Open Peak Devices

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
pete

Re: Open Peak Devices

Post by pete »

Very nice and thank-you parrafin23.

Yup; here did one tab at a time pulling up on the LCD screen (not really the best way).

You can DIY a tiny 2Gb Linux build using Buzz's base Linux on the MMC. I did it for an XBMC build which worked fine for a bit then would fill up probably related to the XBMC DB's. You can move the DB's to a network DB such that all of your XBMC boxes share the same network DB. Initially I was playing a bit with streaming live HD TV from MythTV and it worked just fine using the Broadcom Crystal mini pcie HD card.

You don't really want to format the MMC with NTFS. Really you just want to check the MMC then write the partitions via DD.

The pin outs for the SD card are standard as are most of the mini SD card readers.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Cheers Pete, for the advice about the MMC partition/format stuff. kinda on unknown ground here this is for me.

I like the xubuntu and its running fine from usb with sqbox installed. Can you guide me threw it? cause i have no idea how to do this at all. I used most of the sunday trying to figuring this out, but I found that i enjoyed more figguring out how to open the box than trying to get the os installed on MMC internaly.

Could you write me a how to please?

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

parrafin23

Personally (this is my opinion) I would initially create a USB build which is a bit smaller than the 2Gb MMC partition. Play with it until you have what you feel most comfortable with. Baby steps. Note too that 2Gb is a lot of space or little space relatively speaking.

1 - Download and install to a USB stick a base build that you can play with. Leave the 2Gb MMC partition alone for a bit.

Look here for the "base" builds. Note the size of the base builds.

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/

2 -
I would like to have xubuntu from here on the internal memory.
Play with it on your base build on the USB stick until you get what it is you want on it. You can resize the USB Linux paritition and make it smaller say like around 1.5Gb.

3 - Once you got it where you want it; then just DD it (with a bit of tweaking) to the MMC. You have to be careful a bit with the EFI boot partition on the MMC. Play slowly and carefully as you do not want to "brick" you OF2. I am thinking that the boot to USB comes from that first EFI boot partition on the MMC.

Read here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/EFI

Note too that the OF2 does have a battery backup; which is neato. Here I have test play OF2 devices running Wintel with a coreboot/seabios boot and Linux with an EFI boot.

Most important to know / be aware of is that you do not have a removable EFI boot flash chip like in the smaller O2 / Openpeak devices.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Allright Pete.. get a base build/server, install sqbox, get wifi working... wel.. all i would like to do is get the smalest linux install with just the sqbox. thats all i would like. I bet you can wip something up in 30mins or so.. wile I hmm lets say 30days or more.. I do not know all the commands for doing and building this. So.. if i take a realy smal linux install sqbox and get wifi working on the usb.. how can i "transfer" this to the internal mem?

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

@parrafin23
how can i "transfer" this to the internal mem?
You basically just copy the partition image over with DD.

DD is:
The command is older than the trees.

I do have SqueezeLite running on a Joggler being remote controlled from the "mothership".

The "mothership" is my automation server. SqueezeLite is way smaller than 2Gb.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... sa-only%29

Here too I have this already installed and running Squeezeplayer on a regular Joggler running off of the 1 Gb MMC chip.

From here:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/sq ... or-joggler

Thinking this would work fine on your Open Peak Device and would take less than 10 minutes to install.

You could them just boot up off of one of Buzz's Linux builds and expand the 1Gb SqueezePlay on the MMC to the capacity of the MMC on the OF2.

The neato thing about this build is that the wireless stuff is included along with the wired network interface stuff; no sense in reinventing the wheel eh?

You have come to the right place (O2 Joggler Forum) as everbody here is a Joggler Obi Wan. What you want to do has been done and documented right here.

You don't have to build it from scratch; its already been done.

And here is the build that will work on your device. Really all you have to do is write the USB stick and boot up with it.

Your questions about this stuff is what makes up much of the O2 Forum. Many folks here have already done this and that with the Openframe model you have.

Joggler Squeeze Player Obi Wan Andy has already done it here (you have come to the right place).

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=1879
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Idle like to try the sqbox build, downloaded the file + the check sum file.

used win32 disk imager and wrote the reflashing tool.

copied over the sqpos206_of2 files to the correct folder.

booting the jodgler

the normal warnings stuff about internal mem will be perm. be erased..

Decompressing and writing sqpos206_of2.img.gz to internal memory...

dd:Writing /dev/mmcblk0 No space left on the device or something.. shuting down... and black screen.

So the img does not fit the mmc.. crap!!!

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

I would try again.

You can check your MMC with a standard Buzz Boot build of Linux. Check it to make sure its OK using GParted in Linux.

Takes 2 minutes to check and will save you some grief.
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

So I did.. 1.86gb unallocated.. Ill try a gain.. but the .ing file is over 2Gb when extracted.

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

So I did.. 1.86gb unallocated.. Ill try a gain.. but the .ing file is over 2Gb when extracted.
Yeah that is odd. Should be smaller. What OS and program are you using to write to the boot / install stick?

Yup here the "mothership" talks and controls remotely the Squeezeplayers (Jogglers) and I do not pay attention much as it just works for me.

It would beneficial now to post your stuff here under the Openframe 2 Squeezybox player topic as there are a few O2 Joggler Forum members doing exactly the same as you here.

One is connected to a centralized zoned audio amplifier that uses multiple audio sources (Russound). A bit much considering I never look at the screen (well the screen is off anyways).

SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=1879

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay-os
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Im using windows 7, win32 Disk imager
pete

Post by pete »

Yup use the same in Wintel here. I have also utilized Wintel USB Image Tool sometimes.

Could be some wierd MMC partitioning thing. Try it again and post your stuff to the above such that more eyes / O2 forum users can chime in. Be patient; go slow; it does work.
- Pete

Auto mater
bcox5199

Post by bcox5199 »

So this question is coming in quite a few years later. But I have just found an OpenPeak OpenFrame 7ez in my office. It currently does not power on so I am trying to open it up and see if there are any board pieces that have blown. problem here is, I am having trouble trying to open the device. There are 4 slots on the bottom and from what i have read in the post something must reach up in to release a catch in order to remove the screen. I am not having luck with this. Any pointers? advice?
pete

Post by pete »

The four holes on the bottom push on 4 plastic tabs right underneath the bottom of the LCD.

You can try to push on one at a time and lift the LCD from the little plastic clips. Its a bit snug. If you go slow you it should be easy.

There is a Joggler forum user that did make a gizmo with four push things on it to push the tabs all at once.

This actually is similiar to the original Openpeak tool.

My way with pushing one tab at a time can mess up your Openpeak device if you are not careful.

IE: I am lifting up one section of the LCD forcing / putting pressure on the LCD / underneath tabs. It does work though.

I will try to do a pictorial on a new virgin non opened Openpeak 7 device.
- Pete

Auto mater