Linux Mint 12 problem on PC

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Linux Mint 12 problem on PC

Post by dwl99 »

I thought I would give Linux Mint 12 a go on an old PC I had lying around. Whenever it starts up there is no taskbar or start button. There are also no minimise/maximise/close buttons on any of the windows. I had a quick google but none of the suggested fixes (mainly doing things with windows-decorator) worked. Any ideas?

Thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Linux Mint 12 problem on PC

Post by BuZz »

I would think the linux mint forum / irc channel would be more useful place to ask. looks like you are missing a window manager. are you booted into mate desktop or gnome3 ? i dont run linux mint anymore at home, but xubuntu now.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Looks like it was a dodgy graphics driver - I reinstalled it with a PCI-E graphics card instead of the onboard graphics & it runs fine now.
yugo

Post by yugo »

Any good dwl99? Was thinking of putting mint on an old laptop. Had ubuntu on it dual boot a while back which worked well but needed the space back.
Is xubuntu better then BuZz?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Matter of opinion really. I moved to xfce rather than going the gnome3 route - and at that time there wasn't the gnome2 fork mate etc. but since I'm using xfce it does the job for me.
yugo

Post by yugo »

Ah ok, not very up on all the linux distros. Will download both and give them a trial run.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

yugo wrote:Any good dwl99? Was thinking of putting mint on an old laptop. Had ubuntu on it dual boot a while back which worked well but needed the space back.
Is xubuntu better then BuZz?
Linux Mint had a prettier interface but was quite slow & prone to freezing on the ancient PC I installed it on. Xubuntu is running faster & smoother. I prefer Mint on my main PC & have no problems with it. So I think you've done the right thing by trying them both.