Now Tv

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
hawsey

Re: Now Tv

Post by hawsey »

Just got the Plex app running and I must say it is a real thing of beauty on my nook hd :-) you can either watch on the nook or on any now tv device on the network...
Watching lego movie channel with the boy 600 movies!!!!
Loving this.
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Glad you're enjoying it! What tweaks did you do to get Icefilms running? The app on mine can never connect to the server to stream although I can browse the films on offer.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yes thx for the heads up B-)
Go to the settings and tweak down to 480p, you might also have to try a few streams before it works, can take a while to start but once its streaming its all good, I find that anyway with ice films.
Hey mr dwl I noticed your post on HUKD about the 3TB HDD B-)
Still think I will go for an Hp proliant at some point but at that price you could buy just for the hdd....
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

Is that the WD My Book NAS? If so, it looks so much better than my iomega one - well you can install LMS on it at least. It would be great to have a NAS that ran Plex though.

I've seen the WD My Book for £99 and am sorely tempted but since I'm not working at the moment it will have to wait.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I thought the WD My Book Live NAS for 90 quid was too good to pass up! Will need to get the Zyxel NSA210 on fleabay once the WD is all set up. The NSA210 has been a great little workhorse though. I also splashed out on a Bose Soundlink II bluetooth speaker so yesterday was an expensive day out :-(

I've been keeping an eye on the Proliant Microserver but eventually decided that it would be too big & noisy & power-hungry for my simple media-streaming needs!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I know David, I think I could end up with one of those too, very tempting :-)
I thought the Hps were low on power, more research needed lol
A friend has W8 booting XBMC on one, he just loaded it up with the hdds he already had and he was good to go.
What will you run Plex ms on now though?
I thought a rasp,pi could do the job for that but prob too low power.
Tempted with now tv boxes just to ditch xbmc ( shock) and go plex :-o
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I just have Plex running on the main PC, tbh most of the video streaming is done from the NAS with Twonky to the Panasonic smart TV. NowTV on the kitchen telly is just for occasional use.

I have used XBMC & WMC on my Revo for a long time but eventually flogged the Revo & bought a Humax box. I haven't looked back since & don't have to spend any time fiddling about with a HTPC.

My next project for the Pi is to turn it into a security camera for our back garden. Once I get any time!
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote: I thought a rasp,pi could do the job for that but prob too low power.
Nope - there isn't a plex server for Pi - just a client

Plex needs a chunky PC to work well.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yeah, its ok on my lowly revo say just streaming one movie not 1080 but a good rip none the less :-) fine on the tv in the bedroom.
Wonder if anyone has done benchmark tests for best low cost / power over on xbmc or plex forums....
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Pi security camera B-) keep us up to date, I know what you mean about no spare time...
Did you notice these cctv wireless cameras http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1013565072
Look very good for the money
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

here you go https://medium.com/random-things/2d5a2d61da3d
I've tried a few of these IP cameras & been quite disappointed with the results. The Pi option above gives HD!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks, do you think the one I linked above would be crappy for me? I like the idea of it and an android app to control it would be great.
I like the rpi project you posted :-)
I got a now tv for my folks and set it up today, sideloaded plexrarflix using my mams nook hd + , logged in with my details, you then have to put a pin in to your plex account.
Bingo all my movies etc at my folks house woo hooo, tried avatar which is hd ish and it streamed no problem and all coming from my revo with hdds attached.
Very impressive and so slick even they could use it easily.
I will probably have issues streaming both ends at the same time I would imagine though
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Don't get me wrong, the webcam you mentioned is good fun but ultimately I think you would be disappointed with the picture quality.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I got a Now TV box to catch up with Game of Thrones before the new season starts. Not bad for a tenner but the very poor choice of channels - and especially the absence of Netflix on the white Sky puck - has nudged me into buying a Roku 2 XS, which has most of the features of a Roku 3 at about half the price, from Ebuyer. I've even found a link that details how to marry the device to my DNS redirect service, which is important to me because I like that function on the Apple TV 2.

My Roku 2 should arrive on Thursday. If the DNS thing works, I'll post the link.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Dwl99 , i just noticed this reply lol , cheers for the heads up , I think you are right :-) don't think I will bother .
Gegs , me and the missus are busy watching game of thrones from the beginning , very good stuff indeed.
I saw the roku2 xs at maplin pretty cheap and almost got one as I am thinking same as you but on the back burner at the mo in case sky ever pull the plug on this plex rarflix malarky .
Still very impressed by the whole Roku thing so far via the Now TV introduction tho
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

The Roku 2 XS is discontinued now, supplies might be limited. To get a box with similar capabilities (ethernet, micro SD slot, motion controller for games) you'd need to go for the Roku 3 at £100. I believe the Roku 3 also has a USB slot* and the ability to accept media cast from Youtube and Netflix apps, none of which are a deal breaker for me. It also has a '5x faster processor', although I don't know what benefit that would be when 1080 video plays just fine on a 5x slower processor ;)

I just checked out the Maplin price for the Roku 2 XS and it was almost £30 more expensive than Ebuyer, even taking into account that I have to pay postage for Ebuyer and it would be free with Maplin.

* EDIT -- I just found out that the Roku 2 XS also has a USB slot on the side (I didn't see one on the back panel photo so I just assumed it didn't have one). Even more of a bargain than I thought.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Well my Roku 2 came and it's fine but not brilliant. Most of the extra channels are pretty ropey unless you like dodgy B movies and cheesy old American TV (which, sadly, I do.)

It's a lot more money than the Now TV box if all you want is Netflix. If you've got that on another device it's probably not worth it. I did find out how to use UnoDNS settings with Netflix though - using instructions from http://bit.ly/1iigzhT

I had to do two things differently from the instructions on the linked page above; one was to choose my laptop's IP address in the DHCP server programme, which is wirelessly connected to the network. If you do this wirelessly too, ignore the instructions to choose 'Ethernet' as an option and choose the one associated with your computer's IP. The other thing was to choose 100 - 254 as the DHCP pool on my router, after I'd set my Roku IP address. My Roku has an IP address of 192.168.0.5, which is well below the DHCP range and it won't be affected if IP addresses are reassigned by DHCP. The only caveat is that if you have to reboot the Roku, it will then be assigned an IP address above 100 by your router's DHCP service (e.g. 192.168.0.105) and you'll have to go through the process again.

Too often I've read that the Roku isn't a DLNA device and can't access content on a NAS. This doesn't appear to be true because there is an app called Roku Media Player which plays media from my NAS. The bad news is that it only supports MKV (H.264), MP4, MOV (H.264) and TS (H.264) video formats. Music support is more comprehensive with AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV (PCM) and FLAC support.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I wonder if Roku Media Player could be sideloaded onto the NowTV box - I think I'll have a look into it! Although Plex is very good on the NowTV box it would be nice to be able to stream straight from my NAS.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

dwl99 wrote:I wonder if Roku Media Player could be sideloaded onto the NowTV box - I think I'll have a look into it! Although Plex is very good on the NowTV box it would be nice to be able to stream straight from my NAS.
Funnily enough I've been looking into this over the past couple of days but it doesn't seem possible. I've got a NowTV box on the way and I already have a roku Lt which is great. Last night I popped Plex on my Zyxel 310 NAS which, once I'd flogged it to death scanning, seems to work well with the sideloaded 'rarplex' app I tested on the Roku ready for the NowTV box.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Just to let all you Android users know, Amazon has the Plex app for 59p (or free!) at the mo http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/plex-ap ... on-1869277
http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/1-50 ... on-1863021