Red ring of death

Non Joggler related discussion.
ilovemyjoggler

Red ring of death

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Aaarrrrggggghhhhh. I don't believe it! The xbox 360 has just died....

It'ss developed the 'red ring of death' and, unfortunately, I don't mean a spicy curry related condition. Why oh why do electrical goods always give up the ghost just before christmas (no pun intended :) ). That's xbox live off the christmas list then. Bah humbug!

If anyone has any experience of this I be interested to hear about it before I stick it on ebay.
danfoshizzle

Re: Red ring of death

Post by danfoshizzle »

It can be fixed, but will die again, once a failure always a failure, even reballing the CPU/gpu it will eventually fail again, I use to fix a lot, but I always did it with no warranty for the above reason.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

My deepest sympathies. I don't play games much but my son's Xbox 360 has become indispensable as a family media centre. If it's any consolation the new slim isn't prone to this problem in the same way - just don't block the fan vents! The slim also has wi-fi built in; no more mucking around with dongles and phone calls to support.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

danfoshizzle wrote:It can be fixed, but will die again, once a failure always a failure.
Oh drat. That really wasn't what I wanted to hear but I was expecting it after a brief google search. I guess it's not called the 'red ring of death' for nothing. Thanks for the confirmation....ebay for cannibalisation it is then. :(

gegs wrote:My deepest sympathies.
Aw, thank you :) .
gegs wrote:If it's any consolation the new slim isn't prone to this problem in the same way - just don't block the fan vents! The slim also has wi-fi built in; no more mucking around with dongles and phone calls to support.
This is good to know. There's just no other way. It has to be replaced. I tried to use gentle and not so gentle persusasion towards the PS3 but they're not having it. All the games are xbox. I wouldn't be quite so p'ed off if it wasn't for the fact that on Tuesday we forked out for a replacement tumble dryer as that too died a few weeks ago.

Well at least christmas pressie shopping will be easy this year...a piece of coal and a satsuma for everyone!
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:...a piece of coal and a satsuma for everyone!
And they should think themselves lucky...
My grandmother was a naughty girl one year and got ashes and onions in her Christmas stocking.
pete

Post by pete »

Honestly I don't know anything about what an Xbox or PS3 is....do recall a few years back buying some thing for my son where he would play on line games and talk to people on line....that said the last gamebox I purchased was an Atari 2600 (still have it) in the early 1980's. (not including what I purchased for my son as I never really played with it).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

ilovemyjoggler i can make you feel better (not in a kinky way :lol: ) our gaming pc just died on thursday :x
at least yours will be cheaper to replace than mine !!
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:Honestly I don't know anything about what an Xbox or PS3 is...
Pete, you should consider getting a PS3 as an addition to your home cinema setup. It is the cheapest wi-fi enabled 3D Blu-Ray player with the best features and has regular firmware updates that add extra ones. Sony have just released a very cheap version with a small hard drive that is aimed at those who would mainly like to use it as a media centre. US streaming media services are detailed below:

http://us.playstation.com/psn/psn-services/

The best thing is that access to the Playstation Network (although not the services themselves) is free. To download and use similar services on the Xbox 360 we have to pay £30 - £40 for Xbox Live Gold in the UK on top of service subscriptions.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Andrew1971 wrote:ilovemyjoggler i can make you feel better (not in a kinky way :lol: ) our gaming pc just died on thursday :x
at least yours will be cheaper to replace than mine !!
Well, as they say 'misery likes company'... ;)
gegs wrote:My grandmother was a naughty girl one year and got ashes and onions in her Christmas stocking.

:shock: Harsh! She must have been REALLY naughty!
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
gegs wrote:My grandmother was a naughty girl one year and got ashes and onions in her Christmas stocking.

:shock: Harsh! She must have been REALLY naughty!
Yep! I think she was REALLY naughty.
I think she got her actual presents later that day. The ashes/onions thing was Santa firing a warning shot.
pete

Post by pete »

gegs,

Would you believe that I have a blu-ray player and have turned it on once in the last 6 months. I rip my DVD's and Blu-rays transferring the files over to the NAS box right away. I have to NMTs (sitting on the shelf next to the LCD TV) and have lately gone to just using XBMC on a little Aopen Mini PC. This little thing even has a small PCiE TV tuner in it (which I never utilize). We currently use satellite (actually wife does), broadband, internet TV via PlayOnTV and over the air. Its mostly for my wife as I do not watch live TV.

