So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Non Joggler related discussion.
roobarb!

So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Post by roobarb! »

Seems like a reasonable question to ask around here, considering the level of hackery!

If you've not heard of it, the Raspberry Pi is a small (credit card size) computing device with the aim of becoming a widely accepted educational programming platform, powerful enough to be genuinely useful, while cheap enough to not be a disaster when lost. Think of it as a BBC Micro for the 21st Century, except with prices of £16 (Model A) and £22 (Model B).

I'm hoping to get my hands on one when they launch (this month, it would seem) - although there are a considerable number of people with the same idea!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danfoshizzle

Re: So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Post by danfoshizzle »

Me! model b for me, what a fabulous little device, checking the blog daily waiting for launch, although I will probably skip the first batch and wait for the second
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i plan to get one.
frosty

Post by frosty »

It appears everyone will be limited to one at first, so I'm certainly hopeful :D
Luckily Model B is the first one, and that the one I'd like anyway.

I hope their server can cope with the demand on release day
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I wonder how many Model A units they're actually going to sell? I know they're not available from launch, but it would be interesting to know if they find it worthwhile manufacturing them - I can't imagine there'll be many people not wanting to network them, given the price tag.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yes, it does seem a little strange, even for the most simplest of uses, in this day and age networking is a must, but the model a units could probably be networked with an eth-usb
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

danfoshizzle wrote:Yes, it does seem a little strange, even for the most simplest of uses, in this day and age networking is a must, but the model a units could probably be networked with an eth-usb
Maybe they want an exact repeat of the BBC Micro. Barely ever see any 16KB Model A units around. ;)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

What are people planning to do with the pi? I know for certain one is getting built into my tv, but I can think of other stuff too
more to come!!

jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

I'm planning on getting one - definitely the Model B. Had my eye on one since the Alpha boards came out!
danfoshizzle wrote:What are people planning to do with the pi? I know for certain one is getting built into my tv, but I can think of other stuff too
Going to try and make a tablet, hopefully running Android :-P
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

there is a good discussion on there forum about compatible screens, apparently the iphone screen will work
more to come!!

jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

danfoshizzle wrote:there is a good discussion on there forum about compatible screens, apparently the iphone screen will work
It will? Awesome! Got to check that out then :-)
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

jazzmista wrote:
danfoshizzle wrote:there is a good discussion on there forum about compatible screens, apparently the iphone screen will work
It will? Awesome! Got to check that out then :-)
Hmm... if an iPhone/Pod screen works, what about an iPad one? Pretty expensive but it might just work!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

would need its own power source though
more to come!!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

1 for me please , nice little video of a pi booting in to , wait for it :-) XBMC on you tube , very excited to get my hands on one ....
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB
Happy Joggling
lamb.chop

Post by lamb.chop »

1 more here, not sure exactly what I am going to do with it though................
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Anyone get one then?

I see some enterprising individual is marketing Custom Cases for them already ;)

Check the Q&As :lol: :lol: :lol:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Love it he he he
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

It was the hot topic in the computing department at parents' night last night. My son was making course choices for his examinable subjects and yes, he is taking computing.

I plan to get a couple (when multiple purchases are allowed) and they will be used for my kids to tinker with. It will come with Scratch already installed and my son is already programming games at school using it (Scratch, not Raspberry Pi). All you really need is a mouse, keyboard, micro USB lead and USB power adapter. It will output graphics through component or HDMI to a television, so no expensive monitor necessary.

Computers like this are ideal to be used in all sorts of projects and could be used in environments where the risk of failure might prevent the use of more expensive computers (small scale rockets or aerial meteorological experiments perhaps). It could help school students change their views of computers. At present they are viewed as an all-encompassing tool to enable the user to do certain tasks; this will make them view and use computers as modular components to be built into other devices. I'm excited!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

My thoughts too Geggs :)

Just had a look at the website for the PI and they are taking pre orders , interest only and we will get priority in order when they are produced which is anytime very soon (April talked about).

Eeeeeeeee
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

gegs wrote: Computers like this are ideal to be used in all sorts of projects and could be used in environments where the risk of failure might prevent the use of more expensive computers (small scale rockets or aerial meteorological experiments perhaps). It could help school students change their views of computers. At present they are viewed as an all-encompassing tool to enable the user to do certain tasks; this will make them view and use computers as modular components to be built into other devices. I'm excited!
Something like this Gegs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfgOYsWn ... re=related
Happy Joggling