Computer slow to start

Non Joggler related discussion.
Turvey

Computer slow to start

Post by Turvey »

Got some computer parts put together for a project I'm working on and I've come across a small(annoying) problem.

When I switch the computer on it takes about 30 seconds until anything happens ie no 'POST' screen no, HD spinning up etc However, once the POST screen comes on it only takes another 30 seconds or so until Win7 Lite (I think) is up and running! :?

Is there a BIOS setting or something else under the hood I'm needing to change to help speed up start-up?

It's an ASUS P5G41-M LX motherboard with 2GB of RAM in it.

Thanks for looking.
dwl99

Re: Computer slow to start

Post by dwl99 »

Have you got the latest BIOS & set it to failsafe settings? Also try taking out the CMOS battery for a minute or even replacing it?
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Cheers dwl ;)

Removed old battery, left out for 5 minutes, replaced with new one. Still the same.

Had a quick look through BIOS settings but couldn't find the 'Failsafe' one you mentioned. Gonna have a swot up on BIOS flashing this evening. Never done it before :shock:
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Would 'Failsafe' be the same as the defaults?

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P5G41T- ... 72?page=59
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes, I'm sure it is. Also try booting the PC with just the one stick of memory and as many things as possible disconnected, e.g. optical drives, sound cards, USB hubs etc. Then try again with a different stick of memory. After that I've run out of ideas!
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Set it to default settings and still the same.

Tried it with everything removed, only mouse connected, only keyboard connected, still the same.

What I have discovered is that if there is only one stick of memory in, it doesn't matter which stick it is or slot it's installed in, it only takes about 15 seconds to start starting as opposed to about 30 seconds with both sticks installed :?

I'll try and figure out this 'reflashing the BIOS' malarky and see what happens :)

It's only a skip-find computer but it's just what I've been looking for ;)

Thanks for your suggestions mate, much appreciated.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

No probs. Try also booting from a DVD with Hiren's Boot CD http://h33t.com/torrent/436259/hiren-s- ... s-original with both sticks of memory installed and run memtest. It sounds as if it may be faulty memory.
roobarb!

Computer slow to start

Post by roobarb! »

Faulty memory is a bummer - one bad stick corrupted the SSD on my work machine last week. Serves me right for not testing it properly, I guess.

Crucial's lifetime warranty appears to be coming good, though. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)