Blind typing to boot

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
hawsey

Blind typing to boot

Post by hawsey »

When a Joggler gets bricked and you have to plug in a USB keyboard and do the blind typing thing , what is this called ?
Will this method work on say other tablets ? On another forum I am on a member has an unresponsive tablet it has UEFI boot so similar to EFI and wondered if he might be able to get a recovery stick to boot using this method ,
Who found out about this working for our Jogglers ? Was it BuZz or Roobarb ?
Cheers
Gary :-)

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Re: Blind typing to boot

Post by pete »

what is this called ?

Blind typing.

Will this method work on say other tablets ?

No.

It was Roobarb relating to an Openpeak 2 model that was calling home via the EFI boot process essentially bricking his OP2 device.

The new dual boot UEFI W10/Android tablets are totally different. The licensing stuff for W10 is in the BIOS UEFI boot.

Best in this situation is to repair the tablet using a typically provided image on a USB stick.

The above noted you can purchase a dual boot W10(W8)/Android licensed tablet here now for around $100 using newest generation of Intel Atom (now faster than Baytrail CPU. Personally here prefer W10 OS over Android (but Ubuntu is still #1 for me).

I have done this already booting my newest device to Ubuntu 64 bit rather than W10 or Android.

Earlier (a few years back) cooked up a new Android OS for a SIBO Android wall mounted device. It worked and I had to come up with it via some EU 3rd party folks. SIBO customer service was piss poor as well as their android devices. I wrote them off and never purchased another one.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers Pete , knew you would know :-) are you using Ubuntu on your Pipo ?
The Linx 1010L device I just bought is OK running W10 but would like it booting Ubuntu off a USB stick like a Joggler :-) .

The guy can't get BIOS or anything to come up on screen , i think he really bricked it :-(

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

are you using Ubuntu on your Pipo ?

I tested Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit and KODI. It ran faster than Windows 10.

That said the PipoX7 is connected to a 17" multitouch capacitance wide screen monitor and Kinect. Works OK in 32bit mode with 2Gb of memory. Not pushing it though.

I am using it in Windows 10 and it is running my automation touchscreen, Microsoft Kinect and SAPI voices and Amazon Alexa application talking to the automation mothership running in Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

The Linx 1010L device I just bought is OK running W10 but would like it booting Ubuntu off a USB stick like a Joggler

With the PiPoX7 started initially with Linux on a stick then went to a 32Gb MicroSD card for booting 64bit Linux. There was only some basics needed for the EFI boot bios stuff.

The push I see though is toward only using Wintel on this device and a tweaked BIOS for only Wintel / Android.

It boots fast.

Looking this morning on Amazon here and do not see any Linx stuff for less than $100. IE: I do see HP Stream tablets for $75 USD. Someone just wrote to me about a best gear purchase of a wintel tablet with a windows license here for around $99. I did purchase my original Pipo computer from Best Gear.

Looking there this morning see a few combo Windows and Android tablets for less than $100.

Googling a bit this morning found this reference to your tablet and Ubuntu.

===> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2259837

The guy can't get BIOS or anything to come up on screen , i think he really bricked it

I do not know anything about the Linx 1010L. I don't know anything about the device. That said if it has an HDMI port try booting with that monitor.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers Pete , I'll tell him that , :-)

I did originally fancy one of the dual boot chuwi tablets from best gear that you see but this Linx was on fire sale for £49 and too good to miss I added a refurb dedicated keyboard for £18 and ive got a great little tablet/ notebook for good cheap :-)

The Pipo, I really fancied for a little musuc server but I think I've managed to get that sorted with a Joggler and my router I think :-)
Take care Pete ,
Cheers
Gary

Happy Joggling