Open Peak Devices

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
pete

Open Peak Devices

Post by pete »

A bit of Joy today as I puchased two Openpeak Openframe 7 devices in the last couple of days.

This is part of my OpenPeak quest which came from roobarb!

These appear to be some sort of deal made for home automation and power monitoring with built in zigbee and the dect phone thing.
Attachments
openpeak_openframe7.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Re: Open Peak Devices

Post by hawsey »

Merry Christmas Pete :-)
Very interesting your new Openpeaks especially the Home Automation bit have you any links to the info on them?
I would still love to have a small scale HA setup probably using the Joggler as the control, just for turning on and off electrical sockets to start with and then maybee a webcam for the front door and maybee even a bird box cam :-D
Some weather stuff would be cool too
Some photos of your new toys too please....
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Merry Christmas Hawsey

There is no info about it on the internet.. It appears to be test unit given out to utility companies.

Hopefully the base OS is similar to the Joggler
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Those OpenFrame 7 units should run the Linux distros on here very well - unless they have a locked down EFI. Don't let them do an update, as one I have that looks like that caused me no end of problems after an update!

What boot logo do they have on startup?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Are they likely to have any apps suitable for PNP III?
Also would an image of what they are running likely run on a Joggler or not?
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Guys.

The devices are in transit to me.

roobarb!,

Is the EFI chip replaceable on your device? I have extra chips now.

If they are; then I will boot into the Joggler OS (if it works) and do a hot swap of the EFI chip, back up the chip first thing.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've never seen the inside of the device as they're a total pain to dismantle. BuZz did explain to me at one point that they open in a similar way to a car radio - they must be placed on a jig with long prongs which releases catches that separate the front from the back. Forcing the enclosure open usually destroys the device.

This is academic though, as the only pictures I've seen of the inside show a soldered EFI chip. :( The pics are on the wiki under the OpenFrame 2 description.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks roobarb!

I will be dismantling these so will go slow hopefully not causing too much damage.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Thanks roobarb!

I will be dismantling these so will go slow hopefully not causing too much damage.
Cool - you might want to try getting something into the release holes to begin with and attempting to remove the front 'the proper way' first.

Would you mind taking some pics of the process?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

In case anything is useful
somebody in the know wrote: Ok, disabling the OpenFrame 2.0's is a little bit tricky. We have a special tool that has these 2 very long "prongs" that push up through the holes on the bottom of the openframe 2. You lower the OpenFrame 2 onto the prongs, they go into the holes and when deep enough they hit a type of "catch" that pops the front lcd screen off.

I'll get a picture of the tool. We used to have many running around but I only know of one laying around now. Maybe you can rig something similar. 2 long screw drivers maybe.
I didn't get a picture though, I should maybe request one after xmas.
pete

Post by pete »

I recieved the device today. It came from Chicago. (so it was only three days to ship). Very nice.

The second one is coming from California (probably set up to a utility company there??)

It does come from the local utility company as their logo comes up when booting.

It does have a Zigbee device inside cuz I can scan the Zigbee network. It doesn't appear to have wireless network connectivity though because the only option to connect to the internet is via a cable connection.

Also trying the Peak DECT phone to see if it works and attaches to the device. I see GV is installed. That and I just booted up the VZ hub without a network connection and it goes to a configuration menu. I deactivated the OpenPeak DECT phone first there. I pulled the battery and unplugged the OpenPeak II device. When the phone boots it appears to see some DECT hub as I do not have any in the house and it is sitting next to the OpenPeakII.

There is no phone widget though and I just get a prompt for the registration on the phone. That said I wonder if there is a way to enable the phone stuff or even if you need to plug in a DECT device into the 5 pin connector on the top of the device (there is a plastic cover on it).

It does have only four holes on the bottom and I do not see any screws to dismantle it.

I am not going to put it on the network. It might be locked already though. That said though the OS looks exactly like the Joggler OS and I wonder if I could install PNPIII via USB stick to it?

Instead for a test plugged in the Jolie Linux build stick and it booted just fine. Next tried the EFI XP boot stick and it boots too.

From Jolie I can copy out the EFI partition stuff which is good.

Here are some pictures.

I am waiting to take it apart until I get the second device and want to go really slow such that I do not break the case.

