Read / Write , USB /SSD ?

Non Joggler related discussion.
hawsey

Read / Write , USB /SSD ?

Post by hawsey »

Guys what is the most important feature for a USB stick on the Joggler ?
I suspect it is read speeds but I am not sure ; I know the Kingspec SSD ones you are using are good , would an external ssd USB drive be as good or not ?
I know some of this has been explained before but I'm still a bit unsure what to go for .

A standard 750 gig hdd I tried was OK but not super fast .
Any ideas

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Re: Read / Write , USB /SSD ?

Post by pete »

Just a quote I found...

Typical hi-speed USB hard drives can be written to at rates around 25–30 MB/s, and read from at rates of 30–42 MB/s

Here are reads from SSD and MMC and USB (regular) and USB (Kingspec SSD USB)

SSD

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 980 MB in 2.00 seconds = 489.94 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 84 MB in 3.07 seconds = 27.36 MB/sec

MMC

/dev/mmcblk0:
Timing cached reads: 970 MB in 2.00 seconds = 484.78 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 48 MB in 3.08 seconds = 15.58 MB/sec

USB (cheapo)

/dev/uba:
Timing cached reads: 942 MB in 2.00 seconds = 470.51 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 60 MB in 3.05 seconds = 19.64 MB/sec

USB (kingspec)

Here are writes from SSD and MMC and USB
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers Pete .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

The thing with an external old fashioned SATA USB drive is the power draw such that you will need to power it separately and make sure that the power doesn't leak to the Joggler itself. Much lower powered would be an mSATA or m2Sata USB drive. Thing is I haven't seen really big Tb drives in these device for cheap. They are expensive. Personally here have shrunken down the OS drives for all of my computers for making them sort of portable and easy to image. (both Wintel and Linux) and do all of my media (music or video) storage on a LAN based NAS box with is Gb connected. I do not really have Tb's of music today and do have Tb's of movies though.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I was thinking maybe a 60 gig SSD might work well with a SSD USB external enclosure , what do you think ? Or do you think the Kinkspek is as good as it gets on USB 2 ?

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This cable might work well ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B011M8Y ... ref=plSrch

With one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A1ZT ... =240gb+ssd

Has anyone tried an SSD with USB 2 ?

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; I used these in tiny cases with a micro USB connector as a portable back up drive. The ones I have purchased come with little cloth case and cable. Thinking I paid some $10 USD or less for these.
portabledrive.jpeg
portabledrive.jpeg (5.64 KiB) Viewed 17039 times
The case is same size almost as the SSD drive. Works fine for everything I have tried. Joggler or big pcs.

It is only USB 2.0. I have 3 computers today that have USB 3.0 and initially I had some drivers issues with the Linux/Ubuntu and Windows 7 stuff.

Where I see it sort of slow is transferring a movie that is 14-20 Gb in size. Its faster than it used to be but still takes a few minutes.

Today also record the morning news every day and put it on a Kingspec USB stick. With MythTV it is recording as an MPG2 file such that it is large.

It is a 30 minute recording and it is sized at around 7 Gb or so and takes about 5 minutes to tranfer from the MythTV box ==> Gb to my home office desktop with the Kingspec USB stick plugged into a USB hub.

I drive my wife to the grocery store and usually wait in the parking lot such that I play the news on the carpc while waiting sometimes.
- Pete

Auto mater