NAS with LMS

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
monkums

NAS with LMS

Post by monkums »

After years of running a Windows Home Server with LMS serving 3 jogglers with no issues time has come to change. Where as once we had 5 pcs/laptops in the house we're now down to one barely used PC with the rest of the family all on iOS/Android/Xbox/PS devices. This makes the Windows bit of the server redundant as we now have nothing to back up except media. My plan is to uses a couple of drives from the server to put into a NAS box.

As I know that some forum members run NAS with LMS I was looking for recommendations as it's not an area I've looked at before.

Must haves:
LMS obviously
Share media via DNLA or similar to phones/tablets/jogglers/media streamers
Remote access to files
Ability to back up files to separate HDD
Not be too pricey

Nice to haves:
The ability to copy music/photo/video to it without a PC
Cloud storage/access
dwl99

Re: NAS with LMS

Post by dwl99 »

Most Linux-based NAS boxes can be made to run LMS. I have it on my WD MyBook Live and previously had it on a Buffalo Linkstation. There's a rather good one for sale here http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=1993 that already has LMS installed :)
JimbobVFR400

Re: NAS with LMS

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

OTOH I've found unless you have a relatively powerful, preferably x86 based NAS then you can compromise it's utility as a server, things like performance and compatibility with plugins and server side reencoding of formats can be an issue.

You already have 3 devices that in my experience are perfect for running LMS having a decent Atom processor, enough memory and a readily available image suitable for the job (SqPOS)

I ended up using my existing NAS mounted as shared storage by the Joggler running LMS.

I guess it depends on how you would be using LMS, what transcoding might be needed, how large the local library is etc etc, so you may find a NAS more convenient to run LMS but for my uses with a largeish library of nearly 20k tunes in various formats, some of which need transcoding to play, use of radio stations that also require transcoding to play and a desire to use some of the LMS plugins (Music and artist information and a few others) I would have needed a fairly high end NAS to achieve this. My setup of a low end NAS for storage only with LMS on a Joggler comfortably handles everything I've needed it to so far.