Pete_c's spitfire

Non Joggler related discussion.
ilovemyjoggler

Pete_c's spitfire

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, not sure if you'll see this but I didn't think I could post off topic on the other thread without being told off!

Wow.

If you have any photos of your spitfire knocking around I'd love to have a look. Beautiful cars... I'm seriously impressed that you've had it that long! Sad that you don't drive it much.
pete

Re: Pete_c's spitfire

Post by pete »

Yes I do. These are pictures when I put the car in storage. Do you have pictures of your Triumph's. When I did drive it; only drove it with the top down. That and I have pictures of taking my children when they were young around the block in it. I did a few modifications to it. Initially just removing the US pollution added stuff, replaced the older ignition with a modern electric ignition and the old mechanical fuel pump with an electric one. Interiorly redid the seats; somewhere then I lost the head rests. I left the old guages and added electronic guages (done in good taste) and put a stereo/AMP/speakers that I could hear well while drive on the expressways here with the top down. I also used to have a hard top for it. "lost" it in a different storage facility (stolen?). I had only put the hard top on it once though. I had a friend with a GT-6 which was really nice. Another with a bright yellow Jensen Interceptor; which was very fast. I did purchase Antique license plates (tags) for it a while ago. I have friend who "picked up" the UK plates for it; didn't ask where he got them.

One day before I am 80 years old will drive it again. It is a fun car to drive. It really takes be back to when I was a teenager (1960's) as that was my first car. I would spend more time in the garage of the house waxing it than driving it at the time. It was a bright orange spitfire with a white convertible top cover. I also has a Jensen Healy Sprite around the same time. This is how I learned about automobiles and fixing them kind of stuff.
Attachments
Spitfire2.jpg
Spitfire.jpg
Last edited by pete on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Your spitfire is truly beautiful. I can see why you have held on to it!

Mine were NO WHERE near as pretty as the spitfire and certainly in a much poorer condition but I always thought they were cute and had really well crafted interiors (walnut?). They were my first cars, considered as classics when I got them, and my workhorses. No modifications by me or by previous owners and certainly not built for speed!

Shame about the spitfire's hard top disappearing but I think they are much better looking as convertibles anyway. Although maybe not as practical in the uk!
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice picture

I have never seen one like that. Here in the US there were not many shipped from Great Britain. The cars feel faster than they really are because you so close to the ground you can see the pebbles in the asphalt. I remember when looking out the rear view mirror and seeing underneath the truck behind me because I so close to the ground.

Even the Spitfire would take a bit to warm up in the winters here. That said once warm it got too warm as your legs/feet stretched into the engine compartment with just a little bit of insulation from the heat of the motor.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:That said once warm it got too warm as your legs/feet stretched into the engine compartment with just a little bit of insulation from the heat of the motor.
That's interesting. I loved that my feet were always lovely and warm in those cars. When I finally moved to a modern car I was disappointed that they didn't heat my feet the same way and I assumed it was because the Triumph had a superior heating system!