Bt Home Hub 5 ( possibly others ) as cheap NAS

Non Joggler related discussion.
hawsey

Bt Home Hub 5 ( possibly others ) as cheap NAS

Post by hawsey »

Tucked away on the back of the Home Hub 5 is a USB socket , years ago i worked out it can be used to charge mobile phones although not powerful enough for iphones last time I tried .
Just recently I read about utilising it as a sort of NAS on the home network so I gave it a try .
I used a 750Gb external HDD (unpowered) , wiped it clean , then loaded it up with my photograph and music collections , 650 gig worth and plugged it in.
On my Android phone I used ES File Explorer to make a folder each and put it on my home screen , using the I.p address 192.168.1.254/USB2/photographs .

I also did this on my W10 tablet and created desktop shortcuts .

I tried in another location setting up a LMS on an Acer Revo 3610 and added a couple of music folders to it from the HH5 HDD Nas thing and a Joggler running SqPos picked the folders up also .
I am pretty pleased with the responsiveness of the folders and although there is a small delay , its not enough to be annoying ( for me anyway )

Any more findings , I will post here .
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Re: Bt Home Hub 5 ( possibly others ) as cheap NAS

Post by dwl99 »

Interesting! On a similar note I've just set up a Raspberry Pi 2 as a media server & NAS. It's much faster than the WD MyBook Live it's replacing and the 2.5" external HDD attached to it powers up nicely from the USB bus.
SD card image for media server here http://www.htpcguides.com/raspberry-pi- ... ler-image/ and how to install OpenMediaVault NAS here http://www.htpcguides.com/install-openm ... -minibian/
The media server can run Logitech Media Server and Kodi!
hawsey

Re: Bt Home Hub 5 ( possibly others ) as cheap NAS

Post by hawsey »

Cheers for that info , I might well set something like that up at some point , however I do like the idea that the HH5 is on all the time anyway and the external HDD just plugs in : I have no idea about power consumption etc , but it cant be much , I have a feeling it just spins when you open up a folder to look at it , but no way of telling .
You can read and write to it as well , not sure if that's a good thing :-) plenty back ups of my data I think ..
Happy Joggling