Now Tv

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
hawsey

Re: Now Tv

Post by hawsey »

I got this yesterday
After a real mess on trying to get connected I eventually managed to get signed in and after a forced update I was up and running .
In the Roku store there was a Upnp channel called TV go or similar and also lots of radio stuff ...
I tried the upnp streamer but video from the xbmc server would not work , however my music was fine and streamed perfect .
No hacks tried yet , tomorrow is another day
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Decorating the bedroom at the minute so no carpet and this morning the new now TV tiny remote fell off the bedside cabinet straight down a hole that looks smaller than the remote where I have taken the skirting boards off , ooooops
So no more tinkering until a floorboard is lifted !!
I did think of getting my son to stick his tiny hand down and have a feel around for it , however a divorce was not in my plans this year so I have thought better of it .
:-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Ebuyer sell fibre optic endoscopes quite cheaply :-)
pete

Post by pete »

Yup my very favorite lighter (well it was a memento) still sits under my oldest car seat in some sort of a vent.

I have tried magnets and little draw strings to get it and have had no luck. Its been over 10 years now and every once in a while I think about it.

I would have to remove the seat to get to it.

I have done similar with little bolts dropping into the engine compartment while playing with the automobile. I did purchase this tiny "super-magnet" on a telescopic stick which has helped me some.

I think you will find the little device right away Hawsey; once the floorboards are removed.

Think of it as an archeological dig adventure; tell us the outcome....;)
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ha Dave , thanks for that lol , nope the board will have to come up ,
Pete , Likewise let us know if you get your lighter :-)
I lost my old grandads wedding ring whilst building a dry stone wall around a house at work one day , I went over the whole area with a metal detector but to no avail , I am happy though to think it is in the wall which could well be there for 100s of years and will one day give someone a nice surprise
I was gutted at the time though ......
Will report back
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

OK, I've played around with Mediabrowser & Plex and have to say that Plex wins. Mediabrowser is very customisable and has a nice interface but every time it starts on the Now TV box it needs to re-scan your library which takes ages through my NAS. Plex remembers your library and there's also a very good free Android app to stream media from your Plex Media Server to your phone or tablet https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... plexremote
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

pete wrote:Yup my very favorite lighter (well it was a memento) still sits under my oldest car seat in some sort of a vent.

I have tried magnets and little draw strings to get it and have had no luck. Its been over 10 years now and every once in a while I think about it.

I would have to remove the seat to get to it.
What about fixing a short(6-8 inches) length of garden hose etc to a hoover flexi-hose with insulating tape. Might get enough suction to lift it out? :?:
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Turvey.

Yup; the lighter is made of brass and sort of heavy. I think where its sitting is a vent to pass heating and cooling to back section of the vehicle such that the section where it fell is narrow and the section where it sits is a bit wider.

The vehicle these days is not driven and sort of in storage of sorts. It might be my age; I did try to do a DIY on it this past summer. I had it lifted on jacks while working underneath it. For whatever reason something slipped and I had to move a jack really quick; that said I moved the jack under the transmission cooler and punched a hole in it dumping all of the transmission fluid on me and the garage. I did have to have the vehicle towed on a flatbad to take it to the repair shop and it did need a new transmission cooler. (the old one was some 30k miles old).

You got me looking for the DIY this morning to remove the seat.

I found the DIY to remove the seat googling a bit here. It happened over 10 years ago and I had given up.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showp ... ostcount=1

Here is where the lighter fell. It was a gift that I got in the 1980's while staying in a little town in the mountains close to Austria. I do recall getting to a point where I would sit in the little town square and drink wine and coffee and play boccie ball and talk politics with a bunch of "old" town folks; fond memories.

Really into history though; always have been. On my last visit to the UK I always walked everywhere. That said I would get up extra early in the morning and ended up walking every morning to the office different ways and meeting a very old women who walked as well as me and would tell me about what it was I saw as I walked. She was old enough during the war to remember all kinds of stuff. She did answer all of my questions relating to the why and what it was that I was seeing....
lighter-seat-2.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Can you see it Pete or so you just know its there somewhere ?
You could make a tiny tar baby type of sticky thing and put it on the end of a metal coat hanger or welding rod and just clag it to that and drag it out :-)
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:Can you see it Pete or so you just know its there somewhere ?
You could make a tiny tar baby type of sticky thing and put it on the end of a metal coat hanger or welding rod and just clag it to that and drag it out :-)
Maybee some sticky fly tape wrapped around a cork pushed into the welding rod and taped on first with electrical tape :-)
Ohh and I fished out my remote for the Now tv....
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you for the suggestions.
Can you see it Pete or so you just know its there somewhere ?
Yup the tiny opening is under the seat. I cannot really see it but I can feel it.

