Open Peak Devices

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
roobarb!

Re: Open Peak Devices

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:There are BT labels on it. It appears that the Zigbee stuff has been removed / desoldered as there are marks all over the area. It has a socketed flash boot chip and someone wrote O2 #1 with magic marker on the one of the shields.
When you say 'BT', do you refer to Bluetooth, or to BT (used to be British Telecom)...?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Its just stickers with "BT" on it in caps and a bolded font; its not the BT logo though.

It did have a similiar combo wireless/bluetooth mini pcie card; not marked with the broadcom name though; looks similiar.

It also looks like the power supply burned out the board at one time as it is scortched there similiar to my other Open Peak 2 device (that was broken and I fixed). I did have it working with XBMC on it; tried to update it yesterday and trashed it. Not a big deal to write over it.

Pictures will be posted. I am trying to open another Openframe 2 one in a similiar fashion. Really its just pushing on one of the four tabs; then "lifting" the LCD at the same tab; then the rest of the three just unclip. Its all plastic.

Paying attention a bit and noticing that the audio chip is different on these than the O2 Jogglers and it is giving issues.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Redoing the XBMC setup that was on the 2 Gb of MMC. It was working then I messed a bit with it. First rebuild did work but I started to play again and messed it up.

Starting a new XBMC build from scratch now instead.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Here are some pictures of the Openframe 2 device that I opened. I removed the wireless / bluetooth card as I am experimenting with the socket.

Easy to open once figured out.

I utilized one long thin screwdriver pushing on the 3d tab (one of two center tabs). While pushing on the tab I took a thin plastic tool (?) and lifted on the LCD there. I wedged it and left it there moving to the other tab areas of the LCD doing one at a time and putting in a spacer while moving to the next one. Last spacer in I could easily lift the LCD. The plastic trim piece and speaker grill just lift right out as they are held in place at the top by the LCD. Once you have lifted off the LCD there are a bunch of screws that hold the plastic front cover to the back cover. Removing these you get to the motherboard. There is only one screw that holds the motherboard in place. It is very well built. What is nice about these is that the back pivotal stand removes and you can hang this device on the wall with maybe a small VESA mount. The audio, USB and NIC jacks are angled and a bit inside of the rear case giving you a smaller mounting footprint. There is a removable plastic cover on a 5 pin connector (USB port) on the top marked for a web cam. That said this would be a nice skyping with webcam, device.

It is different with the socketed EFI boot chip and the desoldered Zigbee stuff. There was no DECT stuff on the motherboard. I am thinking that maybe this was an experimental to O2 board provided by OpenFrame for initial O2 Joggler testing? It does have a CMOS or clock battery soldered to the motherboard. It does also have a different audio chip on it than the O2 Joggler. Interesting that the updated o2 firmware doesn't play sound using PnP3 but does play sound with the original included OS. I noticed that when I used the base build of Ubuntu and did an update it picked up the sound drivers.

I did try XP with seabios on it. The NIC didn't work no matter what I tried. I also had issues with this one relating to no sound in XP.

A couple of days ago ordered the older style mini PCiE broadcom HD video board that used to be utilized for laptops. I am looking just to see if it'll stream 1080 a bit faster with this board. (curiousity mostly)

The board has the SIM traces as the other one has (that was butchered). It also has the PATA ZIF and SD card traces as the other one has. It appears to also have been repaired because of the burn marks by the 5VDC power in on the motherboard.

I did install XBMC on the base Ubuntu build (thanks Buzz!) and sound and NIC work well. Only thing is that it is now at 100% capacity of the built in 2Gb MMC.
Attachments
Pic-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
tschak

Post by tschak »

Hi.

Loving this thread, and keeping all the notes for when I manage to get an OpenPeak 2.0 device. I've been drooling all over these devices since I first saw them in 2010, and basically got told to fuck off by OpenPeak when I enquired about at least getting a device to integrate into our Smart Home platform, LinuxMCE.

Only one question I haven't been able to answer based on everything I've read:
If I were to buy, for example, an Avaya DECT 6.0 base station, would I be able to pair the OpenFrame phone, to it?

-Thom
tschak

Post by tschak »

Damn :'-( I got oubid.
I really want one of these devices. Does anyone have an extra?

-Thom
pete

Post by pete »

Just noticed that last one that was posted went up in price some.

I have tested the OpenPeak DECT phones with my Ooma VOIP box. I didn't know I could connect DECT phones to it. That said you can dial out and it receives calls but that is all it does.

The one's for sale are pretty stripped down with only a base on it and they are configured to talk to Avaya internet SIP. The phones do pair right up though with the Openframe 2.

It would be nice little bedside tabletop touchscreen if the DECT phone was integrated into something like Skype and enable the web cam on it plus the rest of the Linux stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
ProfX_OpenFrame7

Post by ProfX_OpenFrame7 »

Dear Pete_C, and all users, :P

i'm from Brazil. I and my friends from Forum HardMob started in OpenFrame7 (Orby in Brazil).
I buy 4units form Orby and I like use the DECT Voip chip, voip and calling function of the Orby.

like too install other OS like Android in the Orby.

the company of Telephone Services discontinate the device and no support.

