Open Frame 7e

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
danimal

Open Frame 7e

Post by danimal »

Hi Everybody!

I am a long time lurker but I finally got my hands on a few so I figured I would join up! I recently acquired 3 openframe 7e devices. One of the devices is OpenFrame branded and the other two are Cisco Branded. They all appear to have been used for home energy monitoring.

Upon arrival one of the Cisco devices would not power, but after investigation it appeared to be a burnt out voltage regulator. Once removed the device powered up! (New issue now but all i have to do is solder the power connectors back on) Thanks to this forum I crafted a tool to safely open the openframe chassis. To open i used 4 small pieces of romex wire, folded in half and with the insulation on. I pushed it into all four of the holes in the bottom and the screen popped right out.

Now that I have two working devices and one on the way I started looking at software. On the openframe branded device I was able to boot right into one of the xubuntu distros off USB.

The Cisco device is a different story. I have been unable to get the Cisco device to boot to anything but the stock OS. I started looking for answers but have not been able to find much additional info regarding these Cisco units. If anyone would be able to help point me in the right direction for a BIOS flash method or maybe a way to force boot on the device I would be appreciative!

Anyways, Hello and thanks for the community it has served as a wealth of info thus far and Im sure will continue to do so!

- Danimal
pete

Re: Open Frame 7e

Post by pete »

Welcome to the forum danimal.
The Cisco device is a different story. I have been unable to get the Cisco device to boot to anything but the stock OS. I started looking for answers but have not been able to find much additional info regarding these Cisco units. If anyone would be able to help point me in the right direction for a BIOS flash method or maybe a way to force boot on the device I would be appreciative!
I've only seen pictures of the Cisco device. Guessing that the EFI boot chip is soldered on eh?

Here the energy ones I got were the smaller Open Peaks with the removable EFI boot chip, DECT and Zigbee stuff in them. The 7e's though have the stuff for the ZIF PATA port, mini pcie, mini SD, SIM chips and combo bluetooth and wireless tiny pcie card. Its very modular and the last provided "do all" combination device by Openpeak. I could get the included DECT Openpeak phones to pair fine with these devices.

You could maybe try the EFI blind keyboard typing thing as documented here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/EFI

I have seen some of the Openpeak devices boot and looking first for the OS on the MMC; not finding it reimaging the MMC via an internet firmware upgrade to fix itself; well and making it a bit more resilient.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater