Joggler III - Avaya based Ubuntu 12.04 install

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
pete

Joggler III - Avaya based Ubuntu 12.04 install

Post by pete »

This morning took a new Avaya based Joggler III and created Buzz's USB Ubuntu 12.04 base on a new USB connected ZIF SSD drive.

Guessing cuz I like that the speakers are in front of it rather than in the back of it.

1 - Expanded the 8 Gb build to 16 gb first
2 - Booted up fine via USB port on Joggler II; having issues when trying to boot it up via a USB hub. Not sure if its a power issue relating to the USB to ZIF SSD drive device. Light goes on for the hub but device LED never does light up.
3 - This device has a battery backed up clock and a combo USB / Bluetooth interface.
4 - I was able to pair it up right away with my bluetooth mouse and keyboard
5 - changed regional stuff to US versus GB.
6 - I have yet to take it apart as it was a new out of the box one.
7 - direction here is to solder a zif connector inside for the 16Gb SSD drive freeing up the back USB port. Doing that today with a Joggler II using a sort of manual EFI boot as I cannot get it to default to booting off the EFI SSD first. (another issue another day)
8 - adding a bunch of mono stuff to the initial build. XBMC works fine but stutters on the 1080 HD movies. Earlier testing with a Broadcom Crystal HD mini pcie card works fine for TV streaming; but I lose the wireless / bluetooth port on it. That said I could maybe install a combo WLAN and Bluetooth USB stick inside of it, keep the Broadcom HD card in the PCIE slot and use the ZIF SSD inside of it keeping the back USB port free on it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Re: Joggler III - Avaya based Ubuntu 12.04 install

Post by danfoshizzle »

JOggler 3?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Well ummm...didn't know what to call it...but it was also called an Openframe 7.

It really was the grand grandpappy of the O2 Joggler having been developed before the O2 Joggler or that the O2 Joggler is the great grandchild of the Openframe 7 device. So really its a Joggler I and the O2 Joggler is the Joggler III.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Wow I have missed alot lol, Are the other types of joggler any different hardware wise?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

types of joggler any different hardware wise?
Yup

The Openframe 1.0 "Joggler" has an included ZIF connector for PATA drive, Zigbee Energy chip and DECT Phone chip and same EFI removable boot chip.

The Openframe 7 has a Zigbee Energy chip, DECT Phone chip but no ZIF PATA connector (just traces), and no EFI removable boot chip. It does though have traces for an SD mini card and a GSM socket for telco and neato thing is a mini PCie card slot. I have tested this slot with a Broadcom Crystal HD card for 1080 streaming which it does well.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Ok so the openframe 7 with the mini pcie sounds bloody amazing lol how do I get my hands on of those bad boys?

And cheers for all the info pete, appreciate it :)
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Yup the Openframe 7's were offered as VideoTelephone boxes (new). Really from the description you couldn't tell what it was.

The came new in a box with Openframe logos (nothing about Avaya) and one new Openframe DECT phone and power adapters for both.

They have a removable table stand and could ideally be mounted on a wall. There is one USB, NIC and power port angled downwards in the back and one small custom USB to Camera plug on the top with a little plastic cap on it. They did come with a combo WLAN and Bluetooth mini pcmcia card.

That said these were offered for $35 (good price) but it was a brick and have an Avaya to cloud firmware on it. Like the power Utility models these were just sold "as is" and truely they were bricks to those not familiar with them. I did get a Utility one for $10 USD.

The similiar Telio devices from the EU would "shut down" locking you out; turning itself into a brick.

The "gotcha" part of the Openframe 7's is how to take them apart. No screws initially. 4 tabs are below the LCD that some special tool was used.

That said you can push on the tabs from the bottom of the device one at a time and lift the LCD screen very carefully. Once the LCD screen is lifted out then it exposes the screws that hold the concoction together.

Note that the two mentioned Openframe 7 models are really identical; except that one came with DECT phones and the other came with a Thermostat and Electric meter connectivity. The Openframe 1.0 models were almost identical except for some pieces and the speakers were in the back of the device. (they looked identical to the Joggler o2 boxes).

Openframe 7 that is a combo DECT phone system using the "cloud" a utilizing flash based Linux OS to do just about anything.

Openframe 7 that was "tested" for utility companies using Zigbee chip, GSM, Gb or wireless connectivity to Thermostat and Electric meter.

- Pete

Auto mater