I can move the brass lighter or feel it with a wire; but the opening is just a slit and it opens up to a larger area which appears to be some sort of heating or AC ventilation compartment.

The lighter dropped under the seat many years ago; and while trying to get it while driving I pushed it into the compartment.

Removing the seat will let me do a visual where its at; but still not retrieve it as the whole compartment is covered except for the little slit.

There are also more electronics there than what is depicted in the above picture. Seat has heating, memory position and a subwoofer built into the floor board (IE: never seen a subwoofer installed under a seat in a car before). Its prewired for just about any option (even rear passenger monitors) . More wires to disconnect though.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I couldn't resist, Now Tv now installed with Plex Rarflix Dev with Plex Media Server running on the Acer Revo, and Wow Plex really is very slick and works well.
I have added the unsupported apps.bundle and now have Itv player, ice films, navi x etc
I have also discovered friends sharing and connected up with a mate of mine and I must say it is all working great :-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm glad you got your remote back from the mice :D
I had never heard of rarflix, thanks for the tip. Have just installed it & looking forward to playing with it. What is this apps.bundle of which you speak?

I can feel a second NowTV box for the kitchen telly coming on!
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've been tempted by these due to the very low cost and my parsimonious nature ;) but I've been put off by the fact that I have to run Plex Media server on quite a hefty machine as well as run the small box; not very eco-friendly. For this reason alone I would be tempted to change the habits of a lifetime and buy a more expensive Roku box.

The one thing that's prevented me buying a Roku box (or NowTV) is its locked down nature. DNS settings can't be changed on the device, which is a biggie for people who use a DNS redirect service like UnoDNS or unblock.us. It's true that DNS settings can be changed on the router but some routers and ISPs (like mine) don't allow this.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Download the latest zip from here, unzip to say your desktop.
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... -appstore/
Ignore the instructions and on windows anyway go to the plex server icon in the system tray, bottom right on my revo,
Right click it, upon plugins folder and put the unzipped folder in there :-)
It will then show up on your PMS as unsupported apps store and install what you like, they then show up on your now tv box......
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Navi x not working but ice films fine after tweaking speed down
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

gegs wrote:I've been tempted by these due to the very low cost and my parsimonious nature ;) but I've been put off by the fact that I have to run Plex Media server on quite a hefty machine as well as run the small box; not very eco-friendly. For this reason alone I would be tempted to change the habits of a lifetime and buy a more expensive Roku box.

The one thing that's prevented me buying a Roku box (or NowTV) is its locked down nature. DNS settings can't be changed on the device, which is a biggie for people who use a DNS redirect service like UnoDNS or unblock.us. It's true that DNS settings can be changed on the router but some routers and ISPs (like mine) don't allow this.
I know its a different sort of thing but if I was going to spend Roku box money I would probably get an Android xbmc box just for the sheer tinkering capabilities :-) dont know about dns though why do people use that? I am clueless..
Ive just ordered another Now tv box for my parents and if it works as I expect, I can have a folder of stuff for them on my revo running PMS and they can watch it at their house, will report back.....
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

hawsey wrote:I know its a different sort of thing but if I was going to spend Roku box money I would probably get an Android xbmc box just for the sheer tinkering capabilities :-) dont know about dns though why do people use that? I am clueless..
Using a DNS redirect service allows you to access things like US Netflix (or Norwegian, Mexican, Canadian etc.) and allows you to use certain geo-locked sites like Hulu (but don't say I told you so ;) )
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

hawsey wrote:Download the latest zip from here, unzip to say your desktop.
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... -appstore/
Ignore the instructions and on windows anyway go to the plex server icon in the system tray, bottom right on my revo,
Right click it, upon plugins folder and put the unzipped folder in there :-)
It will then show up on your PMS as unsupported apps store and install what you like, they then show up on your now tv box......
Cheers, just looking into it now...
EDIT crikey, some of the unsupported apps look a bit risqué :lol:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Step away from the apps B-)
Happy Joggling