Joggler Debian current OS and Hamclock installation image

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Joggler Debian current OS and Hamclock installation image

Post by pete »

New endeavor here....

Using current posted Debian image and installation of Hamclock software

Doing this on my Ubuntu Linux laptop. Don't use Windows 11 much these days but I do have it dual booting on all of my laptops.

https://wiki.oarc.uk/hamclock_joggler

I've done this before and it worked fine. This time will reduce image to smallest possible image and post image for downloading.

Concurrently making late lunch here..simple...baked potatoes on the bbq grill.
Washed potatoes, cooked them in Microwave oven for about 10 minutes. Soaked in water. Salted and wrapped in Aluminum then to BBQ grill to back for about 45 minutes to get a nice hard shell.

Currently base Squeezeplayer USB stick used is a 32Gb stick.

1 - Gparted reduced image for Squeezeplayer stick to 4Gb
2 - DD copied current stick to image file
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb | gzip -c >/tmp/o2squeezebox.img.gz
3 - removed partitions and formatted drive
4 - downloaded current image ==.>
https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... atest_510/
5 - wrote image to USB stick - resized image to 4Gb
image-1.jpg
image-2.jpg
6 - put new USB stick in O2 Joggler - boots fine to login. Connected Gb port to Gb switch.

7 - SSH'd to Joggler

Code: Select all

/home/pete# ssh of@192.168.244.246
of@192.168.244.246's password: 
Linux openframe 5.10.167op #1 SMP Tue Feb 7 03:12:10 UTC 2023 i686

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
of@openframe:~$ 
8 - set time zone

root@openframe:/usr/local/sbin# of-timezone set America/Chicago
America/Chicago
root@openframe:/usr/local/sbin# 
9 - did not edit /boot/network.yaml file as I am using the built in NIC at this time.

10 - install base desktop to OS

sudo apt install lightdm lxsession xorg openbox
sudo apt install curl make g++ xorg-dev
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
sudo apt-get install -y lightdm-gtk-greeter
11 - reboot and login via user of and password joggler

12 - you get your blank desktop

13 - ssh to device

14 - install hamclock

cd /home/of
curl -O https://www.clearskyinstitute.com/ham/HamClock/ESPHamClock.zip
unzip ESPHamClock.zip
cd ESPHamClock
make -j 4 hamclock-800x480
sudo make install
15 - autostart hamclock on login * used an example and added hamclock

sudo nano ~/.config/openbox/autostart

# Programs that will run after Openbox has started

# Set the wallpaper
# hsetroot ~/wallpaper.png &

# Run a Composite manager
# xcompmgr -c -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55 &

# SCIM support (for typing non-english characters)
# scim -d &

# A panel for good times
# fbpanel &

# start hamclock
hamclock &
16 - reboot and login ...Hamclock should start after you login

17 - configure openbox to auto login user "of"

18 - reboot and you will see Hamclock loading.

Attached is a 4Gb stick (smallest I had) image tested a couple of times.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgaJRUIi ... Q?e=TphY3O
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Re: Joggler Debian current OS and Hamclock installation image

Post by hawsey »

Great job Pete , I downloaded and wrote the image to an old small 8Gb Hp stick that I had previously had Android on using Win32 disc imager ;
It booted first time and now it's happily giving updates , showing current time date etc and if you leave it a few minutes the screen goes completely black , saving power and if you touch the screen it pops back up .
I have a few spare Jogglers and my plan is to try and get some interest going in the Amateur radio community as there are some fantastic Linux applications available for the hobby .

This is great , thanks so much Pete Image I have tried to do this myself a couple of times and failed miserably.

Thanks also to Johnathan 2E0LXQ @jothebulb who's idea it was to put this fantastic application on to a Joggler and also to Elwood Downey, WB0OEW who has the Hamclock project Image.Image

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

With a working Openpeak 2 with 2Gb eMMC you could install the image (shrinking it a bit) to one of these. I started here with a 32Gb stick then downsized it to the smallest Gb stick I had around which was 4Gb.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete it works great , there are so many great Amatuer radio Linux applications I just wish I had more time to get proficient with Linux to get some going on the Jogglers . Some applications would not suit the small screen but others would be great .

An SDR would be great and I have had that going using Android on the Joggler so I know it would work . It would basically turn the Joggler in to a real radio receiver. SDR was developed using the same technology as Dvb-t usb TV receiver sticks . You can even receive the weather satellite images from those satellites.

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes here using an SDR radio for NOAA satellite imagery....built this 4 years ago. Everything including antenna is mounted in the attic. Using an RPi for this.

See here. Most difficult part was building the antenna...then switched to a simple antenna and that worked even better...

