So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Non Joggler related discussion.
hawsey

Re: So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Post by hawsey »

No it must be this guy I am sure, lovely chap :-/ .
Army chief.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 865303.ece
Or maybee not
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Yikes! That's 3 scary looking Michael Jacksons!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did you manage to get yourself a working joggler - you're posting again so I assume you're up and running?
:-)
Nope I have one which will only boot off a usb stick and PNPIII will not work arghh
But I also have the promise of another when funds allow, so not so bad
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Hawsey,

I am guessing you tried to replace the flash chip on your ill joggler?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

or, really long shot, have you tried roobarb's updated openpeak image? It worked on mine when nothing else would.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I am sure I tried the updated image I<3MJ :-/
Pete I only have the dodgy Joggler so don't have another to swap chips with or is there another way to do it?
If I bought a chip and just stuck it in how would I get the efi image back on it?
Thanks
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

hawsey,

I can send you an stock flash chip with the original Joggler OS on it (or with Roobarbs newest). I was initially worried about the heat build up on the CPU; but its really not an issue when you do the hot swap.

I am currently worried about "fat fingering" my playing around with the OpenPeakII device because the original pictures that I saw showed a soldered on flash chip. That said though maybe mine is not; so I am going really slow.

My newly configured basement workbench is literally cluttered now with Joggler pieces mostly; losing track a bit. Yesterday built two more seabios/coreboot Jogglers (really its just the PATA port and USB internal thing). That said I am "building" another one in the next few days with the build in wall mount for the bathroom mounted on the wall Joggler.

I am currently playing with streaming live TV (funny cuz I don't really watch live TV) from an SD backfeed to MythTV. Streaming live 720/1080P is a bit jittery even though I can stream a movie just fine.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

pete_c wrote:hawsey,

I can send you an stock flash chip with the original Joggler OS on it (or with Roobarbs newest)
Pete that's very kind of you, thank you very much :-) are you sure?
Have you posted a thread on what you are doing here with the Pata port mod thing ?
I am interested v interested in reading a how too / tutorial, I'm sure I'm not alone.
Sounds like you are having great fun with this stuff.
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; PM me with your address.

I have now converted 5 Jogglers over to the core/seabios boot thing. 4 use the PATA port and 1 I trashed and uses the USB port to boot.

I have been in Joggler mode these days; passes the time and keeps me busy in my "old age" these days.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers Pete you are a star.
Pm on its way
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've ordered a Raspberry Pi to run XBMC in the kitchen. I can't wait!

People might be interested in running the Pi as a cheaper alternative to SheevaPlug for running a low powered Logitech Media Server. There is already a Raspberry Pi 'SqueezePlug' image ready for download. Maybe somebody could give it a spin and see if it plays well with the Joggler. I'll try it out myself at some point but the the XBMC installation is the priority at the moment (for WAF reasons).

http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?p=260
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Gegs, I can suggest Raspbmc and Openelec, both works great! And a little little tip: using HDMI you can drive the XBMC with the TV remote!!! (you can also install Yatse on smartphone and communicate with XBMC web remote administration)
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Raspbmc is running on my PI it work's good. One thing is not to overclock the PI to much it will just freeze done that a few time's on mine.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Leonardo wrote:Gegs, I can suggest Raspbmc and Openelec, both works great! And a little little tip: using HDMI you can drive the XBMC with the TV remote!!! (you can also install Yatse on smartphone and communicate with XBMC web remote administration)
Thanks for that. I didn't know about using the TV remote to control XBMC through HDMI, although I do have the official XBMC remote on my Android phone and my iPad which I use to control XBMC on my Apple TV2. Is Yatse better than the official remote?
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Hehe one of my cats discovered this feature sleeping on the TV remote :D
I tryied XBMC official but I prefer Yatse! Anyway I think it's a personal idea, it's for free so you can try it and have your own opinion!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Leonardo wrote:Hehe one of my cats discovered this feature sleeping on the TV remote :D
These kinds of 'hidden features' are usually revealed by one or other of my own buttocks. It took me ages to discover how to turn of 'audio description' the other week after sitting on my TV remote.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I installed XBMC on the Raspberry Pi and it works really well, though the user interface isn't as fast or responsive as on my Apple TV 2. Streams play brilliantly as I would expect because it is running wired ethernet.

