Telstra Openpeak Prototype DECT

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
jimeney

Telstra Openpeak Prototype DECT

Post by jimeney »

I've purchased from ebay a device I'm curious about, it looks like a joggler, but also has DECT hardware on board. It would be great if I could repurpose this as a SIP handset.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Telstra-OpenPeak ... 1564160363

Does anyone here own one?
roobarb!

Re: Telstra Openpeak Prototype DECT

Post by roobarb! »

I'd love to - I've been looking at exactly that unit, but the costs are a little on the high side for getting it to the UK! :)

If you run one of BuZz's Ubuntu distributions from a USB stick (I'd probably choose a Xubuntu one as the desktop will be a bit faster) there's bound to be some telephony software available that could be used. The trick will be getting the handset paired with the base. Pete has played with some units with DECT hardware, so he probably knows better than I the possibilities here!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

I ended up paying $75 including postage and import duty, they are really dropping in price. That equated to just over £40 posted to the UK, which is about the going rate here anyway for a joggler.

There's another one here that should finish around the same price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telstra-Proto ... 2a41690a79

I'll wait until it arrives and have a play. I'll try and DD a copy of the EMMC if you want to explore this for anything useful / interesting.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Wow, you're right - they have dropped in price! Tempted again now...

Definitely, if you could dump the internal memory (and the EFI too) that would be fantastic.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

How would one make use of the combined phone functionality? is it just another way of having an IP phone? Are there other advantages of this hardware?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Do these have the Pata port inside ? Tempted if so :-) .
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

I am going to say yes because today I am using these mostly all over the house. They are all the same. They also include a Zigbee chip on the motherboard. I am thinking the O2 Joggler was a redesign of these devices.

I think I have a prototype as its been hacked up some and its marked O2 on the motherboard. (IE: the zigbee and DECT stuff was removed)
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

pete wrote:I am going to say yes because today I am using these mostly all over the house. They are all the same. They also include a Zigbee chip on the motherboard. I am thinking the O2 Joggler was a redesign of these devices.

I think I have a prototype as its been hacked up some and its marked O2 on the motherboard. (IE: the zigbee and DECT stuff was removed)
Did you have any joy using the DECT handset as a VOIP phone away from the stock OS, or were you able to unlock the settings so you could connect to a SIP server?
pete

Post by pete »

Nope.

I do have the Openpeak DECT phones and they work and connect to original firmware just fine. I also got them to work with my one VOIP service box.

That said the DECT chip is covered and I cannot find any DECT sniffers on the internet anymore. They were plentiful when I wasn't looking for them.

There is a bunch of DECT test applications on the original firmware of these devices.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Were you able to change the SIP server the stock operating system connected to?

Was it simple to gain SSH access?

Thanks,

James
pete

Post by pete »

Never tried.

The ones I have are Verizon based and a few were modded for SSH access and they booted up to only a terminal session.

Let me look for one like this and will post firmware for it.
- Pete

Auto mater
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

I may be bothering you for help soon as I won the DECT Telstra Joggler on Ebay. Seems like it'll be less than £45 delivered, but I won't be surprised if there isn't some additonal import duty attached along the way.
I've never delved very deep into the world of VOIP but if I followed the comments here correclty it seems that the Xubuntu is the best way to go to use the phone on this thing?
pete

Post by pete »

@Jim,

No worries as I like playing / tinkering with the Joggler and enjoy the company here on the Joggler forum.

It's been a while here since I have mostly migrated over to using the telco/energy Openpeak devices. Mostly played with automation stuff on them.

I did test the VOIP client / server stuff in Linux and it worked great.

The missing piece though was the integration of the DECT phones and ZigBee energy chip.

I do still want the nightstand Openpeak device to run the automation and the phone stuff and look forward to playing some more.
- Pete

Auto mater
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

Dear everyone,

Anyone succeeded in modifying the sip account settings on the openframe2 device with DECT handsets? I have searched the device but cannot find where to change the sip settings. Will love to use this as a sip phone with another provider.

Any help will be appreciated. I am suspecting the file libsip.so under tango has the settings but no way to decompile that file or how to edit that.

Hoping for good news.

Regards
nullpointer

Post by nullpointer »

sanjap wrote:Dear everyone,

Anyone succeeded in modifying the sip account settings on the openframe2 device with DECT handsets? I have searched the device but cannot find where to change the sip settings. Will love to use this as a sip phone with another provider.

Any help will be appreciated. I am suspecting the file libsip.so under tango has the settings but no way to decompile that file or how to edit that.

Hoping for good news.

Regards
Try to find ofmac.cfg file.