speed of your broadband?

Non Joggler related discussion.
roobarb!

Re: speed of your broadband?

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote:Anyone interested in tips ,advice on getting best adsl speed out of a line?
If you have an NTE5 socket (the 'modern' standard), get an NTE2000 faceplate. It filters ADSL from going anywhere except from out of its own ADSL port, which means on the one hand you can only attach your router to that one socket, but it removes all of the interference the rest of your household wiring may be introducing.

My broadband used to be appalling; an NTE2000 improved it massively (although my distance from the exchange is a bit of an issue) and a Draytek Vigor 2700VG router means that it stays up and working the whole time.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:
Turvey wrote:You're 90% there ;)

Just before you click 'Copy' click on the small 'Forum' button and then 'Copy' ;)

@Yugo, you do realise people would kill to get your kinda speeds? :o

Lol , fool ,cheers for that mate .
My Infinity box has been fitted at the bottom of the road awaiting power i am told !! 40 meg here we come ( hopefully ) will edit my post when / if i get it :D
Infinity ordered for next Wednesday woooo hoooooo :-)
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:If you have an NTE5 socket (the 'modern' standard), get an NTE2000 faceplate.
I bought one of these - http://amzn.to/zXX8z2. This allows the router to be plugged directly to the master socket, removing the need for a supplementary ADSL filter and improving broadband performance, at least in my experience. A very good price too.

It increased my average speed by about 30% (measured pre and post fitting of the faceplate). About a week later I even hit figures about 50% better than before (from about 8Mb/s to a best of nearly 12Mb/s). Nowadays it mostly hovers around 10-11Mb/s, which ain't too bad.

I had the Virgin Media guy on the phone last night (he interrupted a romantic Valentine's Day candle-lit dinner, which deeply displeased the missus) offering fibre-optic broadband for the price of my current ADSL package. I'm sorely tempted but I never sign up to anything on the phone.
Last edited by gegs on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acesabe

Post by acesabe »

Bit slower during the mornings when our network (Bristol Wireless) is busy, but our uplink is pretty respectable! B-) I have had bursts of 16Mb/s and our Debian repo syncs often top 10Mb/s during the night..

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:

Just before you click 'Copy' click on the small 'Forum' button and then 'Copy' ;)

My Infinity box has been fitted at the bottom of the road awaiting power i am told !! 40 meg here we come ( hopefully ) will edit my post when / if i get it :D

Infinity fitted :-)

Happy Joggling
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Woooosh!!! :)

Here's ours tonight...

:evil: :evil: :evil:
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Turvey wrote:Woooosh!!! :)

Here's ours tonight...

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Hahaha! Sorry to laugh, but that's worse than mine! :roll:

I only cope because I have this at work.

That's pretty average, really. You should see it when the students are away. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Holy shit! thats what you call broadband roobarb lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

or, that's what you call a leased line or evenbroaderband ;-)

I'll be switching to virgin 50mbit from currentl adsl2+ on Monday. 18 month contract so I hope the service is decent.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'll be switching to Virgin 30Mb/s on Saturday. I'll post results here.
When the fibre optic network is upgraded, Virgin will double the bandwith at no extra charge (so I'll eventually get 60Mb/s and BuZz will get 100Mb/s).

I'm already with Virgin for ADSL broadband and phone and I'm receiving the upgrade at no extra cost. The ADSL is supposed to be up to 10Mb/s but, as you will see from my speedtest.net results posted earlier, it frequently exceeds that. I have had as high as 13Mb/s (tested after my earlier post, which mentioned a high of 12) but it usually hovers between 10-11. I'm hoping the fibre-optic will be equally reliable.

I live in a terraced house and my present router is at the back of the house. Virgin wouldn't run a cable up the wall and over the roof to the back (some of my neighbours have this arrangement, but since last year Virgin engineers aren't allowed to work higher than 3 metres. GRRRR!!!). It's also too disruptive (and ugly) to run the cable through the house because there isn't any access to run it invisibly under the floor. I'll have to site the router in my living room and use my present ADSL router in bridge mode to connect to the internet. I'm just hoping that my NAS will be accessible to the network when attached to the bridge. I'll keep you posted on that too.
rapunzel

Post by rapunzel »

Hi,my speed test results
my download speed =1.09Kbps and upload speed =0.87kbps
and i check my speed from ip-details.com
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

I am only getting 4meg today! Shocking Sky! lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

gegs

Post by gegs »

Virgin engineers left about an hour ago. This is the current speed of my "up to 30Mb/s" broadband.

I'm quite chuffed!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

roobarb! wrote:
hawsey wrote:Anyone interested in tips ,advice on getting best adsl speed out of a line?
If you have an NTE5 socket (the 'modern' standard), get an NTE2000 faceplate. It filters ADSL from going anywhere except from out of its own ADSL port, which means on the one hand you can only attach your router to that one socket, but it removes all of the interference the rest of your household wiring may be introducing.

My broadband used to be appalling; an NTE2000 improved it massively (although my distance from the exchange is a bit of an issue) and a Draytek Vigor 2700VG router means that it stays up and working the whole time.
Great advice Roobarb :-)
The importance of getting the main socket nte5a / nt2000 attached as close as possible to the incoming feed is also important ;siting the router there if possible
and if not running a cat5 twisted pair cable from the nt2000 to where you want the router .
Also it is essential that you have no star wiring before the nte5a I.e extensions attached from the outside connection.
Also any multi strand alarm type cable (red/yellow/black/white) is a big no no for speed / error issues.
After doing the above you might have to wait up to 10 days to see improvement depending on your comms provider :-)
Hope this helps peeps
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

trying out my new virgin! Ping was less to another server, but it didn't seem to max me out.

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nice one BuZz think yours might well be the fastest on here now ..
My speed was 80meg to the main cabinet according to the engineer but 400 metres of aluminium cable from there to the house fettled that to 34 Meg ho hum lol
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Monday test is not so bad today, not sure why it bothers me that much though lol
more to come!!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:
hawsey wrote:

Infinity fitted :-)

Ping test results , the lower the better i believe , mine vary widely but are usually at about 85ms , but were much better when i did this test

Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

just did a ping test also a new speed test

more to come!!

gegs

Post by gegs »

Does anybody know if speedtest.net is the most reliable measuring tool. Below is one of my best sets of stats so far but I get wildly variable results for ping between this and pingtest.net at times.