Anyone experienced in generic android tablets?

Non Joggler related discussion.
danfoshizzle

Anyone experienced in generic android tablets?

Post by danfoshizzle »

Looking at these today, prices have come right down, anyone experienced in what they can or cant do? or what ones are good and what ones are bad?
Ie the epad/apad/eken/whatever,
Cannot afford one yet, but researching before I can, wont be for 2-3 months lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
jazzmista

Re: Anyone experienced in generic android tablets?

Post by jazzmista »

Try this, looking at getting one myself... http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB008.php Really good spec for the money, slightly dodgy name though...
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

spec looks good, although too pricey for me lol looking inthe 50 to 99 price bracket
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I would say that the fabulously-named Ainol ticks all the boxes in terms of spec. I would probably get one if it had a 10" screen instead of 7". I had a 7" Kogan Agora tablet a while back & now have a 9.7" HP Touchpad & I definitely prefer the larger screen.

Whatever you get, make sure that there is community support & custom ROMs - if you get some obscure Chinese tablet you may end up stuck with whatever version of Android is on it. You could do a lot worse than head over to xda developers & see what's going on.

And finally - avoid ANYTHING with a resistive screen, no matter how cheap.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah been an xda reader for years, cheers for the advice dwl
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

The whole world and his wife are selling tablets, its crazy!!
more to come!!

dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

If you don't mind less that perfect viewing angles the Advent Vega is a lot of tablet for the money. It has a dual core CPU & regularly comes up on fleabay as a DSG refurb for 130 notes, e.g. here http://tinyurl.com/7699php. There is also enormous support for it http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/. I flashed one for someone at work & was quite impressed with it. And it'll be very sellable whenever you decide to upgrade (or am I the only person that has a compulsion to upgrade all my gadgets every few months?).
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

No, your not alone, its affording it that's the bad part lol
more to come!!

dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Advent Vega now down to 117 squid http://tinyurl.com/7t9sky4 - it's a lot of tablet for the money :-)
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I nearly got a vega myself, but the android Market is a bit slim for decent music making apps, so forked out the extra for an iPad 1 bargain a week before the 2nd version came out. There are a load of alternative roms over at modaco.com and others. I think by now they have honeycomb running on it. For a tinkerer like you, dan, it might be the one to save for. :)

I have a crappy android 1.6 tablet in the garage that belongs in a landfill. Make sure you do your research!!! :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Now android on an ipad, lol ;i had seen it booting on a iphone / touch though. Just had a look at Modaco site and they are voting at the mo on tablets so might be worth a look in a few days at the results .
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

You know me lol, the ainol elf is growing on me though, people already making custom roms for it over at xda, those android 1.6 tabs aint to bad for browsing, my friend got one and it looked ok, although you have to deal with resistive TS
more to come!!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just had a look at the demo / unboxing of that aninol elf thingy ooooo gadget fever strikes again ....looks very nice :-)
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yeah looks a lovely gadget, missus may be getting one for our anniversary, its for her to use on the sofa lol
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

danfoshizzle wrote:Yeah looks a lovely gadget, missus may be getting one for our anniversary, its for her to use on the sofa lol
My ex wife would get presents like that, DVDs and other stuff, but she would complain that it was really something for me. We divorced. :D :D :D :twisted:
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Lol will be no divorcing going on, she wanted an iPad but I am a bit anti apple, so the its either the ainol or a vega!
more to come!!

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

androidonefan wrote:[Spam removed]
SPAM? [admin - yes looks like it]

But sweet price - 139.99 USD with free shipping - that is about £88.24 on Saturday's (latest I have from Oanda) interbank GBPUSD exchange rate of 1.58640.

Typically, how much tax and whatever would I have to pay on this ? I know having items sent by regular postal service usually attracts less attention.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I've just installed ICS on my HP Touchpad & it's very smooth. Camera & mike not working at present but Dalingrin is working on a new kernel. Touchpad prices seem to be on the way down & the quality of the components & screen is way better than most of the generic Chinese tablets.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Anyone ever used an archos tablet? the prices seem good and being archos it should be quality.
more to come!!

yugo

Post by yugo »

dwl99 wrote:I've just installed ICS on my HP Touchpad & it's very smooth. Camera & mike not working at present but Dalingrin is working on a new kernel. Touchpad prices seem to be on the way down & the quality of the components & screen is way better than most of the generic Chinese tablets.
Is the browser any better than the webos one? Fed up with page reloads and loss of wireless etc