Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Man in a van

Re: Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

Post by Man in a van »

@roobarb!

Just for info (you must have eaten ebnough chocolate by now, surely :) )

I have just tried the latest image

/debian/latest_510/bul-ext2-1028-43-bullseye-5.10.177op. 06-Apr-2023 04:54 186M

and get the following output on the Joggler screen

hashtags were checked after download
no rush ;)

keep safe

ronnie
proddick

Post by proddick »

I am rebuilding a Joggler and used 5.10.176 from 23 March 2023 and that booted fine.

However, audio is bad (stutters) with the BBC Sounds plug-in, but works fine for Global, Spotify, my ripped music, etc. BBC Sounds also works fine on the SB Radio, so issue is specific to the Joggler.

Anyone got any suggestions? I believe the stream needs transcoding from the 48Khz sampling rate and I have checked that LAME is installed and the settings confirm all OK.
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

proddick wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:47 pm I am rebuilding a Joggler and used 5.10.176 from 23 March 2023 and that booted fine.

However, audio is bad (stutters) with the BBC Sounds plug-in, but works fine for Global, Spotify, my ripped music, etc. BBC Sounds also works fine on the SB Radio, so issue is specific to the Joggler.

Anyone got any suggestions? I believe the stream needs transcoding from the 48Khz sampling rate and I have checked that LAME is installed and the settings confirm all OK.
Hi - I had this exact issue and the solution for me was to set the transcoding for the joggler (see this post: viewtopic.php?p=33365#p33365). A couple of caveats though:
  • I am not on the most recent Joggler build (one from the end of last year) so can't vouch for that
  • I am only the Joggler's internal speaker; if you're using using something other than that you may want to increase the bit rate of the transcoding if you can hear a benefit to it
proddick

Post by proddick »

Hi - I had this exact issue and the solution for me was to set the transcoding for the joggler (see this post: viewtopic.php?p=33365#p33365). A couple of caveats though:
  • I am not on the most recent Joggler build (one from the end of last year) so can't vouch for that
  • I am only the Joggler's internal speaker; if you're using using something other than that you may want to increase the bit rate of the transcoding if you can hear a benefit to it
Thanks for the reply. I am testing with the internal speaker and found my issue this afternoon. The lame.exe file was being blocked from execution by Windows and once I fixed that all is fine. I haven't set any rate limiting and 320Kb/s is working fine from Radio 3 :-)
proddick

Post by proddick »

I am trying to install an "out-of-kernel" driver for the Realtek 8811CU so I can use a better, low cost USB WIFI. The instructions to install the drivers are at https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu-20210916 but I am a Linux numpty and have struggled at the first step and am hoping someone can help!

The command below fails because it can't find the headers - "Unable to locate package - linux-headers-5.10.176op". Is it possible to solve this?

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential bc dkms git libelf-dev rfkill iw
proddick

Post by proddick »

proddick wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:59 pm I am trying to install an "out-of-kernel" driver for the Realtek 8811CU so I can use a better, low cost USB WIFI. The instructions to install the drivers are at https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu-20210916 but I am a Linux numpty and have struggled at the first step and am hoping someone can help!

The command below fails because it can't find the headers - "Unable to locate package - linux-headers-5.10.176op". Is it possible to solve this?

sudo apt install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential bc dkms git libelf-dev rfkill iw
I found the headers at https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... .10.176op/ and installed them using dpkg so got past the first hurdle. Now the driver build is failing and looking at the make error I think it may be due to the Joggler being a 32 bit platform. Any thoughts?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Apologies to any folks who had issues with the last 5.10.180 build of Debian - there was a repo outage at the time the build ran which broke it.

I've removed the dodgy build and linked back to the .179 release. The .180 version should be reprocessed overnight.

BTW, I've abandoned Twitter these days, but I'm here on Mastodon if anybody needs to give me a nudge. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Andy!!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
proddick

Post by proddick »

I have one Joggler running 5.10.179 connected on Ethernet and (for reliability) trying to connect a second one on Ethernet too. However, the second one appears to get the same IP address from DHCP. I seem to recall an issue with non unique MAC addresses a long time ago - can anybody advise?

Looking at the Joggler the MAC addresses are as below and look odd?

ethernet - 02:0e:8e:24:d1:da
wifi - 00:0e:8e:24:d1:da
proddick

Post by proddick »

proddick wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:45 pm I have one Joggler running 5.10.179 connected on Ethernet and (for reliability) trying to connect a second one on Ethernet too. However, the second one appears to get the same IP address from DHCP. I seem to recall an issue with non unique MAC addresses a long time ago - can anybody advise?

I found the back story here that there is no MAC address for onboard Ethernet so an address is spoofed from the WIFI one. I still am having some issues that two Ethernet Jogglers are getting the same IP address which is weird. I may try a USB Ethernet to see if that is a workaround.
proddick

Post by proddick »

My journey to 5.10 really isn't going well :-(

My latest issue is that when I try and use my USB DAC/Amp with 5.10.179 it crashes the Squeeeplayer app. Any suggestions as to what I can check - I think the unit is still alive and can probably look at logs, etc?
proddick

Post by proddick »

proddick wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:14 am
proddick wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:45 pm I have one Joggler running 5.10.179 connected on Ethernet and (for reliability) trying to connect a second one on Ethernet too. However, the second one appears to get the same IP address from DHCP. I seem to recall an issue with non unique MAC addresses a long time ago - can anybody advise?

