speed of your broadband?

Non Joggler related discussion.
pete

Re: speed of your broadband?

Post by pete »

Wow very nice there Buzz!

Here's Comcast is rebranding itself with a new name Xfinity(?). Better speeds than before.

About double the price now these days. It used to be $35 USD per month and now its about $70 USD per month.

- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

BuZz wrote:Downstream/Upstream got increased in Jan so time to post a new test.

speed is mostly good
Download speed is mostly WOW! BuZz, your post made me lol. I have one like you at home. By that I mean someone who seems just a teeny bit hard to impress ;) .

My broadband supplier is being sold to Sky. I'm not happy about this - I have an inexplicable aversion to sky. Time to shop around.
pete

Post by pete »

Interesting. I cannot see any of the speed net pictures anymore. Its just a picture with nothing in it.

I tried just now to do another speed test and when I save the results I do not see the picture. Here I just did a snapshot of the screens.

I then went to toast dot net and checked speeds. Depending on location and ISP I saw from 5 to 16 Mb downloading speeds (midwest, east coast and west coast US). I didn't really check on the international stuff though.
Attachments
pic-2.jpg
pic-2.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 19717 times
pic-1.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

The speed dot net test pictures came back. Odd that they were not there earlier today.

What the heck; might as well travel the world virtually....

Did a test between here in the midwest and the UK ....interesting results.

A bit better to London.

Another to Melbourne.

Another to China

Another to Mexico

Geez I am having fun with this (bored today).
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, how can a man with so many projects on the go possibly be bored? :D

I hardly ever do speed tests as the results are too disappointing but as I currently pay peanuts for unlimited downloads, i can't complain about speed. I said in my earlier post my broadband provider will be taken over soon. So in preparation I did a bit of research this evening and was surprised at how few providers there are.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Virgin speed doubling was supposed to happen in my area at the end of this month, so I was surprised to see that it said it had already happened when I checked my account today (I was still on the old speed yesterday). I confirmed it with speedtest.net and got a pleasant surprise. My "up to 30 meg" package is now:

baristaa

Post by baristaa »

Upgrade to sky 20mb broadband? i was wondering if upgrading from 8mb to 20mb sky broadband will make a big diffrence to the speed of the internet. the company is called sky its in the uk the broadband is on the phone line its regular broadband its not a sky broadband.
Last edited by baristaa on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Depends on the quality of your line/ distance from the exchange in laymans terms , what speed do you get on up to 8mb ?
Happy Joggling
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

jimeney

Post by jimeney »

BuZz wrote:Downstream/Upstream got increased in Jan so time to post a new test.

speed is mostly good, however my line has a low SNR, so I am getting some problems like occassional disconnections etc. I would still swap this for 80/20 (like you can have on bt infinity). need more upstream speed!
What router have you got there? I have a superhub, which has 100mb ethernet - I'm not taking the jump to 120mb virgin because I know that the superhub isn't capable of handling that last 20mbit
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have a superhub 1, which has gigabit ethernet - if yours is the same, then it would be gigabit also. I have it in modem mode connected to a http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/deta ... TL-WDR4300 which is running https://openwrt.org/ as the superhub itself is a bit pants. openwrt is awesome.

I would rather more upstream instead of higher download speeds though. I'm somewhat tempted to switch to bt infinity for the increased upstream. I've also had many problems last year with my connection, which is finally fixed, but I am intending to write to the complains department as it sucks I have been paying £60 a month for a service that had so much downtime (I had 6 or 7 engineer visits last year!)
castalla

Post by castalla »

We've got 6 mb Orange - few problems running about 5 streaming devices at any one time ....
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

BuZz wrote:I have a superhub 1, which has gigabit ethernet - if yours is the same, then it would be gigabit also. I have it in modem mode connected to a http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/deta ... TL-WDR4300 which is running https://openwrt.org/ as the superhub itself is a bit pants. openwrt is awesome.

I would rather more upstream instead of higher download speeds though. I'm somewhat tempted to switch to bt infinity for the increased upstream. I've also had many problems last year with my connection, which is finally fixed, but I am intending to write to the complains department as it sucks I have been paying £60 a month for a service that had so much downtime (I had 6 or 7 engineer visits last year!)
I have a superhub 1 too I believe, I didn't realise it was Gigabit (either that or something in the mix is not allowing it to reach gigabit speed). I'm using a Cisco e4200 running DD-WRT as the main router, again like you, in modem mode. Perhaps it's time for me to take the jump then, I can live with 10mbit up, although when we get our speed bump to 152mbit, I wonder if that will mean better upstream too?!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

After 16 months of thinking my ADSL2+ upload was uncapped syncing at 888Kbps, after setting up my parents' new ADSL2+ connection I realised it wasn't! All it took was a quick message to Plusnet (apparently from this week their default upload setting is uncapped) and I'm properly uncapped!

It ain't fibre (one day it'll reach this part of the country) but it will get those little PnP III updates to the masses a few seconds quicker!

"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Not bad, but roughly half what I am used to Image
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

I am starting to notice that while my broadband pipes are OK in size; the internet itself appears to be oversubscribed (and controlled) and performance is starting to get worst than just a couple of years ago.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Not seen this before so I thought I would give it a go.
Not bad at all.
Attachments
3388696206.png
3388696206.png (31.21 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Here are some tests playing around.

House to Chicago

House to Madestone, UK

House to Southport, UK

House to Cheynne, WY

Curious what you guys see to Chicago from the UK?
- Pete

Auto mater
holys

Post by holys »

My Internet speed test results are,
Download Speed: 18.89 Mbps
Upload Speed:0.795 Mbps.
I perform this test from ScanMySpeed.com
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Having had persistent drops in internet to no internet at all this is what we get once it's back. Speed should be c.6 meg. This is AFTER an engineer came to change an external cable. Shite.