So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Re: So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Post by dwl99 »

Open the GUI for your Harmony.
Add device
Media Center PC - Chinavasion - type in CVSB-983 as model
And when it asks you if you have the remote, choose NO.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers, ordering one will save on my dodgy soldering :-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

You'll need to remap a few buttons if you're programming your Harmony. Have a look here for more details http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-re ... rmony-300i
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for all the info dwl99 on this remote Image
It arrived a couple of days ago and it is working great on my little set up.
I have not tried the Harmony with the reciever yet but to be honest the one supplied works a treat, it even had a little mouse thing on it :smile: and it might even be better for my folks.
It is a plasticity little thing but I like it.
Very responsive I must say on my current incarnation
PI booting from a micro sd 2 gb in a sd holder then booting from a usb in to Raspbmc.
Tried the old xbox remote with this reciever but no joy.
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Glad it's working! You'll need a USB MCE IR receiver for the Xbox remote to work. I managed to get my MCE remote working with it this way but there is no mouse function & the receivers are a bit pricey.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just after I I ordered the one you recommend I read these work great on the PI using the original Xbox ir reciever http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0347848301

Might still get one at some point but cheapest I can find for the cable is £4.50 , you can get two of your super cheap remotes for that :-) .
The original xbox remote was always a beautiful piece of kit tho, just feels right in the hand.
Cheers
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

If you don't mind a bodge you can strip the connector end off an old Xbox wired remote & connect it to a normal female USB adapter. It won't look pretty but it'll work!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Lol tried that but I need a finer soldering iron and a magnifying glass before I attempt that sort of thing again :-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Well, I don't believe it but after a few weeks of gathering dust in a corner my Pi now picks up remote control commands from my Panasonic TV remote. Now the only thing I need to do is find a DVB-T stick that picks up all the channels and doesn't stutter on playback.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nice one.
Its funny but I am sure I saw a CEC update thingy in the bottom right corner when I tried this set up last night, I would like to think my folks remote will now work this set up.
Then I could keep this little cheappo one ive grown quite fond of for a future bedroom PI :-)
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

dwl99 wrote:Well, I don't believe it but after a few weeks of gathering dust in a corner my Pi now picks up remote control commands from my Panasonic TV remote. Now the only thing I need to do is find a DVB-T stick that picks up all the channels and doesn't stutter on playback.
I use the RPi in my kitchen; it's at the back of the house where TV reception is terrible so a DVB-T stick wouldn't help. In fact that's the reason I bought the Pi - so I could watch IPTV without an aerial connection (iPlayer and TVCatchup). The only thing that's missing is regional variation; I get London bulletins on the local news because the streams default (understandably) to London content. Other than that, I have all the channels I need and then some.

I watch TV live streams mainly and don't miss DVB-T capability. Why do you need DVB-T? Is it to use XBMC's PVR capability to record programmes?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yep, that's it exactly. I was hoping to retire my Revo R3700 nettop.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I thought that might be it.

If you get this working well, it would be great to post details of your hardware and any tweaks / mods. I have a Freeview HD PVR but, if my last PVR is anything to go by, it won't last forever. It would be great to replace it with something so small and cheap, especially since I have a spare portable drive for recording.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I suspect that it might be a DVB-T chipset/driver problem. If the kernel gets updated that might fix it but in the meantime I might splash out on a Hauppauge stick - the ones I've tried so far all have a similar chipset but I think that the Hauppauge ones are different.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The Logitech remote I have decided is for my bedroom now and I thought it would be a bit fiddly for my folks anyway so after the suggestion ordered a usb to xbox cable with a view to using an xbox 1 remote on the Pi I got this

Item: Original Xbox One Controller Gamepad to PC USB Adapter Cable
URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view
it was £4.98 delivered and arrived boxed from the Uk the others on fleabay seem to come from China .

It was plug and play on the Pi and is long enought to nicely put the reciever on top of my parents Tv cabinet

I always thought the xbox remote was a lovely piece of kit even though the reciever looked nasty stuck on the front of the old xbox
It works like a dream so if you have one lying about I would recommend it for xbmc on the pi

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

I tried out Squeezeplug on a spare SD card last night and it is awesome. I've written about my initial experience on the Squeezeplay thread, link below:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 070#p17070
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

My Acer Aspire Revo R3700 was getting very slow with Win7 so after getting my new Humax PVR I wiped the Revo & put XBMCbuntu on it. Does anyone know off-hand if I can use an XBMC backup from the Revo & restore it to RaspBMC on the Pi?
castalla

Post by castalla »

In a word - no.

The Pi uses a specific arm distro. The Revo ubuntu will be an i386 distro, I guess.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

castalla wrote:In a word - no.

The Pi uses a specific arm distro. The Revo ubuntu will be an i386 distro, I guess.
I was under the impression that the backup included only add-ons & associated data. Oh well.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Just install one of the xbmc distros - I prefer raspbmc - faster and slicker than openelec or xbian.