New motherboard not detecting graphics card

Non Joggler related discussion.
danfoshizzle

New motherboard not detecting graphics card

Post by danfoshizzle »

My new motherboard will not detect my graphics card, vga onboard works well but it was for use on my tv that has only a hdmi socket, graphics card is a hd3450 and it is plugged into the pci express port, even when its plugged in the motherboard will still only display through the vga onboard, windows does not show the card and as far as I can tell its not detected by bios either, The motherboard is this http://geeks.mshoppe...sp?id=135188884 , the card does get warm when its plugged in, graphics card is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-HD-345 ... 0542574551 , so is it the graphics card or pci express slot thats dead or am I missing something

Any help much appreciated
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Re: New motherboard not detecting graphics card

Post by pete »

Personally I've had issues with adding a PCiE graphics card to W7 PC's. Same thing as you see. Either I configure the OS from scratch using the internal card or the external card. I can never see both. The computer I am using to type this message is the same. It's an Asus 775 motherboard and it has both internal and a PCiE dual head card. I am using two HDMI monitors with it; but the OS (XP) doesn't see the internal card for whatever reason.

You can try leaving the card plugged in and resetting the BIOS (jumper / battery thing) and see if its recognized.

Reading a bit it seems like a two step process:

1 - configure the BIOS such that the internal video is "off"
2 - configure the system hardware properties such that the internal video is disabled.

Kind of a lot of hoops for using an external video card. Found the following process; I don't know if it will work.
Well when you install a external video card, and install their driver it will automatically work as the main video card. If it still wants to disable the on board video card then please follow the below steps -

1. Turn on the computer. Press the left "Ctrl" key. When the start-up menu appears, select "Safe Mode" and press "Enter." Once the computer enters safe mode, click the Windows "Start" button. Go to "Settings" and open "Control Panel."

2. Double-click the "System" icon. Choose the "Device Manager" tab. Press the "+" next to "Display Adapters" to view installed display adapters. Highlight the adapter listed and click "Remove" then "OK." Close all open windows and restart the computer.

3. Go to BIOS screen and reset all data to default.

4. Right-click the "My Computer" icon on the desktop. Select "Properties" from the menu. Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Expand "Display Adapters" and right-click the graphics card. Select "Update Driver" from the menu.

5. Choose "No," and hit "Next," then select "Install From a List." Select the option to show all hardware. Choose "Standard Display Types." Select "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)" and hit "Next." Don't restart the computer.

6. Click the Windows "Start" button. Go to "Settings" and open "Control Panel." Click "Add/Remove Programs." Remove any Intel chipset programs. Restart the computer. After it starts up, go into the "Display Adapters" section in "Device Manager."

7. Open the "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)." In the properties window, un-check the box "Exists in All Hardware Profiles." Click "OK" and shut down the computer. Open the computer case. Install the new video card according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I seem to remember that some mobos need a jumper changed to switch to a different graphics card. Anything in the manual? (although I have never been known to RTFM myself!)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Seems to be a compatibility problem, and not having another board to test in I have a mate giving me an old nvidia gpu, apparently asrock motherboards are known not to like ati/amd products much lol :shock:
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Ok so i never got an nvidia gpu, it was a different ati one, but it gives me hope as it definitely powers on, just cannot get output, will try again later today
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

I'm optimistic there Dan as historically I have had similiar issues.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Any news Dan?
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yeah forgot to update the thread, all is fine now, apart from the fact the hdmi port on the graphics card will not display :roll: , thinking that windows 7 might be a problem for the older graphics card.
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Good news Dan.

Unrelated; but I had an intermittent HDMI problem on the LCD in the family room. Occassionally the screen would just go blank. I would "jiggle" the cable and all would be well until the next time it happened. Had a close look at the cable and noticed one of many pins had been bent inwards such that it wouldn't make contact. Tried to use a small saftey pin to straighten it out with no luck; so just purchased another one. (DVI to HDMI cable).
- Pete

Auto mater