Now Tv

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
offbeatdave

Re: Now Tv

Post by offbeatdave »

NowTV arrived this morning. Installed, made sure any subscription cancelled and RARPlex sideloaded in around 10 minutes. I've just about rejigged media library on Zyxel NAS to be Plex-compatible too so all looking good. Bargain for a simple catch up and media streaming gadget!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

offbeatdave wrote:NowTV arrived this morning. Installed, made sure any subscription cancelled and RARPlex sideloaded in around 10 minutes. I've just about rejigged media library on Zyxel NAS to be Plex-compatible too so all looking good. Bargain for a simple catch up and media streaming gadget!
What rejigging did you have to do?
Are you running a Plex server on the Zyxel itself?
I have the server running on my PC with my video files on a Zyxel. It mostly works well except for TV series where it fails (a not uncommon problem apparently).
Would be neater to have Plex running on the NAS but installation looks a bit daunting.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just needed some renaming and re-foldering to make navigation easy in Plex apps. Plex server is installed on the actual Zyxel NAS. Took a few minutes but guides were easy to follow and I don't mind getting my hands dirty so long as I can recover should I brick anything! Once scanning was done (everything else on NAS ground to a halt - e.g. LMS - whilst this ran) it seems to function fine. RARplex app on the NowTV box was very simple to install.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Any reason to use RARflix over the Plex sideload app that has been around since NowTV first surfaced?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

jimeney wrote:Any reason to use RARflix over the Plex sideload app that has been around since NowTV first surfaced?
If you are happy with that I would stick with it :-)
rarflix is just a tweaked version of that I believe but it works smoother and is in constant development by all accounts .
I used it from the start if getting my now tv and all I can say is it works great .
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've not compared the Plex and RARflix channels but this forum post details some differences:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/1 ... u_plugins/
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Plex Roku sideload app doesn't work with Plex Android anymore because they changed the way the remote controls work. RARflix however works a treat, so it gets my vote.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I fired up my NowTV box after not having touched it for a few months & noticed that there is now a native Youtube channel. It allows you to associate it with a mobile device so you can cast Youtube videos from your Android phone/tablet to the NowTV box just like a Chromecast. Neat!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great find dave, cheers , my little boy will love this to watch his "stampy" videos :-) will let him have a go tomorrow and report back thanks
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

dwl99 wrote:I fired up my NowTV box after not having touched it for a few months & noticed that there is now a native Youtube channel. It allows you to associate it with a mobile device so you can cast Youtube videos from your Android phone/tablet to the NowTV box just like a Chromecast. Neat!
This works great , his tv now feels more like a smart TV with this feature , brill :-)
Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote:
dwl99 wrote:I fired up my NowTV box after not having touched it for a few months & noticed that there is now a native Youtube channel. It allows you to associate it with a mobile device so you can cast Youtube videos from your Android phone/tablet to the NowTV box just like a Chromecast. Neat!
This works great , his tv now feels more like a smart TV with this feature , brill :-)
Chromecast beats Roku hands-down without all the registration/credit card nonsense.