I initially tried Raspbmc but it wouldn't run the TVCatchup addon. OpenELEC on the Pi does run TVCatchup with EPG although there is a significant delay between choosing the addon and when it launches; once the EPG loads it runs rather well.

Navi-X isn't performing well with the new Frodo releases but there is a Pi-specific version that can be downloaded from here: http://blog.mivia.dk/2012/07/raspberry- ... -openelec/ - I can confirm that it works although Navi-X can now be pretty slow on all devices; the devs have asked users to avoid heavy traffic periods, like weekends!!!

There is CEC support on OpenELEC and Raspbmc but so far I can't get any TV remote to work with the Pi (something that even Leonardo's cat can do). I'm not sure if there is any further set up required, such as keymapping - time to hit Google methinks!

Installing addons from zip is a breeze. Download them to a USB stick on your computer and insert this in the Raspberry Pi then choose the "install from zip" option and choose the USB stick as source. Very simple!

I can control OpenELEC XBMC from the XBMC Remote app on my iPad, although it took ages to connect and failed the first time. Yatse on my Android phone works really well but the official XBMC Remote Android app just won't connect.

All in all, a very good media centre device and very cheap, especially if you have all the additional things needed to run the software (SD card, ethernet cable, micro-USB lead, HDMI cable, USB keyboard). The keyboard was only necessary for the initial setup; once I'd chosen to control the device over http in Settings I could use the iPad or my phone instead. If you need to use a USB adapter to power the Pi make sure it runs at 700mA or above; lots of my USB adapters only run at 500mA. I power the Pi from the USB port on my NAS.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:There is CEC support on OpenELEC and Raspbmc but so far I can't get any TV remote to work with the Pi (something that even Leonardo's cat can do). I'm not sure if there is any further set up required, such as keymapping - time to hit Google methinks!
What TV do you have? I've got a Sony and have had no luck with the CEC stuff so far either, despite the Pi telling me that a CEC-compatible device has been connected. I've not found any documentation about it either, although to be fair, I've not looked terribly hard.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
Leonardo wrote:Roobarb, didn't try to play DVD with RPI, but... did you try with mplayer?
Does mplayer work with the hardware acceleration of the Pi? I thought for some reason that it didn't.. If it does, I'm back in the game! :)
Ahh, mplayer does work, but it has no support for the DVD menus. The omxplayer does, and until the feature was disabled by the author, it worked pretty well. I did get the occasional audio glitch, but nothing so bad as would stop me from using it.

Just had some fun getting mplayer to play some DVDs directly from the ISO files on the Joggler too. If you get on the command line on sqpOS or any of BuZz's distros and give this a shot:

Code: Select all

mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/somemovie.iso
Then assuming the main title is title 1 (it isn't always) you'll have a DVD playing back on the Joggler's screen. Always surprises me how good video looks on it.

I have found that skipping back and forward in the DVD doesn't work terribly well when using the hardware accelerated playback, though. Luckily, unlike the Pi, the Joggler has enough horsepower to decode a DVD's MPEG2 stream on the CPU, so if skipping around is necessary, you can just disable the hardware acceleration.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:
gegs wrote:There is CEC support on OpenELEC and Raspbmc but so far I can't get any TV remote to work with the Pi (something that even Leonardo's cat can do). I'm not sure if there is any further set up required, such as keymapping - time to hit Google methinks!
What TV do you have? I've got a Sony and have had no luck with the CEC stuff so far either, despite the Pi telling me that a CEC-compatible device has been connected. I've not found any documentation about it either, although to be fair, I've not looked terribly hard.
I think The CEC thing needs to be enabled on the TV's own settings as well. I'm not sure if the kitchen TV has this ability and I'm not at home to check the manual. I'll investigate this evening.