So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Non Joggler related discussion.
miccheck1516

Re: So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Post by miccheck1516 »

I came in here to start a topic asking about the RPi, because i've felt the last few days this forum has been pretty slow, i guess this thread answers my questions!

I've been using raspbmc but the latsest RC hasn't been much use to me yet...
roobarb!

So, how many people are after a Raspberry Pi?

Post by roobarb! »

There's also been sunshine, y'know! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mtx512

Post by mtx512 »

Having spent some time developing on my Raspberry PI, I was on the look out for a slightly higher spec board. I finally managed to source a pcba which hopefully has the potential to form a good development board. More details here if your interested http://jas-hacks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07 ... board.html
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

Anyone doing anything interesting with their Pi?
Was thinking of getting one and trying out Incredible PBX. http://nerdvittles.com/?p=3026
pukington

Post by pukington »

I've had one since the first week of release, and unfortunately haven't had a chance to play with it, bar installing raspbmc and using it briefly as a media center. Really should dedicate some time to use it.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Got around to spending some time on mine -

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=23923

Here's a pic after I got sound working

gegs

Post by gegs »

BuZz wrote:Here's a pic after I got sound working
Sorry BuZz, sound still isn't working for me on this picture. :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

:lol:
gegs

Post by gegs »

Aural geekgasm! 8-)

(edited from the previous overtly sexual comment - my kids might read this stuff!)
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Yep i am getting one for christmas now i have to wait it's all wrapped up now :(
It's teasing me just sitting there :(
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

So, IF I decided to get one of these purely to watch xbmc on my internet enabled telly, what exactly would I need to get and what accompanying bits would it require? It's just an idea in it's infancy at the moment (cost and technical ability being determining factors) but it could be something that goes on my birthday wishlist! (just out of curiosity is it pi as in pee or pi as in pie?). Thanks.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Oh I see here too there are PI users, I have some pieces, I use them for embedded systems, since before RPI I used ALIX but it's really more expensive! Obviously I kept some PIs for me :D
After some test with Debian/XBMC/OpenELEC and other things, the next step is to connect the TRXrfx433 and get 433MHz signals of weather station, home automation, etcetera, infact one of the main job of my fresh O2 wil be the touch panel for home automation!
pete

Post by pete »

I'm looking to set one up as a mini box for XBMC on a small wall mounted LCD TV I have in the kitchen. I have not gotten around to it yet.

That said I do have an Arm 1.2 Ghz based seagate dockstar managing my sprinkler system.

I have played with getting a Mimo USB monitor hooked up to it a while back running Linux.

Here are some pics.

Also here are some pics using the Joggler and Dockstar as a home automation screen.

The application that I am using runs in Linux, Android, Wintel and Apple Ipads. The home automation "mothership" is talking to about 18 serial and 5 USB devices (X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Insteon - adding Zigbee to play with). Today you can utilize an xAP touchscreen widget and application written for the Joggler Base OS which I have running with PnPIII.

Attached also is some flash automation widgets which ran on the 800Mhz Chumby that would run just fine on the Joggler base OS with PnPIII.
Attachments
Dockstar 1.2Ghz
Dockstar 1.2Ghz
Sprinkler system
Sprinkler system
Arm 1.2Ghz DS - Mimo USB
Arm 1.2Ghz DS - Mimo USB
Joggler Touch
Joggler Touch
Joggler Nightstand
Joggler Nightstand
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Attached here are home automation flash widgets which would run on the Joggler O2 / PnPIII setup.
Attachments
Flash widget - 2
Flash widget - 2
fb11.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 9666 times
Flash widget - 1
Flash widget - 1
fb01.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 9666 times
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

All my respect Pete, congratulations!!!

At the moment I'm still doing some tests. I have a Oregon wmrs200 weather station (the weather without display, only USB, a friend of mine gave it to me for free, thanks a lot my friend!!!) but I'm still sucking to use it with linux, maybe with the RFXtrx433 I'll be able to read the sensors. For home automation I'm going to use Domoticz (take a look, it works great) on Raspberry PI . I'm still looking for cheap and compatible with rfxcom micromodules for lights and eventually other things. Maybe I'll get a OWL power analyzer too.
Everything will work via webserver so I'll be able to use with other devices too (O2, Android, whatever!).

Haha Pete I see you have a white Aspire One, it's the same I use temporary with Cumulus, a software for weather station compatible with mine, the Acer is the ONLY PC running Windows, I use it to program Logitech harmony too!
Maybe you can help me... I tryed a lot of weather software but (sincerely I wasted not a lot of time), noone let me to read info from the station, for me is enough to get data via shell I'll do php or whatever to use the data I need!
I'm not going to code something to read raw data from /dev/wmr200 if it already exists, but googling I wans't able to fine anything :(
pete

Post by pete »

I'm into weather a bit. The little white laptop is an Asus Eee PC. I use it when I travel as its very small and portable.

I have tested a piece of weather software written in Linux with the Davis Vantage View. I think it'll also work with your Oregon weather station. I have two Cumulus weather stations set up today. One is running using a Fine Offset and the other is using a Davis Vantage View.

Fine Offset

http://longboatkey.golffan.us/

Davis Vantage Vue

http://lockport.golffan.us/

Linux weather software version I have tested Seagate Dockstar running ArchLinux:
3.1.10-11-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Mon May 21 05:59:32 UTC 2012 armv5tel GNU/Linux
http://www.wviewweather.com/

This software will read your Oregon Weather station USB data.

You can install flash xAP on the standard Joggler O2 / PnPIII'd set up and talk xAP for your home automation stuff.
I have one PnPIII'd Joggler running with this just polling the weather variables via xAP.
- Pete

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Good I'm able to get data from the WMRS200 with wviev! Thanks a lot!
I don't need to put data in a DB, for me is enough to read the current data, write for example in a temp file and stop, no history is needed (at the moment), so I'm trying to understand if it's possibile to do this with wview.
Nice program xAP too!!! Thanks again!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

You two are stoking my interest in this home automation stuff again but I'm not quite sure where to start ,ideally I would like a joggler with the rf box attached but not sure which would be best , I have seen this
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/new-prod ... -home.html which looks cool but I have the feeling the rfxcom would be a better choice .
I would like to do weather and a few mains devices and it would be good to be able to control them via an android phone /web browser .
I also got a Pi that could be incorporated in a Home Automation set up :)
Happy Joggling
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Hello hawsey, I took a look to the Tellstik, but I think is very limited, not a lot of devices are supported and the price is not very cheap... only in HK you can buy it for a good price. I think Rfxcom device (usb one) is very better, considering the price too.
I think PI will be the core for my home automation, don't forget its ridicolous power consumption!