I found the back story here that there is no MAC address for onboard Ethernet so an address is spoofed from the WIFI one. I still am having some issues that two Ethernet Jogglers are getting the same IP address which is weird. I may try a USB Ethernet to see if that is a workaround.
It appears that the network.yaml was updated with the same MAC address (02-0e-8e-24-d1-da) for the Ethernet port on both my Joggler, which is odd. Is this a bug in the current build? As a workaround I generated a random MAC and changed it in the file.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

proddick wrote:

It appears that the network.yaml was updated with the same MAC address (02-0e-8e-24-d1-da) for the Ethernet port on both my Joggler, which is odd. Is this a bug in the current build? As a workaround I generated a random MAC and changed it in the file.
@proddick does this help ? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2301&start=20

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

proddick wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:25 pm

That would be very odd, are you transferring an image between devices or duplicating one which is already configured?

The only way two different devices would get the same 02: prefixed MAC address would be if the MAC of the WiFi cards were the same. The 02: prefix denotes a locally adminstered address to other network devices, but should never clash with the 00: original it was derived from.

Quickest workaround is to do as you did and simply generate a different MAC for ethernet, or check the MAC of the WiFi cards and slap the 02: prefix in place of the 00: of the original. If there's no WiFi card a random MAC is generated instead. The odds of that random one matching the WiFi card are... impressively small. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi all ,
would any specific type of WiFi usb stick that the Debian os would work with and have drivers for please ? The internal WiFi that is on the stock Joggler is not that great and uses older encryption.
Thanks in advance 👍
Happy Joggling
proddick

Post by proddick »

hawsey wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:35 pm Hi all ,
would any specific type of WiFi usb stick that the Debian os would work with and have drivers for please ? The internal WiFi that is on the stock Joggler is not that great and uses older encryption.
Thanks in advance 👍
As you will see from my earlier posts, I tried a generic Realtek adaptor but had issues installing the most recent drivers. My solution was to purchase a BrosTrend "Linux" WIFI adapter with known Debian support. You have to purchase on of the adapters with the "L" suffix, which most on ebay are NOT. This is the one I have been using - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GC8XH0S

Based on their instructions I came up with an install process which I have copied below. It is necessary to download the appropriate headers (see my earlier post) and copy it to the root of the USB stick.

BrosTrend WIFI
More info at
https://linux.brostrend.com/

Install headers (Example below)

sudo dpkg -i /boot/linux-headers-5.10.176op_5.10.176op-1_i386.deb
Install driver

sh -c 'wget linux.brostrend.com/install -O /tmp/install && sh /tmp/install'
Install IW to test, etc

sudo apt install iw
See - https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... ntation/iw
proddick

Post by proddick »

roobarb! wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:45 pm That would be very odd, are you transferring an image between devices or duplicating one which is already configured?

The only way two different devices would get the same 02: prefixed MAC address would be if the MAC of the WiFi cards were the same. The 02: prefix denotes a locally adminstered address to other network devices, but should never clash with the 00: original it was derived from.

Quickest workaround is to do as you did and simply generate a different MAC for ethernet, or check the MAC of the WiFi cards and slap the 02: prefix in place of the 00: of the original. If there's no WiFi card a random MAC is generated instead. The odds of that random one matching the WiFi card are... impressively small. ;)
Each Joggler was a fresh build, I didn't clone anything. It was very odd and I did some checking in the logs but I needed to get things working so didn't investigate in too much detail.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for the reply , I'll look in to that cheers.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
proddick

Post by proddick »

I built a Joggler using the latest Bullseye build (5.10.186) and in the past the "of-install" script to install Squeezeplay worked, but sadly it now fails. It seems to be trying to download 7.8 from https://openbeak.net/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/ but the folder is empty. Any chance you can restore it?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

proddick wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:59 pm I built a Joggler using the latest Bullseye build (5.10.186) and in the past the "of-install" script to install Squeezeplay worked, but sadly it now fails. It seems to be trying to download 7.8 from https://openbeak.net/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/ but the folder is empty. Any chance you can restore it?
@roobarb!

Same problem with the latest build (25/7/23)

--2023-07-25 10:49:40--  https://birdslikewires.net/download/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/
Resolving birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)... 2001:41d0:8:e648::1, 5.135.163.72
Connecting to birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)|2001:41d0:8:e648::1|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://openbeak.net/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/ [following]
--2023-07-25 10:49:40--  https://openbeak.net/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/
Resolving openbeak.net (openbeak.net)... 141.147.74.255
Connecting to openbeak.net (openbeak.net)|141.147.74.255|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: ‘/tmp/index.html’

index.html                                          [ <=>                                                                                                 ]     189  --.-KB/s    in 0s

2023-07-25 10:49:40 (8.39 MB/s) - ‘/tmp/index.html’ saved [189]

--2023-07-25 10:49:40--  https://birdslikewires.net/download/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/.md5
Resolving birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)... 2001:41d0:8:e648::1, 5.135.163.72
Connecting to birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)|2001:41d0:8:e648::1|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://openbeak.net/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/.md5 [following]
--2023-07-25 10:49:40--  https://openbeak.net/openframe/squeezeplay/v7.8/.md5
Resolving openbeak.net (openbeak.net)... 141.147.74.255
Connecting to openbeak.net (openbeak.net)|141.147.74.255|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2023-07-25 10:49:40 ERROR 404: Not Found.

cat: /tmp/.md5: No such file or directory
md5sum: /tmp/: Is a directory

No checksums! Looks like the download failed.
of@openframe:~$
ronnie