Old forum nearly dead?

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Old forum nearly dead?

Post by dwl99 »

I got the following error message when trying to logon to the old forum:

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below."

There was no image displayed. I also got a couple of SQL errors so my guess is that the database has got corrupted again. Anyone else able to logon?
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Old forum nearly dead?

Post by BuZz »

Same problem here.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Hey dwl99

Dan's trying to sell it again... I think it's over.

I suppose you were logging in to post another one of those 'we've all moved' messages...? Maybe they banned you for soliciting members to join another forum. Me, I'm agnostic, but I do like the new forum, run by and for enthusiasts (oh dear there go my admin rights!)..

I may have broken the captcha. I tried to change it to Q&A because the existing one was obviously compromised by bots.

Cheers
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I was getting kinda nostalgic about the Xmas decorations as well....

Never mind, we have a great forum here with no spam & a working messaging system.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

JonB wrote: I suppose you were logging in to post another one of those 'we've all moved' messages...? Maybe they banned you for soliciting members to join another forum. Me, I'm agnostic, but I do like the new forum, run by and for enthusiasts (oh dear there go my admin rights!)..
I think the login issues are soley admin related not related to any issues with users actions.
In terms of admin stuff, I am of the feeling that as little moderation as possible is good, I made one other guy a moderator/admin just so it was secured that not only I was running things (they have complete database access also). i like to think we dont need any moderation over the normal spam removal, and I don't plan on moderating normal users freedom of speech for sure (I did edit some duplicate posts but nothing more).

If there is the likelyhood we need more moderation though, I'd be happy to add you, but the forum is the same for all of us, admin or not, and if it isnt or you lack something, let me know and ill fix it :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

oh and I'm not going to try and sell the forum either hence giving access to someone else ;-). you might also notice no adverts. the most I would ever advertise would be a small footer link to the hosting provider, who give me some free bandwidth on top of the normal I would get for my current hosting fee (I have been using ~ 2TB a month recently)

an example of a site that has a similar link would be http://www.bitfellas.org or http://www.exotica.org.uk
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I would be perfectly happy to have the level of advertising you describe - as long as there were no popups or distracting flash adverts!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dwl99 wrote:I would be perfectly happy to have the level of advertising you describe - as long as there were no popups or distracting flash adverts!
heh no chance of that. plain text link in the footer only to give info about the hosting environment. (I've added it now).
Justblair

Post by Justblair »

I have no issue with a little bit of advertising on the site. Somethin like adwords or adsense would be fine.

The way I look at it is that if the site is funding itself via adverts then its a healthy site that will continue for as long as it's community needs it. If the owner of the site is making a few quid extra in beer money, then that is good too... Sites like these need maintained (the issue with the old site was that the owner lost interest). If someone is rewarded for their efforts then that is fine. I run websites and know roughly how much money a site this size can raise in advertising revenue. It's a modest amount!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I'm far too stubborn though ;) and adverts can be annoying. Been running http://www.exotica.org.uk for 14 years now and I don't ask for donations nor have money generating advertising. I wouldn't rule it out completely forever, but whilst I can afford the hosting fee, I'd rather just handle it myself. I'm also a firm believer in people shouldn't start projects they can't manage to run (not taking into account situation changes of course). So many times I have read the whole "if you dont donate, we are going offline" type thing where users are forced into giving money to keep a site alive and a lot of the time, the hosting fee isn't much and it is more an issue of the admin not willing to put his hands in his pockets.

I host a bunch of sites on this machine (http://malus.exotica.org.uk/), so if I ever did have any trouble, I would ask the admins of the other sites first for a contribution, for all the free hosting I've given em ;-)
dave

Post by dave »

Have just come from the old forum, saw a few posts that said we've moved then stated the old web address, did a quick Google search and luckily this place came up.

Glad to see things are still going strong. Use my Joggler on a weekly basis for music and BBC app. Thought this morning that I hadn't checked for updates recently and so ran the Plug'n'Pimp interface and did a whole host of updates.

Maybe gforums could add a link to this place on the homepage of the Plug'n'Pimp web interface to make people more aware of it.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Glad you have found us!

The admin of the old forum recently posted some stuff saying the old forum wasn't going etc, and that he had updated the captcha. What I don't understand is how he has missed the fact (despite dwl and I pointing it out there), that the captcha is still not working. No users can register and once I had logged out I was unable to log back in as it required the captcha to authenticate myself (due to failed login attempts from bots or similar).

I read he is selling the forum too - not sure what the new owner will do with it - guess we have to wait and see.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dave wrote:Have just come from the old forum, saw a few posts that said we've moved then stated the old web address, did a quick Google search and luckily this place came up.
aah I see what the admin did. He replaced the references to here with his site.

He missed one though.

I can see he might not like everyone deserting, but people were not left with much choice.
dave

Post by dave »

BuZz wrote:I can see he might not like everyone deserting, but people were not left with much choice.
That forum was one of the reasons I stopped finding out about the Joggler... was totally over run with spam from a bot called Betty a few months ago, besides this forum has a much simpler layout and is far easier to find what you are looking for!