Joggler won't Flash

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
julzgeraghty

Joggler won't Flash

Post by julzgeraghty »

Hi,
I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I've searched through all the threads that I can and I still can't find a solution.
I have a Joggler that suddenly died and now only shows the BSOD or WSOD if it's been left turned off. I've tried every reflashing script I can find, from the most basic all the way up to all of the new scripts from "Birds like wires". The USB, which I know works as I've used it to update a second Joggler, flashes for about 30 times and the nothing happens.
I've even tried typing in blind (though I couldn't find much info on this) but that didn't help.
So, is it dead or is there a way to get it working again?
Thanks
Julz
pete

Re: Joggler won't Flash

Post by pete »

Julz,

You can do the hot flash swap thing between your good and bad joggler. Basically (read up and go slow), you place the good Joggler flash chip in the bad Joggler, boot up, remove the chip and replace it with the original chip; write the current boot to the "bad" boot flash.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Could you let us know all the ways you've tried to reflash in case we can suggest some more.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

Thanks for the replies, open back “surgery” is a scary prospect so I'll try everything else first. I think I've tried most reflashing options as I was running PNPIII having put the old O2 image on about a year ago. This time round I've tried roobarb!'s old and new Openpeak software, and both the Squeezeplay images (internal and external memory). I found joggingbottoms 400mb image of the open peak flash image and tried that.
I have plugged in a keyboard and Stick on a hub and tried fs0: boot, fs1:boot etc all the ay up to 9 with no luck. I have changed the positions of the keyboard and stick plugs in the hub but I only have one hub to try.
I know the stick works as I've used it to reflash my bedrom Joggler and that's running PNPIII beautifully.
I have no experience with Ubuntu so haven't really tried that but I'm downloading image from http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/# to give that a try.
Any help appreciated, but please keep it simple.
Thanks
Julz
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Julz, are you saying it wouldn't boot roobarb!'s squeezeplay os using the the external usb slot?

There is an internal usb slot you can try - but it does mean taking the joggler apart...

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 991#p15857

What software are you hoping to run on your joggler?
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

Yes it won't boot roobarb!'s squeezeplay os using the usb slot. I'll have a look at the thread.
Thanks
Julz
pete

Post by pete »

Here I noticed an odd thing using newest Win32DiskImager most current version to write an image to a stick.

It didn't work.

But maybe that is me and I should be probably using an enterprise wintel server (test NAS box right now) to play with.

The image written to the stick was not right and would not boot.

Which program are you using and what OS are you using to write the image?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

I have used the sticks to update one joggler (bought at the same time) successfully so I'm sure it's the joggler not the sticks or the progams.
Thanks
Julz
Last edited by julzgeraghty on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Curiousity.

Have you tried creating a stick with one of Buzz's Linux builds? Just to see it boot an OS from a USB stick.

That said you can also check the built in flash with Gparted to see how its doing. You might have to do stuff via the command line. It works well though at checking the partitions. Its kind of a manual effort as Roobarb's FW upgrade already does this.

I currently have been testing using one on a 12 port USB hub with a bunch of "stuff" (USB devices) and it boots fine every time.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I might have missed something, I think I've read the whole thread, but I can't see if you have said what shows on the screen on boot. Just stuck the O2 or Openpeak logo? Is that where you are typing blind? Or is the screen blank, or does it seem to attempt to boot looking at the USB stick LED?

Sorry, lots of questions, but it might save opening up the case. :)

Hold off on opening the case to try booting off the internal USB, just for now. It might be an option for later on.

I've revived a few dead/half-dead Jogglers with an EFI re-write (suggested above) which unfortunately DOES require opening up and removing the motherboard on both the dead Joggler, plus another good Joggler running factory OS (someone here might know if it can be done from Ubuntu, which I suspect would be much much easier) which is used to do the re-writing. You also need another desktop/laptop on the same network from where you 'telnet' the commands from. The instructions are on the Joggler wiki and there is always us here to guide you through. It makes things simpler if both your Jogglers display the same boot logo, otherwise we need to guide you to download an EFI file too.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

Hi,
When starting from cold I get a completely white screen(White Screen of Death) which resolves into the black screen with the O2 logo (Black Screen of Death). When booting from the USB stick the Joggler shows the O2 logo, there is nothing else on the screen.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Julz
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash

Look at the above link under troubleshooting, you make up your USB stick as per the instructions, and you are plugging in to a USB hub your keyboard and your reflash stick in to the joggler.
Try a different keyboard as this was the issue for me.
Don't worry about the white hazy screen both my jogglers have that issue as do many of them :-D .
Happy Joggling
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

^^^ Yup, the blurry, fuzzy white screen we believe to be something to do with starting from a cold temperature as it goes when the Joggler warms up. The white flash that you get when power is first applied to the Joggler is also normal. No death screens there! :)

Stuck on the logo is the real problem. If flashing from a prepared USB stick doesn't work, browse the wiki for the "blind typing" method. Beyond that, rewriting the EFI would be my preferred course of action.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Testing some more I had a couple of Jogglers (virginal untouched) sitting around and I updated them both with Roobarb's newest firmware flash and Opendave's newest PnP3 script and both updated and flashed just fine.

Think about this; if you have a "stuck on the logo" Joggler; then right now its a brick (but it is repairable)

Go slow baby steps.

Carefully open up the Joggler with it powered off and unplugged. (I will add a pictorial here).

1 - remove the label on the bottom. You will see 4 screws. Leave the label off. These 4 screws hold the Joggler back cover on.
2 - Look at the four screws on the bottom
3 - Remove the screws. Remember lefty loosey righty tighty. - these screws are just in plastic and you can strip them if you over tighten them. The Joggler case will not fall apart as these screws just hold the bottom part of the case to the front part; but there also are plastic clips which hold the case together.
Attachments
disassembly-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

Ok, so a bit of an update.
I've tried the blind typing method with 2 different keyboards and a hub - each time the flash drive LED flashes for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I've open the back up (Gulp!)and tried flashing from there - nothing. I've tried the USB stick in the internal USB, Keyboard in the external and I get the few flashes and then nothing as above. I have tried out the remaining combinations of internal/external USB port and hub/stick/keyboard but it looks like nothing makes a difference.
Any ideas?
Julz
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

When typing blind make sure numlock is off otherwise all you get is a few flashes on the stick as you will have misstyped the command.
Jogglermaniac
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

why would the number lock make a difference?
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

Well interesting developments, there are signs of life :D sort of :roll:
I ended up plugging the keyboard into the internal USB, stick in the external USB and, with number lock off (I still don't understand why this makes a difference) I got it to run a reflash script by blind typing. I wasn't able to sit on top of it to see if it completed all the reflash but I came back to it and found it had shut down (good sign I thought) but on rebooting it's still stuck on the O2 logo. I did at one point get an Ubuntu script loading but it kept asking questions and I didn't have instructions to hand to check with so I went back to Roobarbs! Openpeak script.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Julz
pete

Post by pete »

Julz,

Very good news.

You are doing better than me; as I could never blind type using the EFI stuff; even though I tried some 5-6 different USB keyboards.
- Pete

Auto mater
julzgeraghty

Post by julzgeraghty »

Not such good news today. It flashed straight off a stick today, as I was preparing to set up the keyboard. I thought I had it cracked but the joggle wouldn't boot by itself afterwards. I reflashed it with Roobarbs! image but it still won't boot by itself.
Back to the drawing board.
Julian