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homes ... e-receiver
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That's great Pete , I would like to do this as well Image
The lack of an microphone input would stop a few things but I'm sure a cheap usb one would work ok .
There is a great digital radio app called Peanut that might work ok on the Joggler as well but it would need a microphone input .
Its like RF radio but over the internet
Raspberry Pi s are used a lot in radio but for some programs the Joggler is perfect , having the screen built in already.

https://www.pa7lim.nl/peanut/

There is also a digital radio app called DroidStar , designed to work on an Android phone but they say it will work on Linux

https://github.com/nostar/DroidStar

Thanks again Pete Image speak soon

Happy Joggling
jothebulb

Post by jothebulb »

hawsey wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:49 pm
Thanks also to Johnathan 2E0LXQ @jothebulb who's idea it was to put this fantastic application on to a Joggler and also to Elwood Downey, WB0OEW who has the Hamclock project Image.Image

Thank you Pete for a really clear way of implementing this, compared to my original lashed-together version.

And thank you Hawsey for the thanks! Putting Hamclock on my Joggler was my first project, so was really pleased it worked.

I'm now G5LUX, having passed the full radio exam back at the end of 2021; the Joggler Hamclock is still on my desk & still updates from the original USB stick, now over two years old.
o2joggler.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

jothebulb wrote:
hawsey wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:49 pm

Thank you Pete for a really clear way of implementing this, compared to my original lashed-together version.

And thank you Hawsey for the thanks! Putting Hamclock on my Joggler was my first project, so was really pleased it worked.

I'm now G5LUX, having passed the full radio exam back at the end of 2021; the Joggler Hamclock is still on my desk & still updates from the original USB stick, now over two years old.
o2joggler.jpg
Well done on getting your full licence, that's great , still revising for mine , finding it difficult ha ha but I'll get there .
That's good that it's updating still ; how do you change the callsign on it as I noticed your new one on the home screen.
I'd like to see other radio projects on the joggler but just don't have the time myself, also I'm not great at Linux.

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi all ,
would any specific type of WiFi usb stick that the Debian Hamclock will boot up and have drivers for please ? The internal WiFi that is on the stock Joggler is not that great and uses older encryption.
Thanks in advance 👍
Happy Joggling
jothebulb

Post by jothebulb »

Thank you, Pete!

My original Joggler/Hamclock lash-up finally gave up the ghost this evening - I imagine the USB stick finally degraded and I had a Linux 'segmentation fault' warning on start-up.

Instead, I downloaded your all-in-one image to a fresh USB stick, and my clock is back up and running in 10 minutes.

Huge thanks - I didn't want to have to go through all of my original steps again!

One issue that I have noticed though is that if the Joggler stays in sleep mode (blank screen) for an extended period - not sure how long exactly, but it has happened twice now - I cannot wake up the Joggler by tapping the screen. It seems to crash, and I have to reboot the device completely. This never seemed to happen on my previous set-up so I don't believe it is a hardware issue. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Finally, is it OK if I put a link to your post & image in my original Wiki article on the OARC website?

Jonathan
G5LUX
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great job on this @pete and @jothebulb I have 6 members of my local Ham radio club currently with Jogglers, fantastic .

Only issue is that no one has managed to get WiFi working yet , could someone check please . I'm thinking the newer encryption on routers might be too much for the old card maybe .

Happy Joggling
tknaap

Post by tknaap »

Thank you very much Pete for this fast and quick solution to reuse my old joggler.

I am using WiFi whithout problems with these modifications:
wpa_passphrase your-ESSID your-wifi-passphrase | sudo tee -a /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
And changing /boot/network.yaml

I solved the screen going blank:
Edit /etc/lightdm/lighdm.conf
Then change the line:
#xserver-command=X
to:
xserver-command=X -s 0 dpms
Attachments
IMG_7796.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

tknaap wrote:Thank you very much Pete for this fast and quick solution to reuse my old joggler.

I am using WiFi whithout problems with these modifications:
wpa_passphrase your-ESSID your-wifi-passphrase | sudo tee -a /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
And changing /boot/network.yaml

I solved the screen going blank:
Edit /etc/lightdm/lighdm.conf
Then change the line:
#xserver-command=X
to:
xserver-command=X -s 0 dpms
That's great, thank you , I have a few people at my Amateur Radio Club using this image and it works perfect apart from the WiFi .
@pete if you get time could you possibly try this out please and also pretty please update your Hamclock image if you do ? Many thanks Image.

Happy Joggling
Monoxide8484

Post by Monoxide8484 »

Regarding the wifi connection, I was wondering if it was me or my "new to me" Joggler. Promising to see there's a solution, and I'll have to dig out a network cable to change the config files as above.

But a very quick and easy solution, thank you! :D