help with dying PC???

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

help with dying PC???

Post by dwl99 »

I realise that this is an unusual place to post this topic but I know that there are many technically competent people on this forum who might be able to give an opinion on this.

My Windows 7 64-bit PC has just started to suddenly shut down, usually after it has been running for an hour or two. The screen just goes black & then it reboots. My PC boots from a 64GB SSD and most of the program files etc are on a 1 TB SATA drive. I'm pretty sure it's not a Windows problem because it also happens when booting into Linux Mint and from an Ubuntu Live CD. My PC has the latest BIOS, WD Disk Diagnostics has not found any HDD problems and Memtest 4.20 reports no memory problems. The CPU temperatures are steady between 30-35 degrees. My PSU is a good brand (OCZ) and the CPU heatsink & fan are clear of dust. I'm kinda thinking that my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 , only 6 months old) might be faulty. Anyone have any ideas? I can usually fix most things PC-related but this one has me stumped.
Last edited by dwl99 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
offbeatdave

Re: help with dying PC???

Post by offbeatdave »

I've had similar things happen on a couple of machines. One I traced to the graphics card, the other to a power supply.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

offbeatdave wrote:I've had similar things happen on a couple of machines. One I traced to the graphics card, the other to a power supply.
Thanks, I might try to get a loan of another PSU before I RMA the mobo. The mobo has onboard graphics.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

It turned out to be the PSU, problem was solved with a new one! Thanks for the advice!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Nice one!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!