GameStick

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
hawsey

GameStick

Post by hawsey »

Hi all has anyone got one of these

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/im ... ollers.jpg

I just ordered one for £28 delivered from Game , see below

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores ... _submit=GO

@pete, these are dirt cheap from Game stop in the US but they won't ship to UK :-( thought it may interest you also , think they are only 20 dollars .

As usual initially it will be just to mess about with but I can think of a number of good uses for it.
Hacking it with xbmc/spmc and other Roms for it seem to be in active development.:-)

Can't wait for it to arrive .
Happy Joggling
pete

Re: GameStick

Post by pete »

Thanks Hawsey!

Just recently ordered 5 Kinects to pick locally here in the Midwest from Gamestop. I got the acknowledgement; then nothing.

This sort of pissed me off (PO'd) and I have more to write about them but its all negative stuff mixed with cusswords (vulgarities et al).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm that's a shame Pete so maybe these gamesticks and accessories are not really available at this price :-( I had even thought of asking you to take delivery and shipping them over to me as I quite fancy an extra controller and a dock .
Will keep looking over here for cheap docks etc
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

@Hawsey,

Not an issue if you want to do that.

Here they have a "service" where you check if the store has whatever in stock. You send the store an email and they acknowledge the stock and email for pick up locally.

Ordering and delivery to me and shipping to you would be no issue for me.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete :-) will look in to it .Pm sent
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Curioius about how you convert a Gamestick to an XBMC box?
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Pete , I will answer your email separately but as far as the gamestick and xbmc there are a couple of options
1.When you fire up the gamestick you need to register etc but once you are in there is a tab that says media and in there their is a thing called Tofu media browser which is once opened you will see in fact XBMC .

2.If you go to the website gamestickers.net there is quite a bit of development recently so it looks like most are flashing new roms to make the device an Android only device and using a version of xbmc called SPMC which runs great ( I have it on my phone )
It can also be made to auto boot in to SPMC , details on the site .

I think the recent price drop is a fire sale and once gone they will be gone .
The docks are not available in the UK from what I can see and the U.S. price of 20 dollars for the Gamestick and 5 for the dock is very cheap ,
Today I tried and played a few movies using the stock software and the xbmc clone tofu and it was very smooth .
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Is there a way to drop an XBMC Linux only OS on to the GameStick?
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm well I did a little research and it seems the Gamestick is pretty much the same as a ATV120 and this does have a Xbmc Linux build , however I can't actually find anyone who has it running like this on the Gamestick yet .
The good news is that 1080 seems to run fine using a Android custom ROM , well according to the gamestickers forum anyway .
Happy Joggling