Telio touch stuck on Telio logo

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
helpless_noob

Telio touch stuck on Telio logo

Post by helpless_noob »

I found a Telio Touch (OPOF2B2110) in the trash. I found only the main unit, and no handset or powersupply. But I had a multivoltage powersupply providing 2.5A at 5V compared to the 4A for standard power supply. When I plug in the power, it starts and show the Telio logo, and nothing more happens even if I wait an hour.

I made a bootable USB drive with standard Xubuntu 14.04 32bit from xubuntu website. I tested that it boots fine on my laptop, and then tried on the Telio Touch. But I still only get the Telio logo and nothing else. The USB drive has ha LED indicator that flashes about 10 seconds after I plugged in the power cable, but it only flashes in about a second and then stops.

On the Telio support site I found this:
http://www.telio.ch/no_en/customer_serv ... at_do_i_do.
But I don't understand how I can plugin the power without making it start. I can't find any powerbotton og other bottons on the device.

I have read a lot on this forum. I have read that this devices is made to fix themselves if they only get connection to the mothership. But I have also read that new updates can lock down the device even more. And Telio is one of the software providers who tends to lock down the device. Therefore I have not dared to connect it to Internet yet.

Because the device was trashed, it's maybe broken hardware. But because it was nearby a student residence with many engineer students, it's also possible that the last owner failed to install some unofficial software and bricked it. A last possibility could be that the device was working when it was trashed and broke afterwards (maybe when I tried 1.5A powersupply and got white screen). Or could the device still be fully functional and It's only me who do something wrong?

My goal is to run android or any other OS that can run Airfader app. I don't care if it's from internal flash, a usb drive or from an internal microSD if that exist. But internal flash is maybe most reliable and don't wear out so fast.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Telio touch stuck on Telio logo

Post by BuZz »

Couple of points (I'm short on time - but I'm sure others will give you some more details)

* multivoltage powersupply - is it regulated ? if not it could damage the device - I would recommend getting a 5v 4a regulated PSU for testing.
* You can't boot standard Xubuntu - you need a modified one as linked here - http://jwills.co.uk/joggler-xubuntu/download

also check out http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=2105

The internal flash is not that reliable btw - Booting from USB is safer - as changing a USB stick is easier than replacing surface mounted chips.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Welcome to the forum :-)
Nice find in the trash .
I am no expert with your telio perhaps Pete or Roobarb on here will be better for advice but you will be no good using a standard PC type boot on the Joggler .
Head over to BuZz's site here and try one of these efi boot builds .
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5
Most on here use win32 disc imager to write to use stick then you just plug it in the usb port and switch on the device .
Report back how you get on....
Happy Joggling
helpless_noob

Post by helpless_noob »

The PSU is a switch mode Vanson smp-20wme. But maybe I broke the device when I first tried a cheaper multi voltage PSU that should provide 1.5A@4.5V (I measured it to 5.0V unloaded when it was set to be 4.5V). With the cheap PSU I got constant white screen (no flickering), and I kept it connected for a long time despite the white screen. But when I found the Vanson PSU it passed the white screen and came to the Telio screen. Maybe I can connect it to the red 5V on a molex connector in desktop computer?

I tried first the Xubuntu build from BuZz. But I was not sure if I wrote it to disk correctly because my old laptop didn't boot from it. But that's maybe because my laptop is too old for (U)EFI? Can I test the USB drive by trying too boot it on a newer UEFI computer? I used xubuntu's included GUI to write it to USB, and got 3 partition (boot, swap and data) and the boot partition got the boot flag and another flag. I will try win32 disc imager tomorrow, and maybe try to find some other USB sticks to test.

If I use the reflash tool, what image should I use? I guess it's no problem to try the openpeak v30300 on this device.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

These images won't boot on a PC
, use these tools to make your stick .
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2792g7f1e2k ... 97kQa?dl=0
Format your stick first using the HP utilities tool
Then use the Win32 disc imager to write the image , these two tools work every time for me .
Don't try to reflash until you hear back on here from someone else with a Telio on here.
Also don't mess with the power you will break it ha ha , if you have something coming up on the screen with what you are using , just stay with that power source .
Good luck
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Underpowering the device shouldn't damage it - it just won't work. Joggler's get a white screen when power is supplied into the USB port and not through the normal power input.

When I have measured a 5V 4A openpeak supply without load, I get a reading of around 5.65V, I think. A joggler with no other devices attached will draw between 1 to 1.5 Amps. If your using a power supply at the top end of it's supply capacity the voltage it supplies may reduce and it will get hot. It also will probably not last that long either.

If you have a 5V 2A+ supply, this is good enough for a joggler, but you have a different device.

If your using any other supply, just check the voltage without load and be careful on the polarity. And, as BuZz has mentioned, the quality of the supply (regulated), should be considered. With an unregulated supply you may get your device to boot and it may suddenly crash or hang.

If you've got the logo screen up, there's a good chance it is working or can be recovered.

Let us know how it goes.
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah here guessing it is looping around that 1MB boot chip soldered on to the motherboard. You can try the blind typing stuff to get it t boot and then rewrite the ROM going slow (baby steps).

Relating to power supplies here went to mostly using TP-Link POE power injectors which provide much less amperage than the stock O2 Joggler power supply. (I am pushing it a bit here).

My very first OPOF2B2110 was purchased for around $5.00 USD with no power supply and dead as a doornail. I opened it up and saw a burned up area on the motherboard next to the power input cables. I replaced the part and I was good to go. While open removed the mini PCIE combo wireless and bluetooth card and tried a Broadcom Crystal HD mini PCIE card which worked well with XBMC at the time streaming live and recorded 1080 media.

I am though a bit leery writing new rom's to the OPOF2B2110 device (and I have) because it's so much easier to do the hot swap efi chip thing with the regular Joggler and the OPOF2B2110 EFI boot chip is soldered on rather than being in a socket holder.

If you take apart to its bits and pieces there are LED lamps next to the EFI boot chip when blink when reading or writing to the EFI chip.

The above mentioned; just go slow with it doing baby steps you should be OK.

Start simple first by trying to boot up with a USB stick. When you see the logo its actually looking to boot and not finding boot device.

The blind typing is just a manual DOS like methodology of playing with the EFI boot stuff (only you do not see it).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater