Remote Control with SqueezePlay on Joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
fraserm

Remote Control with SqueezePlay on Joggler?

Post by fraserm »

Love SqueezePlay on my Joggler, but would like to be able to use a remote control with it too - I`ve got an old one lying about from an old SqueezeBox.

Has anyone done this? No ideas about the hardware or software requirements :-)

Cheers
Fraser
dwl99

Re: Remote Control with SqueezePlay on Joggler?

Post by dwl99 »

Get a cheap Android phone & install the Squeezebox or Squeeye Commander app then you can use it as a remote. AFAIK there is no other way.

I recently got a T-Mobile Pulse Mini for 20 quid - it has a horrible resistive touch screen but is more than adequate as a remote for Squeezeplay!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

I use SqueezePad for the iPad, of course this assumes you have an iPad!!

Excellent app though (for an iPad app it is expensive but worth every penny), can even turn your iPad into a SqueezePlayer!
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Yeah, in fact, I already have a Squeeze Duet which is greast for exactly this, but I was more interested in being able to control the Joggler SqueezePlay with a remote, using good old fashioned IR :)
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

fraserm wrote:Yeah, in fact, I already have a Squeeze Duet which is greast for exactly this, but I was more interested in being able to control the Joggler SqueezePlay with a remote, using good old fashioned IR :)
Hi fraserm,

Have you find any information about this ? I'm interested too
According to Joggler's Wiki, we can add USB IR remote which works perfectly on linux system :
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Links_t ... e_upgrades

Nobody has tried yet ?

Regards.
Avman

Post by Avman »

you should be able to use any IR remote that comes with a USB stick (just as a playstation unit requires). This assumes its compatible with the OS your running.
I would strongly recommend using Ipeng for the ipod touch or iphone. it has outstanding control for any squeezebox including swueezeplayer and its much better than the free logitech alternative.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

Avman wrote:you should be able to use any IR remote that comes with a USB stick (just as a playstation unit requires). This assumes its compatible with the OS your running.
I would strongly recommend using Ipeng for the ipod touch or iphone. it has outstanding control for any squeezebox including swueezeplayer and its much better than the free logitech alternative.
Thanks.
Just bought one USB IR receiver to test.
As soon as I will receive it, I'll try to use lirc to get it working with a remote...

Regards.
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

ARJunior wrote:
Avman wrote:you should be able to use any IR remote that comes with a USB stick (just as a playstation unit requires). This assumes its compatible with the OS your running.
Thanks.
Just bought one USB IR receiver to test.
As soon as I will receive it, I'll try to use lirc to get it working with a remote...

Regards.
Long time lurker here, first post...

Did you have any luck getting an IR remote working with squeezeplay on the joggler? It's a missing piece of the jigsaw for me - would love to be able to use my Harmony remote to control the squeezeplayer on the Joggler. I've tried two remotes so far on a Joggler running Mint and Ubuntu, neither were successful. I'll add the details of the remotes later. The remotes worked with other programs on the OS, just not Squeezeplayer. Arrow buttons worked and a couple of other buttons triggered random actions in Squeezeplayer, but play, pause, forward and back didn't work.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

No, because I haven't received it yet :(
I'll post results as soon as I'll test it...
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

IPeng works most excellently on the Iphone, with Squeezeplay on the Native OS, obviously need to be on the same wireless link though..
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

eduponesarris wrote:IPeng works most excellently on the Iphone, with Squeezeplay on the Native OS, obviously need to be on the same wireless link though..
Thanks, but as has been noted previously on the thread, the aim here is to get Squeezeplayer working with an IR remote control - such as the Logitech Harmony / USB remote - rather than with apps on an android phone or iphone/ipod touch.