Done playing for a bit. Will boot up into linux and copy out the rom stuff. Will keep the device off the network for the time being.

Any suggestions about easiest way to do this?
Attachments
pics-2BW.jpg
pics-1BW.jpg
Last edited by pete on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

pete_c wrote:I That said though the OS looks exactly like the Joggler OS and I wonder if I could install PNPIII via USB stick to it?
Mine is a Telio unit, and unlike Roobarb's, never tried to update itself. It's connected to my wireless network.

I've manually stuck just about everything from PnP III onto my OpenFrame device. In fact just this morning I reflashed it with a clean image I took straight away and re-established the PnP III apps on it as when I first did this I messed it up a bit and it kept restarting tango randomly. I just popped the stick in and copied and pasted chunks of code via telnet (username root). I just had to tweak Roobarb's Squeezeplay install script to ignore the version number reported in the firmware. ;)

Incidentally, rightly or wrongly, I have an unpowered USB hub connected to mine to which I have connected two leads to charge the Nexus 7 and my phone. Seems to work OK.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Post by pete »

offbeatdave,

So you have one too eh? I just viewed Roobarb's video of his booting of the Telio device.

Yes your PnP III update should work on the device. I am currently just building another Joggler Linux Umbuntu USB stick.

It came with the standard OpenPeak 5VDC power supply.

I have it connected to a Digi powered USB hub with a keyboard and mouse attached (plus USB boot stick).

Windows XP is locking up and Jolie really needs the internet.

Really though wanting to see if I could pair up the Openpeak DECT phone I have with the device.

Wondering what that phone widget does on your Telio device? Does it look at the DECT phones connected?

Do you have any documentation on what the default registration code is?

Have you replaced your Telio base firmware with the Joggler based firmware?
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

pete_c wrote:offbeatdave,

So you have one too eh? I just viewed Roobarb's video of his booting of the Telio device.

Yes your PnP III update should work on the device. I am currently just building another Joggler Linux Umbuntu USB stick.

It came with the standard OpenPeak 5VDC power supply.

I have it connected to a Digi powered USB hub with a keyboard and mouse attached (plus USB boot stick).

Windows XP is locking up and Jolie really needs the internet.

Really though wanting to see if I could pair up the Openpeak DECT phone I have with the device.

Wondering what that phone widget does on your Telio device? Does it look at the DECT phones connected?

What is windows doing when it locks ups? searching hardware?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Merry belated Christmas Dan!

Yup.
Last edited by pete on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

pete_c wrote:offbeatdave,
Yeah, very lucky to have been bestowed one from this thread: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=655
When I first tried it, I just ran is as normal so I think that messed up one or two bits. By being selective with copy and paste all seems well now.
Just reinstated the icon to check - it says "Please register for a telephony account. Until then, telephony features will be disabled."
Then ends up on this screen:
Sorry - no documentation at all.
Nah, left it as it was - it seems to be essentially identical to the OpenPeak Joggler update which o2 made available to us at the end of their support for the Joggler. It's just on 2Gb as opposed to the Joggler's 1Gb and has a few additional apps.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you offbeatdave!

Just playing with it right now. Booted it to Buzz's xubuntu for the time being.

I'm thinking there might be a few of these floating around.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

pete_c wrote:Merry belated Christmas Dan!

Yup.

Merry Christmas to you aswell Pete!

Not even sure what ''extra'' hardware is inside one of these, is it just the dect chip that differs? or do sound/video/etc have differences?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I can get all the devices I might be able to make a self installing ''driver pack'' for the telio on windows :)
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Hello Dan,

Thank you. I think the hardware is similiar. The other OpenPeak boxes I got also have the DECT chips in them.

It looks though that when they sold them they just replaced the firmware so they would be just regular Jogglers OS boxes.

Going really slow with this endeavor. Still looking. Will do more "looking" with box #2 in the next few days.

Wonder if the "camera" connector on the top is just another USB port.

Looking at the pictures it appeared that there is a CMOS battery on the motherboard.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

pete_c wrote: Wonder if the "camera" connector on the top is just another USB port.
someone in the know wrote: The top port is a usb port I'm told. They had a prototype camera that connected to that port but I was told it was really just a usb camera. I'm not sure the pinout, might be able to get info on that but I'm sure with only 4 connectors it could be figured out quickly enough.