
deepmenace

know the perfect small working joggler altOS usbstick?

Post by deepmenace »

i've just been thru my collection of usb sticks ( about 5 ) and found that only 1 actually works with the jolicloud image!

i want to buy a nice small one that doesnt protrude from the joggler too much but with my current hit ratio of 1 out of 5 i'm a little scared to splash out with odds like that!

anyone found a perfect small stick?
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: know the perfect small working joggler altOS usbstick?

Post by BuZz »

I use the Pico C Nickel 8GB. pretty small. "ok" write at 8mb/second+ and great read speeds (seems to max out usb pretty much). they get hot but mine are still going strong after some months.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Just to add i paid £15 for mine and I just saw the chrome one cheaper on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Talent-8G ... 586&sr=8-2

I like the nickel look though still more I think.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Busbi from Argos, you can hardly see it. Sticks out about 5 mm. I use one in the car as my Alpine has a front USB slot... 4, 8 and 16 gig available, and I think you could get them even cheaper online.
deepmenace

Post by deepmenace »

awesome, cheers guys....

now to find out if i'm patient enough to save a £5 by ordering with amazon or if the argos on the way home will ambush me....
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi
Just bought a couple of these

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/14366695/ ... fer=search

I bought an 8 and a 4 gig, i can confirm working fine on the joggler
they are called hp v165 usb sticks they are a blue colour and dont stick out too far 15 mm
I did initially have a problem getting a program to write my images and also thinking my sticks were broken as only 700mb was showing! ! But mr Google was my friend
Hope this info helps
Happy Joggling
bejeezus

Post by bejeezus »

eduponesarris wrote:Busbi from Argos, you can hardly see it. Sticks out about 5 mm. I use one in the car as my Alpine has a front USB slot... 4, 8 and 16 gig available, and I think you could get them even cheaper online.
Interesting - I have a 4 gig one of these and have never managed to get it to boot my joggler?

Having said this I have tried about 5 different types (including Sandisk and Kensington) and have only ever got one of them (a cheap unbranded one) to boot but only when attached through a powered hub?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi bejeezus,
I had exactly the same problem as your goodself , i am sure it is not the sticks but the program you are using to make the bootable stick ; i tried unebootin, lili , and many more , eventually i used the windisk 32 (from memory) on the first page of asantagas android image thread ;this now works first time, every time ,
Hope this helps .
Gary
Happy Joggling
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

hawsey wrote:Hi
Just bought a couple of these

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/14366695/ ... fer=search

I bought an 8 and a 4 gig, i can confirm working fine on the joggler
they are called hp v165 usb sticks they are a blue colour and dont stick out too far 15 mm
I did initially have a problem getting a program to write my images and also thinking my sticks were broken as only 700mb was showing! ! But mr Google was my friend
Hope this info helps

Thanks for the advice on this HP usb stick. I bought the 8gb from play for £8 and they are so small you can only just see it stick out of the side. The write speeds are fairly good also.
bejeezus

Post by bejeezus »

hawsey wrote:Hi bejeezus,
I had exactly the same problem as your goodself , i am sure it is not the sticks but the program you are using to make the bootable stick ; i tried unebootin, lili , and many more , eventually i used the windisk 32 (from memory) on the first page of asantagas android image thread ;this now works first time, every time ,
Hope this helps .
Gary
Trust me I've tried just about everything in the last 12 months and spent far more on USB disks, speakers, soundcards etc than the bloody joggler cost me in the first place :lol:

I've tried creating mountable images from both the terminal in OSX and Windows using Windisk 32 (plus a few other suggestions) - the only boot disc that I actually managed to mount was Roobarbs reflashing tool the other day but that only worked when I used a powered hub with two sticks containing identical images - I havent got a clue as to why that worked but I'm just happy it did because it was a last resort and saved my bricked Joggler from the bin!

I might buy one of those HP USB drives although I have a nasty feeling I already know the outcome :roll:
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

nigelh wrote:The write speeds are fairly good also.
writing a full image for example, what speeds are you getting?
finnil

Post by finnil »

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but thought I'd add my experiences.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a problem with any usb flash. (I use Win32diskimager to write the images)

I've succesfully used:
a Busbi 4Gb Nano Flash from Argos - not the cheapest but definitely the neatest, and my favourite.
a Hewlett Packard (HP) V165 8GB USB Flash Drive from Play.com - again quite neat and unobtrusive.
a SanDisk Cruzer 8GB USB Flash Drive - doesn't look pretty but did the job.
a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB USB Flash Drive - again doesn't look pretty but did the job.

I'm going to try one of the super cheap mini usb card readers with a micro sd card and see how that looks and works.

Cheers,
finnil
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm using a tiny micro usb card reader I got from amazon for 76p & it works very well. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... ss_product
myredhotcar

Post by myredhotcar »

I recently got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-130981-Mo ... B0042A89MU

Pretty small and discrete. Read/Write speeds seem ok.
myredhotcar
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I got a Lexar Echo ZX. It's designed to be a "plug and stay" always on backup using the software they supply with it. It's also tiny, about the size of the one above, but with more rounded edges. Decent read and write for a USB stick and I'm running XP which is really heavy on the disk writes. Seems good. £30 at Staples (UK) for 16GB.

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-ech ... tegory=207
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
rahulg247

Post by rahulg247 »

finnil wrote:I know this thread is a couple of months old, but thought I'd add my experiences.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a problem with any usb flash. (I use Win32diskimager to write the images)

I've succesfully used:
a Busbi 4Gb Nano Flash from Argos - not the cheapest but definitely the neatest, and my favourite.
a Hewlett Packard (HP) V165 8GB USB Flash Drive from Play.com - again quite neat and unobtrusive.
a SanDisk Cruzer 8GB USB Flash Drive - doesn't look pretty but did the job.
a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB USB Flash Drive - again doesn't look pretty but did the job.

I'm going to try one of the super cheap mini usb card readers with a micro sd card and see how that looks and works.

Cheers,
finnil

I tried the HP one and cant get it to work.

Also tried a few others and still doesn't work and now I'm wondering whether I'm doing something incorrectly! It always freezes on yellow text...
blc

Post by blc »

Hello all

Just to throw my 2p worth into this... In anticipation of getting the Joggler, I bought two Sandisk Cruzer Fit drives (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer- ... 840&sr=8-2), one 16gb and the other 8gb. They're utterly tiny, but they're basically just MicroSDHC cards (class 4, I think) in a USB housing. They're a perfect fit in the Joggler - you can barely see them - but when writing images with Win32DiskImager I get around 4-6mb/s on either drive.

However my old 8gb Emtec stick (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emtec-C400-8GB- ... 060&sr=1-2) I bought from Argos years ago gets around 8-9mb/s when writing images; this is even after around 3 years of use/re-use. Although this is a "traditional" USB flash drive and sticks out like a sore thumb.

EDIT: Seems like I lied... My Emtec stick is currently writing the Linux Mint EXT4 image at 12-13MB/s...