You're right about ipeng - fantastic app.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

Hi,

I received IR USB receiver today and just plug it into my Joggler.
It is detected as "USB HID v1.10 Keyboard"

So I installed lirc-x and select "linux input layer"
Mouse and buttons are working prefectly under Ubuntu but we need some adjustments for Squeezeplay.
I've created a new configuration file (based on Steven Hamilton one) and put it in home/user folder (~/.lircrc)

Code: Select all

# LIRCRC configuration file for SqueezePlay
# Author(s): Steven Hamilton
# Modded by ARJunior (for linux input layer use)

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_BACKSPACE
  config = Key h Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_UP
  config = Key Up Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_DOWN
  config = Key Down Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_LEFT
  config = Key Left Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_RIGHT
  config = Key Right Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_ENTER
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_PLAYPAUSE
  config = Key c Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_STOPCD
  config = Key c Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
  config = Key z Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_NEXTSONG
  config = Key b Squeeze
end
This file has to be completed but for moment it contains only tested events...

Regards,
ARJunior
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

I've kinda found a workaround for the IR remote control issue. Not sure how useful a tip this will be, not for the vast majority, but just in case one or two of you have a similar set up but haven't tried it...

I use a Joggler to control a Squeezebox Duet/Receiver system, the Receiver doesn't have IR and I haven't managed to get an IR remote working directly correctly with Squeezeplay on the Joggler in any OS I've tried. I wanted to have basic control (skip,back, play, pause, etc) of the squeezebox via the Harmony remote I use for everything else. I have a cheap eMachines atom based 'nettop' working as my media pc and sb server, it sits behind my tv and amp. So what I've done is attach an Ortek VRC 1100 (ebay £8) remote to the nettop and programmed my Harmony to mimic its controls. I leave the pc version of Squeezeplay open on the nettop's desktop when it's not being used directly - the result is a Harmony controlled squeezebox receiver and Joggler squeezeplay!

Hope that makes sense :-)
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

FyodorNinian wrote:I've kinda found a workaround for the IR remote control issue. Not sure how useful a tip this will be, not for the vast majority, but just in case one or two of you have a similar set up but haven't tried it...

I use a Joggler to control a Squeezebox Duet/Receiver system, the Receiver doesn't have IR and I haven't managed to get an IR remote working directly correctly with Squeezeplay on the Joggler in any OS I've tried. I wanted to have basic control (skip,back, play, pause, etc) of the squeezebox via the Harmony remote I use for everything else. I have a cheap eMachines atom based 'nettop' working as my media pc and sb server, it sits behind my tv and amp. So what I've done is attach an Ortek VRC 1100 (ebay £8) remote to the nettop and programmed my Harmony to mimic its controls. I leave the pc version of Squeezeplay open on the nettop's desktop when it's not being used directly - the result is a Harmony controlled squeezebox receiver and Joggler squeezeplay!

Hope that makes sense :-)
Hi,

Working perfectly here using lircrc and irxevent under Ubuntu.

For information, these are config parameters for irxevent to handle Squeezeplay commands (keyboard shortcut)

Squeezeplay event  |  irxevent config parameter

Home               |  Key h Squeeze
Sleep              |
Power              |  Key shift-q
Previous Track     |  Key z Squeeze
Pause-Stop         |  Key c Squeeze
Next Track         |  Key b Squeeze
More               |
Play               |  Key c Squeeze
Up                 |  Key Up Squeeze
Left               |  Key Left Squeeze
Right              |  Key Right Squeeze
Down               |  Key Down Squeeze
VolumeUp           |  Key plus Squeeze
VolumeDown         |  Key minus Squeeze
1                  |  Key 1 Squeeze
2                  |  Key 2 Squeeze
3                  |  Key 3 Squeeze
4                  |  Key 4 Squeeze
5                  |  Key 5 Squeeze
6                  |  Key 6 Squeeze
7                  |  Key 7 Squeeze
8                  |  Key 8 Squeeze
9                  |  Key 9 Squeeze
0                  |  Key 0 Squeeze
Shuffle            |  Key comma Squeeze
Repeat             |  
Now Playing        |  Key bracketleft Squeeze
Now Playing List   |  Key bracketright Squeeze
Search             |  Key shift-slash Squeeze
Favorites          |  colon
Music Library      |  semicolon
Store Preselection |  Key exclam Squeeze
Rewind             |  Key shift-z Squeeze
Forward            |  Key shift-b Squeeze
Mute               |  Key shift-m Squeeze
You simply have to edit your .lircrc file for you need...

