New to the Joggler - can't connect to the internet

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ecobebop

New to the Joggler - can't connect to the internet

Post by ecobebop »

Hi everyone, this is my first post, sorry it's one asking for help straightaway.

I got hold of a used Joggler a couple of weeks ago - it looks great but I really need it connected to the internet to make use of the things I want it for (easy access to news, travel etc mainly).

I have tried to connect wirelessly and with an ethernet cable. The joggler can see my broadband connection and the little indicator middle-top of the screen shows a full wireless signal. If wireless, I enter my network key, get a brief screen saying "Applying Network Settings" and "Associating", then a message saying "Unable to associate with the network. This is typical if your network key is incorrect." It definitely isn't, and I have a variety of other devices which all connect without problem. I get a similar message even if connecting with an ethernet cable.

Any thoughts? I'm not particularly technically minded so any help gratefully received. I'm desperate to get using the Joggler but at the moment it's not really any use at all!

Thanks for reading.
gegs

Re: New to the Joggler - can't connect to the internet

Post by gegs »

I'm not near my Joggler to check but I think there is an "edit" button on the bottom of the network settings dialogue box. I think this allows you to set an IP address manually. DHCP might be failing and setting a static IP might help. I seem to remember that this was the only way I could fix networking on one of my Jogglers when I first got it.

I would suggest reflashing your Joggler though and adding PnPIII. I've not had network problems after doing that. The instructions for doing this are either on the forum or the birdslikewires site. Do everything step-by-step, don't rush any stage and you will be fine.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Can you post picture(s) of the home screens (app icons)? It'd be useful to know what version of anything is installed and I might be able to tell from the apps.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ecobebop

Post by ecobebop »

Thanks gegs for the advice, I have got a bit further and get a message saying I have successfully obtained an IP address but cannot connect to the internet, this is typical if you are using a Web Proxy Server. I am sure I am not, so don't know what this is about!

offbeatdave, I have attached some images including one of the latest error message!

Thanks for your help.

gegs

Post by gegs »

Do you have your router set to automatically allow connections for new devices? (when the correct password is given, obviously). Do you have MAC address filtering or any other network intrusion protection that might cause problems?

If you can get a strong wireless signal and the status is "connected" (to the router but not the internet), I'd suggest checking your router settings to see if the problem is there rather than the Joggler. I'd pull the plug and reboot the Joggler first though, if you haven't already done so since setting your IP address.

It looks like you have PnPIII already but I'd still suggest reflashing and installing the latest version if you are still encountering problems. I've only had this network connection problem with a stock OS Joggler, so I assumed that's what you had.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Some router/ap uses, like Gegs' suggestion, a mac address matching, if you have something like this, you can connect to the network locally but you cannot go to Internet. (I have a HUAWEI 3G Wireless Gateway and there's this option).
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

This is quite an old version of PnP III.

I'd suggest reflashing to the most recent version as this looks like being one which had some networking issues.

Have you actually tried any of the apps after receiving the message. I have found some Jogglers throw up this message but are actually connected. In fact, looking at the date, it has connected as some point and updated the date and time (unless you've popped these in manually).
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ecobebop

Post by ecobebop »

Sorry for not coming back for a bit, haven't had time to look at this again until now! Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far.

My router ( a BT Home Hub 3) does not have MAC filtering.
The router does let other devices connect wirelessly with the network key without any problem.
I have tried the Apps, none appear to connect. I had updated the time and date manually in case a mismatch with the network was causing the problem.
I have noticed that the Joggler doesn't seem to retain the Gateway address - all the other details I entered (Subnet, Primary & Secondary DNS etc) are retained but the Gateway address is showing 0.0.0.0 when I look at the settings after I try and connect (and fail!). Why would this not be retained, and could this be the problem?
I will take offbeatdave's advice and try to reflash PnPIII, being a bit of a techo wally I'll need to go through this carefully, but this is the only thing I haven't tried so far!

Thanks again folks, will let you know how I get on.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Problems with internet connection were rife after O2 cut the strings. The default behaviour for new Jogglers was to connect to the O2 update server as part of the setup process, but because this was no longer operational, the Joggler would stop the setup with an error message. The software available on (or linked to from) this forum fixed those problems for me. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.
ecobebop

Post by ecobebop »

Thanks Gegs and offbeatdave; did a clean install of the Openpeak OS, then updated to latest PnPIII. It then hooked straight into my wireless network with no problems and all is brilliant! (Except I suspect the missus won't be impressed that I'll now be spending the evening playing with my new toy instead of cooking a nice tea...)

Legends!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Fantastic! Welcome to the forums. I can genuinely say that this is the best technical forum I visit. There are lots of helpful people on board and there is a genuine friendliness and good attitude that other members have also commented on. It makes a refreshing change from other forums with tetchy admins and members who use the threads to snipe at each other. Even when things aren't going well and your nerves are frazzled, the Joggler forums are a great (and useful) chill-out zone.
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

After a few years of trouble free operation, this same message appeared for me. It has an IP, but no connection to the web (or indeed to the rest of the network for squeezebox). Am I best off just trying a reflash first?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That can't do any harm , I take it you are using PNPIII or squeeze play on internal ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

I've reflashed the openpeak image, but it still won't connect. Not tried reloading pnp3 yet. Will try today
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

Will I even be able to? It needs telnet...
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

I decided to reflash it with SqueezeboxOS instead which worked great, since that's the only thing I was using it for anyways :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nice one :-) For me I always have had to connect via Ethernet just the first time after a re flash before disconnecting and switching to wireless, I think the Joggler picks up some extra info this way or something ....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling