tale of stupidity

Non Joggler related discussion.
BuZz
Site Admin

tale of stupidity

Post by BuZz »

written a moment ago on irc by myself - what a plonker! :

christ. im such an idiot.. rested touchpad against a unstable object watching a video. saw it toppling, dived underneath, throwing drink all over myself and the touchpad, albeit saving the touchpad from a hard fall. could be called a good save if it wasnt for my own stupidity in the first place..

hardware seems fine.. well the touchpad.. i think i bruised myself. heh

doh

note to self.. although the loo roll in the kitchen seemed stable, it was a really dumb ass choice of rest for the device..
dwl99

Re: tale of stupidity

Post by dwl99 »

http://tinyurl.com/7u8hydw

Glad you saved the TP! Have you tried CM9 yet?
Last edited by dwl99 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

:)

Still not tried cm9. still waiting for something non alpha.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

tbh I'm quite happy with WebOS - the fact that the Touchpad doesn't have 3G & positioning makes many of the Android apps a bit redundant. Most of the stuff I do is just email, browsing & the odd video. Although the lack of many alternative browsers and media players can be a bit frustrating.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

yeh im also mostly happy with webos. have a ssh client and terminal app on it which I have found useful. and the usual skype, email, web etc.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

At least the touchpad is ok lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
yugo

Post by yugo »

Picked up a hp cover for £3 last week when hp had them on offer, no help to you now :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I did actually have mine in a cover. which can act as a stand, but not if the tp is vertical. probably helped break the fall a bit, although my body did most of the work!
yugo

Post by yugo »

Ah right. I dropped mine on tarmac once and it didn't do much damage, apart from a few scratches to the rear!
pete

Post by pete »

I left mine also a WebOS; but I am just coming late to the tablet OS thing; still trying to get used to the whole thing here.....good news that it didn't break there BuZz. I believe that Android & Apple need competition though; never enough; that and I opened up a help ticket a few months back and ended up speaking to a very pleasant (wanted to take her home type) customer service representative for well over 20 minutes one morning; and she told me to call her anytime (she gave me her personal number?). I am a sucker for this guide of stuff sometimes...did notice it updated itself yesterday with a new webos version (its probably been a while since I turned it on though).

My wife had to go on a business trip to India a couple of years ago; she was talking to her friend/coworker leaning on her laptop while waiting to get her bags checked out. The laptop was out of the case; it flew down the luggage ramp off the end of the ramp a few feet in the air. It was a Lenova; case did survive; but not the hard drive / her stuff. I ended up with the laptop / home use and all it needed was the hard drive.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
guidows

Post by guidows »

BuZz wrote:yeh im also mostly happy with webos. have a ssh client and terminal app on it which I have found useful. and the usual skype, email, web etc.
the problem with webs is that is soooo slow (for me) and the lack of a decent PDF reader.

CM7 is an Alpha, but works extremely well, really. I bough a couple of touch pads for my mother and my mother in law in order to communicate them by Skype with my little kids. My mother in law (65) loves webos (she had an iPad one, good machine but no camera) but my mother (53) preferred Android... well, she is obsessed with Plantz vs Zombies..... and all other games :D
Last edited by guidows on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I thought the adobe reader was quite ok ? used it to read a few old magazines
guidows

Post by guidows »

is slow, and the render is not so good when you compares it with a iPad or even with the many pdf android apps in the touchpad itself. Those are not so good as Goodreader in the iPad is, but are still faster and with better render than the one in the touchpad.

There are some scripts in order to make it more faster, but it did not work with me.

take a look at http://touchpadfans.blogspot.com/ for the pdf optimizer and also in webosbuzz's forums to see all the complains with the stock pdf viewer. for me was an issue.