Regards.
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Hi AR Junior

Many thanks for the replay and the advice. Am a bit of a newbie to all thinks linux. Could you point me in the direction of some guidance that would me make the amendments you suggest, or is it just a case of finding a file on the Joggler, opening it, amending, saving and closing? If the latter, where would I find the file? Many thanks in advance.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

FyodorNinian wrote:Hi AR Junior

Many thanks for the replay and the advice. Am a bit of a newbie to all thinks linux. Could you point me in the direction of some guidance that would me make the amendments you suggest, or is it just a case of finding a file on the Joggler, opening it, amending, saving and closing? If the latter, where would I find the file? Many thanks in advance.
Hi FyodorNinian,

First, you have to install lirc-x and choose your device during installation (ie: linux input layer)

apt-get install lirc-x
To verify if your device runs perfectly and to identify all keys of your remote, use irw.

Finally you have to create .lircrc file in root directory and edit it according to your IR remote and commands you need in Squeezeplay :

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_BACKSPACE
  config = Key h Squeeze
end
In this example, pressing button KEY_BACKSPACE of my remote, returns to Home menu of Squeezeplay.
Hope you understand the process...

Don't forget to execute irxevent before Squeezeplay to handle IR commands.

irxevent &
Regards
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

You should also be able to use one of these:

http://www.flirc.tv/

I use one for my windows XBMC setup, it is an ingenious device that, from what I can tell, emulates a programmable USB keyboard by turning IR signals into key presses.

Basically find a remote that has all the buttons you need (I use the one from a Sony media player for my XBMC setup) and then program the Flirc (via an extremley simple GUI) to respond to that remote.
sampras

Post by sampras »

ARJunior wrote:Hi,

I received IR USB receiver today and just plug it into my Joggler.
It is detected as "USB HID v1.10 Keyboard"

So I installed lirc-x and select "linux input layer"
Mouse and buttons are working prefectly under Ubuntu but we need some adjustments for Squeezeplay.
I've created a new configuration file (based on Steven Hamilton one) and put it in home/user folder (~/.lircrc)

# LIRCRC configuration file for SqueezePlay
# Author(s): Steven Hamilton
# Modded by ARJunior (for linux input layer use)

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_BACKSPACE
  config = Key h Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_UP
  config = Key Up Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_DOWN
  config = Key Down Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_LEFT
  config = Key Left Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_RIGHT
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_ENTER
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_PLAYPAUSE
  config = Key c Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_STOPCD
  config = Key c Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
  config = Key z Squeeze
end

begin
  remote = devinput
  prog = irxevent
  button = KEY_NEXTSONG
  config = Key b Squeeze
end
This file has to be completed but for moment it contains only tested events...

Regards,
ARJunior

So what IR usb did you buy, I've been looking for a small usb IR.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

sampras wrote:So what IR usb did you buy, I've been looking for a small usb IR.
I bought this one from Dealextreme :
_http://www.dealextreme.com/p/driver-free-unive ... -aaa-27596

Regards.
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Hello,

I use my Joggler mainly for running Logitech Media Server and Squeezeplay - thanks to offbeatdave and roobarb's efforts. To my mind the Joggler offers a better interface than the current Logitech offerings with its larger screen. The only thing missing was a remote control.

I have now found a very nice solution after buying a Blackberry PlayBook - Music2Touch:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... k-released

This effectively turns the PlayBook into a cordless Joggler and I can now control the music from whichever room I happen to be in. I haven't tested it extensively (no long soak tests) but so far I have not encountered any problems - both LMS and SQP need to be running on the Joggler, then you connect Music2Touch to SQP and away you go.

PlayBooks seem to be getting cheaper by the day on eBay - I got a 32GB model for under £115 including shipping and I have seen the 16GB go for under £100. To my mind it is a steal at that price - well made, decent amount of storage, good cameras, nice UI and nippy OS. Worth thinking about.