Anyone experienced in generic android tablets?

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Re: Anyone experienced in generic android tablets?

Post by dwl99 »

I use Dolphin HD as a browser & it's rock solid.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

danfoshizzle wrote:Anyone ever used an archos tablet? the prices seem good and being archos it should be quality.
Archos are not known for long term software support, having owned an Archos 604 media player. The one that you have to pay extra to support different codecs by way of plugins. Cheeky. After a few software updates they discontinued support even when they were still in the shops. Decent build quality, but the flash sometimes needs reformatting and battery life is kinda short. One of the kids has it now.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Spec looks OK, just be aware that there will be little or no community support for some of these Chinese tablets unless they are clones of better-known devices. For example, it may be a struggle to get some of them rooted.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Don't be bashful, surely you mean Ainol.....
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Avoided the ainol word as it makes me giggle, ainol elf sounds like something I would rather it didn't lol
more to come!!

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

danfoshizzle wrote:Novo elf for a bargain anyone? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ainol-Novo-7- ... 319wt_1185
That was a great find Dan - was sorely (maybe I should choose other words given the manufacturer's name) tempted, but didn't go for it. Seems it went up to £129 a day later...

Still, will keep an eye on this seller.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

danfoshizzle wrote:Anyone ever used an archos tablet? the prices seem good and being archos it should be quality.
Got an Archos 70 from CPW in the XMas sale / clear-out. Is well built. Haven't really used it much, but am starting to. It has been a PITA (whoops getting Ainol again...) with charging as it has to be quite warm. To coerce it to charge after a long spell on no usage, I need to put it on top of a hot water bottle and underneath the duvet !

Apart from that, the screen is nicer to use than the Jogglers I have got touchy with, and apart from that, haven't really used any other TS devices, apart from PDAs of yesteryear.

HTH
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Been researching this more and more lately, seems the vega is for me, active community, ubuntu booting, and the tegra 2 chip is nice too.

Was going to be for the missus originally, then I saw how well it played gta 3 :D
more to come!!

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

The vega's for £120 are great value and having a big active community, that will keep them going for a long time makes a big difference.

The Ainol is a bit of a gamble, but things do seem to be looking better for it.

I can do without one at the moment, despite wanting to have one, so it's probably best to leave it that way.

I wonder what the next big thing in tablets will be and when it's likely to be at a nice price point - I guess we can see what will be from the new iPads.

If the Ainol's drop much lower - say down to £50 then I will be very tempted. But I think in the state of the world economy at the moment production quantity will be smaller and life-spans longer, so people looking to get a lot for a little (that's me) will have to wait longer.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

A word of warning for anyone considering the ainol elf, they have app compatibility issues due to their MIPS processor!

Friend in Germany bought one and said it was rubbish aswell, oh well and to think it looked such a promising little tablet :(
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I just upgraded all my iDevices to IOS 5.1. The new iCloud syncing between devices is quick and seamless for calendar entries, contacts, notes, reminders and probably other things that I've not discovered yet. I haven't jailbroken them since the update as the apps I use frequently, I've paid for. The iPad 1 is still a great tablet.

I know Dan's a bit anti-apple (and I've been guilty of that in the past) but you can jailbreak and run unsigned apps, change the theme, etc.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Would not be anti Apple if they did not price stuff so highly, I mean don't get me wrong would love an iPad, but just not anywhere near affordable for me, whatever platform I end up on though will be starting developing apps for it, I have a few ideas I have yet to see.

An iPad though would let me create my own beats, and then I could lay some vocals of my own down on one, that is something lacking on android, it does not have any decent music creation apps.
more to come!!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi Cinajohn ,
What model android tablet do yo use ;-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

He is a spammer - look at his signature :-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ooops
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

androidonefan wrote:Just got the Ainol novo 7 Aurora from SpeMall.com, it's far more better than the Elf and it's also for $169.99 shipped now...
All i want to say is: SpeMall is a reliable place for us to get cheap tablets from China, i like the way they do business. they respose all of my questions promptly and politely, and the communication on facebook was very helpful. And it seems these guys have a good renationship with Ainol company(i've got some info from their facebook page). Just satisfied with their product and service! The screen of Ainol Aurora is superb.
I also followed spemall on twitter and they posted up a picture of 500 units that arrived a few days ago. Go online at about 1-2pm and I find you can usually talk live online to someone. And here you can see a video for Aurora stock from their site. Expedited delivery for me was a week but that had Easter in there so 3-4 days I reckon.
Hope you all get your beloved tablet soon!
Spammer - ignore!
@Buzz - can you block these spammers' IP addresses? They've been clogging up this thread quite a bit recently.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Well quite unexpectedly we, (good lady and myself) decided to get our two and a half year old an Android tablet after experiments with Android on the Joggler which he loved :D
I was on the case so to speak and pretty quickly decided on an Scroll Excell 7" 3D HD etc , it arrived super quick from the BT store and it has amazed me how quick he can quit an app and begin playing on another before i have even realised !!
There seems to be a bit of a community going on out there and ICS ROMs available , but unless something goes wrong i will be leaving it as it is ;don't want to face the Wife and the son after a botched upgrade attempt :lol: .
I ordered a mini HDMI cable £2.90, silicon case for a Kindle fire (hope it fits ) and a 32Gb card .
The cable arrived super quick and i was dead pleased with myself , apps on 46" TV , HD movies etc , little on and myself summoned Mammy to the living room to do a demo , Mammy was not happy " i thought the idea was everything would be on a little screen , no cables !!!!"
They just don't understand .................. ;) .
Looks pretty good up to now .
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

My wife has cablephobia too :-( - I don't understand it, I like cables!
If your tablet has clockworkmod recovery or similar available (sadly lacking for the Joggler) it would be well nigh unbrickable after a bad ROM flash as long as you had made a backup.