My son did leave his own gaming stuff in his bedroom cuz he wanted the newest and fastest (PS3 and wii stuff). It still sits in his room as just about the only energy we have lately is to take in a 1.5 hour movie; then we sleep; age thing when you go to bed a 9 PM...

What is
ashes/onions
?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:What is
ashes/onions
?
Read my earlier post about my naughty grandmother ... and let it be a warning to us all this festive season.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks gegs.

Yup I wouldn't plug in my blu-ray player to the internet for any reason as I didn't see it serve any useful functions.

Personally though I am going to a direction with a self sufficient HA system such that it doesn't rely on an internet connection to function but allows me to access it from the internet should I need to remote control my home.

I do not tweet nor use facebook nor any social media services; although I did check them out when they first started. Lately I even keep my mobile phones off even though I have them configured for unlimited text, internet, et al. I do autoforward my cell phones to whatever number I happend to be by though. Neat application, looks for nearest cell tower, triangulates position; switches service to a landline; then I shut it off.

I do see my neices tell their facebook peers when they get up in the morning and what they ate for breakfast. I don't see that serves any useful purpose. That is me though.
Last edited by pete on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:I do see my neices tell their facebook peers when they get up in the morning and what they ate for breakfast. I don't see that serves any use purpose. That is me though.
It's not just you Pete. I have a Facebook and a Twitter account and I very rarely visit or use either. They are such a useless time-sink if you don't have a useful purpose for them. I'm also surprised that people are willing to post up so much personal information; this stuff is manna from heaven for identity thieves.

Having said that, my neighbour is a lecturer in theology and he finds the whole social media thing an enormous help in keeping students informed and for picking up links to online research papers etc. If I had relatives abroad it would also be a great way to keep in touch and to post family photos. I just don't have a use for 'em though.
pete

Post by pete »

I see social media benefits.

I wish it existed when I was in college. I was literally made to utilize a slide ruler for my physics and chemistry classes because calculators were very rare.

...off on a tangent here....

I had to take theology and philosopy classes (mandated to graduate) and the theology professor I had, had a doctorate in philosopy and theology (didn't even know that a doctorate in theology existed). At the time there was no internet, no email et al. He would lecture one week to us then be off to the EU lecturing another week. Basically if I didn't get all while he was lecturing; it was tough luck; no means of asking questions after the lectures et al.

(the course was titled St. Thomas Aquinas; Suma Theologica and the final exam was 4 hours and very stressful; as it was verbal; and most difficult of all of my classes at the time).

That said I did utilize Facebook for a bit keeping in touch with peers internationally when I worked for an Airline a few years ago.

Today with family in the EU mostly talk on the phone and do short emails when they are visiting or when I am visiting there. Still write letters though and send pictures in envelopes concurrently though I did purchase a few of the Kodak picture frames; distributed them for Christmas to relatives and was basically using one web site for a few (300? or so) family pictures.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Now that you've got the tinkering bug the xclamp fix for the Xbox should be worth a try, the kits are cheap enough on eBay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4TEIZqOso
:-)
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

hawsey wrote:Now that you've got the tinkering bug the xclamp fix for the Xbox should be worth a try, the kits are cheap enough on eBay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4TEIZqOso
:-)
You're funny. You have no idea how much you made me laugh! But no... I can't face it at all :D

Besides, I'm up to my eyeballs in decorating decisions. Who knew there were so many shades of white?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

He he he :-) you too hmm
my wife has gone from wanting a complete house makeover to settling for a bit of glossing before the little jolly rotund fellow arrives down the chimney, he better not get any soot on the what is bound to be the still tacky gloss mind
:-o
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

ilovemyjoggler,

Tinker with your PS3 in tiny little baby steps; its not working right now anyways...and you have the support of a whole bunch of folks here.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

hawsey wrote:He he he :-) you too hmm
my wife has gone from wanting a complete house makeover to settling for a bit of glossing before the little jolly rotund fellow arrives down the chimney, he better not get any soot on the what is bound to be the still tacky gloss mind
:-o
You got off lightly. One room's already been repainted 3 times this week - Jury's still out on the final colour... ;) :lol:

pete_c wrote:ilovemyjoggler,

Tinker with your PS3 in tiny little baby steps; its not working right now anyways...and you have the support of a whole bunch of folks here.
That 'can do' mentality and people willing to spend their time helping orhers is what I love about this forum. :)