OpenFrames with DECT chips.

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
tschak

OpenFrames with DECT chips.

Post by tschak »

Ok, so.. Good news:

(1) the DECT hardware on the OpenFrames with DECT chips is exposed as a combination of a sound card, and an HID device for control.
(2) These devices show up in the kernel, hidraw0 on my joggler talks directly to the DECT chip.

The bad news?

I don't have a data book on the VegaOne chip, nor do I know anyone who has it, so I can't construct a driver. I'd love to though. Would it be possible for ANYONE with a working DECT setup on their OpenPeak device to hook a Beagle between the two and capture data while using the device?

-Thom
pete

Re: OpenFrames with DECT chips.

Post by pete »

Thom,

The ones you have currently have the standard O2 OS Joggler firmware installed. That said you need to get the Openpeak 2.0 firmware. A copy of it would help you. The Openpeak firmware already includes the zigbee energy stuff and the openpeak custom stuff for the DECT telephony. Both also include software to test either Zigbee or DECT. I have played with it; but nothing else.

Why work? The drivers area already there and built.

The only changes where downloading the configurations from the telco I believe. I can FTP an original image (non modded or replaced) from one of the Openframe 2.0 / Openframe 7's if you give me a link. Easiest to just write the image to a USB stick, mount the stick and look at it sans running it.

Tell us here on the Joggler forum what you see?

BTW I tried to submit for access to your forum over a week ago and never saw anything in my emails?

My preferences though would be to keep the Joggler / Openpeak / Openframe 2.0 related "stuff" here with links to your LinuxMCE references as the grandular DIY stuff. Still have not gotten to the point of yet building the LinuxMCE box. I do have one core duo server ready; just have to find the time.

BTW I did add some more tuners to my MythTV box using a couple of HDHomerun devices. Inside the MythTV box though I put one OTA tuner and one old Nexus Satellite tuner such that the MythTV box is using some 7 tuners (really here don't even watch TV). Wife here watches TV; me I play. My little DBS dish has 5 dual LNB's on it as I have always "played" some with it. (that and I share the LNBs with wife's DBS DVR).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
tschak

Post by tschak »

If the code on the image you talk about is what I think, it'll basically be a black box. Worst case, I need to sniff the traffic to the hid stack, to figure out what needs to be sent and when.

There is already a HUGE win in that the device itself exposes itself using standard USB framing, now I just need to figure out the bytes.

As for sending me the image, how about using a web file sharing service?

-Thom
tschak

Post by tschak »

I've managed to get the telio filesystem image and crack it open. The relevant files are as I expected, black boxed away inside tango. the ONLY library with symbols in it is libdectbase.so, but that's not enough for me to be able to construct a driver. I would need to run the shared lib through something like IDA Pro, to try and get something intelligible.

In the mean time, I've sent an inquiry to NXP Semiconductors, about the chip. I have not opened my jogglers, nor will I. (I have cerebral palsy which prevents me from doing such things) Does _ANYONE_ have the #@$($@#( chip numbers off the DECT part of the board SO I CAN CROSS REFERENCE THEM, PLEASE?!

Come on, guys.
-Thom
pete

Post by pete »

Thom,

OK.

I will take some granular pictures and will try to read the part numbers. What is it I am looking for. You mention NXP; will look.

I do know that the sound chip is different than the O2 Joggler.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
tschak

Post by tschak »

NXP is the company that spun off Philips to handle the Semiconductor division, the chip in question will either have Philips or NXP markings.

-Thom
pete

Post by pete »

Opened up a new Openpeak. It is new inside and out; never utilized as its been in a box.

There is a metal shield soldered over the RF chips.

Guessing it is a telephone hub and pure DECT and there is no Zigbee stuff in it; but that is a guess.

It has one antenna connected to the front of the case and an antenna connector above the metal shielding.

I might be able to take the shielding off heating up the whole shield. This will be a major endeavor for another time.

The heatsink assembly is all metal much more robust than the heatsink in the O2

The USB stick inside is identical to that of the O2.

Interesting too that while the motherboard is labeled Openpeak and it has a Foxconn logo and part number on one side of it. Foxconn ML1 94V-0 which I think its just a generic built by Foxconn number.

I can read the Sigmatel audio chip: STAC 9202X5

I have had no problems though running audio with O2 OS, Linux, XBMC, Android or XP with this chip.
NIC works on everything except for XP; but I have one that works with the internal NIC some 50% of the time.
There is also a microphone connected to the side of the case; guessing it connects to the Vega audio chip and not the Sigmatel (but that is also a guess).

It has a socketed boot flash same as the o2 and 1Gb of play memory and 512Mb of ram.

There is no traces or connectors that appear not utilized except for the two edge ZIF connectors. One intel LPC connector and the other labeled J1 as in the O2.

I put it back together again just adding a 16Gb ZIF PATA SSD over the WLAN USB stick. Nice fit; probably will get warm though to play with another time.

I also just took a brand new Openpeak DECT phone, new battery and new charger. I left it sitting blinking "Handset not registered. select Hansets from Settings screen on the base"

Some reading...

http://www.dspg.com/english/Product.aspx?ProductId=32

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/ind ... g_Dedected

Attached is a picture of what is underneath a similiar sheilding on the Cisco telco Openframe Hub...if this helps any.
This is from a take apart posted here earlier.

The picture actually and the Skyworks chip is Zigbee. So now I do not know what is under that shielding. Unless its both DECT and Zigbee with one antenna connector for each? (Vega audio chip is telltale maybe for DECT?). It is labeled just Openframe. Maybe its really the 1.0 version?

This would be nice because the Openframe 2.0's are different.

The Openframe 2.0's could be the deluxe version because it has maybe DECT and Zigbee plus traces for the SD card, mini pcie socket, USB camera connector and SIM card traces and RTC battery; but it looks incomplete or not a finished product which is kind of odd.

http://www.skyworksinc.com/Products.aspx?CategoryID=63
Attachments
Cisco-1a.jpg
Cisco-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
tschak

Post by tschak »

re: the Foxconn part #, wth? That's a motherboard that Foxconn makes. *boggle*

-Thom
tschak

Post by tschak »

I now have a Verizon labeled OpenPeak DECT handset, but still trying to find a chip # for the DECT chip...

-Thom