my obsession with tiny gadgets

Non Joggler related discussion.
danfoshizzle

my obsession with tiny gadgets

Post by danfoshizzle »

Just realised today after a conversation with someone, I am obsessed with small gadgets!!

Here are some of the gadgets I have, or would like to own.

The o2 Joggler:

I love my Joggler, so much so that I developed a few windows XP images for it, the curious thing about this is the fact that it uses an EFI bootloader, such a fun device and a pleasure to dev for

The raspberry_pi:

Looking forward for the march (guesstimate) release, 25$ dev board yes please! I can see myself using a few of these in various projects, including an htpc, pocket server, and a mini arcade cabinet

Mini keyboard:

I use my mini keyboard whenever possible, its a joy to use when feeling lazy, as you can sit back and relax yet still have input, use it on my Joggler, and plan to use it on the Pi

Xmini max speaker:

This is another gadget on my daily use list, sound is impressive for something so small, It even handles drum'n'bass so I have no complaints about it.

SFF/USFF PC's:

I like most of these, I like the fact that they take up little space, but I also love the fact that although small, they can be mighty like the alienware x51

And lastly some randoms,

Ever seen the xbox micro:

yeah, thats an XBOX 1, I wish you could buy these as I think it looks freakin awesome, buzz should like that one lol

And not forgetting the little laptop that never gave up:

The Asus eeepc 701, the tiny laptop that started the netbook craze, I have never owned one of these but going to get one soon, just so I can I owned one!

Do you have any tiny gadgets? fancy sharing a picture, I need ideas so my collection of tiny tech can grow, also if you see any mods of current gadgets, drop a comment in the thread :P now I just need to find a way to shrink my meat hands to be able to use it all properly lol.
Last edited by danfoshizzle on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Re: my obsession with tiny gadgets

Post by pete »

Dan here's a picture of my 901A next to my older gadget. A bit thicker and it had a touchscreen. Case is cracked but it still boots up. Think it was using some newer intel mobile processor; short lived though. It ran Windows 95/98 and Linux way back. Not as tiny as that little Toshiba laptop.

I have to redo the picture. It was way to big...
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Linx B-Tube Dan
love it
Use it to stream from phone ,its very sleek :D
Attachments
2523888013_ff8cabe33c.jpg
Happy Joggling
maethor

Post by maethor »

If you do get an eeePC, you might want to try running Android on it. I have a 700 (2G Surf) and it found new life when I installed Android x86 on it. I found the 2G disk size too small to be useful with any other OS that I tried (including the one from the factory). I used to run Xubuntu on an SD card, but it was painfully slow.
guidows

Post by guidows »

well, i have also a "little" obsession with tiny underpowered gadgets. I don't know why but is fascinated to me to use a device with the lower power and noise possible.

I used to use for a couple of years a Buffalo Linkstation Pro, an arm6 266mhz and 128mb of ram NAS with debian, serving files (mainly movies) to my XBOX with xbmc and music using upnp, until I changed the Pro for a buffalo WZR-HP-G301NH, an wifi n router with 400mhz (arm) and 2 usb ports. Very good device (but some unstable) until I bricked it....

Now I'm still in love with the Joggler. I'm a linux fan, but I'm getting older so I really appreciate the fact that I can use windows (yes, XP) as my server. Still it has some issues, I believe Linux is stronger (and I'm bored with the "white screen issue") but having Mponny and utorrent with a minimal noise and power usage, it really nice to me.

I believe the only only thing I missed is a kind of "iPhoto Server", but that is only in a Mac machine. In any case my configuration is extremely iPad friendly using photo gallery script.

Greeting to all you from Chile!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

no more xbmc on xbox then? still useful on xbox even with decent htpc, in spare room/bedroom etc :)
guidows

Post by guidows »

BuZz wrote:no more xbmc on xbox then? still useful on xbox even with decent htpc, in spare room/bedroom etc :)
I really, really miss xbmc, but I chooses a HD device. I bought a briteview cinema tube, for cheap. It's not so easy and beauty than xbmc but it uses only 10 or 15w, it eats any movie and also is hacked with telnet access and works as a cheap NAS (but only NAS).

In any case I will use again my old xbox in my bedroom because is an excellent "emulators" machine.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just took delivery of this little beauty :D £8.95 delivered offof Amazon , usb mini keyboard , the Joggler even clips perfectly in to it ( well at an angle due to the stand ) i have been looking for something just like this for a while , unbelievable look / build for the price .Will be great for XP / Linux / multiboot tinkering )
Also sitting alongside is my trusty old ZTE San Francisco (Blade )
Gadget fever has took hold tonight :lol:
OOOps image needs reposted
Now how do i get my photo from my desktop w7 32 bit to my post ?its 890kb is that too big?
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Hawsey, I almost bought one of those from a market the other day for a fiver, but decided against it as I didn't like the way the keys felt lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I have an Acer Aspire One A110 and an A150 9" netbooks and both have faulty power connectors. Getting the power connectors off and replaced is probably beyond my clumsy hamfisted soldering skills, so I'm thinking I'll just get an external battery charger off eBay.

iPhone and an iPad. The iPad has an Alesis Studio Dock for when i'm feeling inspired to do music stuff. This weekend I'm definitely doing some recording.