I've read several posts on the forums international Joggler.
I ask your help with information and tips to succeed using Voip DECT and update the OS and upgrade the hardware of this device so cool.

I have several ideas that I would like to share with you.

I do not speak English. Forgive my English wrong.
grateful hug, ProfX
ProfX_OpenFrame7

THIS IS "THE MAN"

deleted to not infringe the manners of the Forum.

excuse me, please.
Last edited by ProfX_OpenFrame7 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

This is great!

Thinking maybe now we can start a new mod section for the Openframe 2's here; one for the DECT telephone hubs and one for the Zigbee energy hubs.

Welcome Openframe2 folks!
- Pete

Auto mater
ProfX_OpenFrame7

pete_c wrote:This is great!

Thinking maybe now we can start a new mod section for the Openframe 2's here; one for the DECT telephone hubs and one for the Zigbee energy hubs.

Welcome Openframe2 folks!
Yes, Pete_C, please start create new topic for Openframe2, Openframe7 ( Orby ) DECT Voip development, please. I'm no know do it. Thanks!!!
pete

Post by pete »

It would be easier right now. I am confused. Is the Openpeak model with the speakers in the front known as the Openpeak 7?

The model number was specific to Ayaya here and it just has Openpeak on the back of it. Or did I mistakenly assume that Openpeak 2 was really Openpeak 7?
- Pete

Auto mater
ProfX_OpenFrame7

pete_c wrote:It would be easier right now. I am confused. Is the Openpeak model with the speakers in the front known as the Openpeak 7?

The model number was specific to Ayaya here and it just has Openpeak on the back of it. Or did I mistakenly assume that Openpeak 2 was really Openpeak 7?
My device is "Openframe 7" (Orby in Brazil) the model with the speakers in the front.
PICTURES:
http://www.meuorby.com.br/
http://www.vonex.com.br/nexus_para_voce/orby.php
pete

Post by pete »

Interesting cuz I just looked at the Ayaya Openpeak label with serial number and its marked as an Openframe Openpeak 2.0. A few of the ones I have do not have any labels on them. The inside of the most recently opened one with the speakers has totally been modded with solder marks removing some chips and magic markered Joggler #1. I want to keep this one intact somewhat. This one too has a socketed flash boot chip where as the others do not.

I think though the telco ones are really all the same anyways. We can just put them in a group. With speakers and telephone and assume that they are all telco DECT hubs.
- Pete

Auto mater
ProfX_OpenFrame7

I'm a tired mind, but I'll post my ideas later.

below, follow the link in Manufacturing Mode Handset, a friend of Brazil.
he does not know how to explain the steps cosegui do.

you guys were able to access the Manufacturing Mode too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTjTNk1 ... e=youtu.be

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTjTNk1 ... e=youtu.be"
zucolitto

Post by zucolitto »

ProfX_OpenFrame7 wrote:I'm a tired mind, but I'll post my ideas later.

below, follow the link in Manufacturing Mode Handset, a friend of Brazil.
he does not know how to explain the steps cosegui do.

you guys were able to access the Manufacturing Mode too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTjTNk1 ... e=youtu.be

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTjTNk1 ... e=youtu.be"
the correct link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzZIQrxGb8
zucolitto

Post by zucolitto »

zucolitto wrote: the correct link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzZIQrxGb8
in headset:

hold # ... hold * .... release # ... release * (repeat 2x)
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Here is when i opened mine to have a look inside :
20140622_190919.jpg
20140622_191142.jpg

Looks like I have the empty slot for Simcard and pata,Dect and lpc cpnnector.. not sure what this is.

Would be nice to be able to get a sd card reader soldered on there, but I have no idea how i can solder stuff that smal.

What is this xdp ment for?

mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

parrafin23,

How did you open your case?

Yeah the mini pcie card is a combo bluetooth and wireless card. You can also replace that with a Broadcom Crystal HD card for streaming HD stuff.

The SD card traces are for a standard mini SD card. The ZIF would work for a ZIF SSD card. I do not know what the DECT plug is for.

LPC - Low Pin Count connector - provides low speed legacy I/O

http://www.rtcmagazine.com/articles/view/101109
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Pete.. I can take some pictures of the tool(s) i used.. pretty simple i might add. i used a nail, with the size 3,4mmX95mm 9,5mm is the length of the nail.. i used 4, one for each hole.
20140623_070334.jpg
The red rings shows the ones that needs to be pushed up for the screen to be released. I started in one corner, put 3 nails in and the screen started to release.i used a realy smal flat screw driver to hold the screen outwards

going for the last locking tap, i had to use a bit forcre, allmost too mutch. but be care full, cause that long nail do hit the pcb The only thing i can see will get damaged is the connector to the lcd if pushed too far in. with these nails i had to push it allmost all the way in.
20140623_071138.jpg

So this is how i opened it.

I can run xubuntu and linux mint on it, downloaded from here. I would like to have xubuntu from here on the internal memmory. i have partitioned the mmc to NTFS and formated it. but im no linux guru, so im struggeling.
to do what i would like to do. I think i have an old phone with a sd card reader somewhere, can i somehow solder that on to the board and it will work, if done correctly?

Mr.P