Joggler Offspring

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
pete

Joggler Offspring

Post by pete »

Just a new family picture.....Almond +

First time playing with Zigbee stuff.....neato stuff....
Almond+.jpg
Zigbee-1.jpg
Zigbee-2.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Re: Joggler Offspring

Post by roobarb! »

How are you finding the Almond+? Almost backed that project on Kickstarter... :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Fun.

Its really beta still. I did find that it updates an XML file dynamically.
OZ1.jpg

Code: Select all

BusyBox v1.17.3 (2014-03-11 18:45:01 IST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

______   _      __  __   _____   __   _   ____       __
|  __  | | |    |  \/  | |  _  | |  \ | | |  _ \   __|  |__
| |__| | | |    |      | | | | | |   \| | | | \ \ |        |
|  __  | | |__  | |\/| | | |_| | | |\   | | |_/ / |__    __|
|_|  |_| |____| |_|  |_| |_____| |_| \__| |____/     |__|

S E C U R I F I  Home Automation
root@AlmondPlus:~#

Code: Select all

root@AlmondPlus:/almond/config# ls
2gig
eurotronic                 
horstmann                 
schlagelink
BeNext                     
everspring                 
intermatic                 
trane
ZWnky                      
everspringct               
leviton                    
waynedalton
act                        
express_controls           
manufacturer_specific.xml  
wenzhou
aeon_labs                  
fibaro                     
manufacturer_specific.xsd  
zwave.me
danfoss                    
frostdale                  
northq                     
zwcfg.xsd
device_classes.xml         
ge                         
options.xml                
zwscene.xsd
device_classes.xsd         
greenwave                  
options.xsd
device_configuration.xsd   
homeseer                   
rcs
duwi                       
honeywell                  
remotec
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

Hi Pete,

I'm maybe missing somethig here, I suppose the Almond makes the integration of Zigbee straightforward, but is it not just a wireless serial protocol/hardware solution?

I ask as Zigbee shields have been available for some time for Arduino and projects such as the Livebox home automation:

http://www.dbzoo.com/livebox/hah

Make integrating the Joggler and Arduino relatively straightforward. (utilising the xAp protocol).

In essence isn't Almond simply integrating Joggler/Livebox/Arduino+Zigbee ?

I don't see additional funcitonality, just convenience, which given the addtional funciotnality of each of the above named components seems to come at a cost of loss of functions (and larger screen size of the Joggler).

Interested to hear your thoughts on the unique proposition of the Almond+ compared to the Livebox solution.

BTW in the first picture above the tiny antenna on the "Furby's" head is the wireless min pci card that is inside of the OF2 or Openpeak 7e.
pete

Post by pete »

I suppose the Almond makes the integration of Zigbee straightforward, but is it not just a wireless serial protocol/hardware solution?
Yes and no. Securifi is providing an API and its using C+ and folks have warmed up to it. Some not; being cold to it.
In essence isn't Almond simply integrating Joggler/Livebox/Arduino+Zigbee ?

I don't see additional funcitonality, just convenience, which given the addtional funciotnality of each of the above named components seems to come at a cost of loss of functions (and larger screen size of the Joggler).

Interested to hear your thoughts on the unique proposition of the Almond+ compared to the Livebox solution.
Yeah it is sort of. I am not familiar with the Livebox solution. Note I am not an employee of Securifi. I am moderating the forum there as here.

That said I have participated also getting Almond + and Zigbee trinkets to play with. It will be offered as an "all in one" tiny box automation and router / firewall solution.

I just googled it to look at a Livebox. Very nice.

The Almond + is a tiny little combo with a plugnplay tiny touchscreen device. Well and I really like the size of the Joggler capacitance screen. I mean I have some 20 sprinkled around the house like a little rabbit population bump.

Its using Gb wireless which can be an AP and repeater. It was "new" when initially proposed and now its sort of a standard.

The USB port now is also 3.0. It does connect to the "cloud" and currently there is a beta Android application for it.
I don't see additional funcitonality, just convenience,
As you write. Its a convenient little "doo all" box. It does a little of everything.

I am still only playing with it. It's got OpenWRT as a base with an Overlay GUI interface (touchscreen) and web.

It is a one of a kind device. That said there are already "copies" of similiar devices now coming in from the Pacific Rim.

What is neato is that you can set up the entire box using the touchscreen interface; plug n play.

Give me more "food for thought" on how you would use the tiny combination automation/firewall/router?
- Pete

Auto mater