Behind the TV in the bedroom is an Aspire Revo R3610.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The kids have my old Shuttle XPC from 2004. It was pretty high spec for the time, 2.8GHZ P4C OC'd to 3.something but back to stock now. I put in a silenX PSU, Zalman heatsinks and QuietPC sorbothane rubber feet so it ran very quiet which was good for recording.... until I put in a 10000RPM WD Raptor. TICK TICK WHIRRRRRR. It was my main machine up until late 2007 and then became my HTPC.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

always had a thing for shuttles, good looking machines, and those power connectors aint too bad, fiddly but not difficult
more to come!!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I got one of these

Wish I had the skills to make something as cool as this with it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4D79Jgn_4
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Also one of these

nice bit of hardware for the c64 - sd card storage, and drive emulation etc. mine also has ethernet (there is a newer edition of the device now that doesnt have ethernet but has some other things)

http://www.1541ultimate.net/
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

danfoshizzle wrote:always had a thing for shuttles, good looking machines, and those power connectors aint too bad, fiddly but not difficult
I was given an old Shuttle X and I haven't had much fun with it... it no longer recognises any HDD's! I think the BIOS clock/battery are to blame but I haven't had time to sort it out.
BuZz wrote:I got one of these

Wish I had the skills to make something as cool as this with it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4D79Jgn_4
I want one! :P
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Samsung HD Stream Player MP-80S
This is an interesting little gadget i have had for about 4 years , it never actually went on general sale ;
It was what Currys/Comet /Dixons etc used to show off the capabilities of their HD tvs , it has a 80 GB HDD and only seems to play .TS movie files ;
i am sure there is a Chineese/Japaneese firmware knocking about as the box it came in makes it looks like a retail unit that can play allsorts ; i did have a good play about with it at the time but gave up as it was a pain converting stuff to .TS for it to play ;
I only recently unlofted it with a view to using it as an external HDD for my Joggler.
Does anybody know how i would copy the system files that are on it (.sys) so that i could put them back on at a later date if i fancied ?
Its a great little unit , well fitted out with HDMI, optical out , component , svid , av out , anynet in and out ;
It also worked great with the remote for my Samsung tv , shame i couldn't locate the foreign firmware !!

Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

BuZz wrote:Also one of these

nice bit of hardware for the c64 - sd card storage, and drive emulation etc. mine also has ethernet (there is a newer edition of the device now that doesnt have ethernet but has some other things)

http://www.1541ultimate.net/
Good to see there are people keeping the C64 going. I'm trying to remember where the cartridge slot was, as I never used it - cartridges were pretty expensive in the day. But it reminds me of a friend at school who made an 8K RAM cartridge for the VIC20 as it cost £20 in parts, rather than about £30/£40 for a CBM one.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

A while a go EBuyer got rid of these for around £10 each, and I got a few :

Emprex NSD-100 P2P Download Device

http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=205

They have a circa 300MHz Arm processor in them and it is possible to run an oldish Debian on them - an Indonesian guy living/working in Thailand did a lot of work and a Polish guy may have got OpenWRT running on them. Sadly, there isn't that many people working on them now. But I think they would be great for low power, headless type applications.

What I had in mind for these, the Joggler has kind of taken over now.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

This device has a quite old and limited Linux kernel. uname -a gives :

Linux NSD000760 2.4.27-star #1852 Thu Jun 12 15:25:50 CST 2008 armv4l unknown

And there are not many modules in the kernel. lsmod gives :

Module Size Used by Not tainted
button_mod 3008 0 (unused)
x1205-rtc 6976 0

Could I just get a suitable file system and use this to insert additional modules into the Kernel and the extra commands I need ?

I'd like to use the device for streaming (MJPG) from a webcam or two

I've plugged a UVC webcam into it and dmesg indicates it has recognised it.

I can chroot into a full Debian Etch file system, but no joy with any commands that access hardware i.e. lsusb

Any ideas / comments anyone ?
Juggler wrote:A while a go EBuyer got rid of these for around £10 each, and I got a few :

Emprex NSD-100 P2P Download Device

http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=205

They have a circa 300MHz Arm processor in them and it is possible to run an oldish Debian on them - an Indonesian guy living/working in Thailand did a lot of work and a Polish guy may have got OpenWRT running on them. Sadly, there isn't that many people working on them now. But I think they would be great for low power, headless type applications.

What I had in mind for these, the Joggler has kind of taken over now.
pete

Post by pete »

Amazing two little laptops which I played with for a bit.
Attachments
Pic-1.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater