I would like to apologise

Non Joggler related discussion.
Daniel

I would like to apologise

Post by Daniel »

Hi All,

You may know me as Daniel, Daniel Case or indeed Monotoko. I was one of the original owners of the Joggler when O2 were advertising it and owned the .info domain that was sold on. I'm hoping that you will accept this apology because what I did to this community and indeed the wider Ubuntu community a few years ago was nothing short of money grabbing, I look back today and see it was pretty much all for nothing. I'm not going to make excuses because there were none but I will explain why. I was working for your typical "internet marketer" at the time, all I was interested in was making more money because my boss paid me peanuts. I was 17 and at college and what college kid doesn't want more money? I thought I would build a business out of it, not have to work, live the high life like my boss (flipping sites, along with many of my other failed ventures into that world - I lost more than I gained)

I'd like to think I'm a lot more mature now, I've been in the "real world" holding down a few sysadmin jobs for a few years, and look back and see myself as an idiot - yet occasionally I will think of you guys. It's not the lost money that keeps me awake, it's the communities I destroyed. The money is just an expensive lesson and it's one that some people never learn.

You guys got caught in the cross fire of my short-sightedness - and for that I am sorry. Thank you to all the people who saved the great thing that we created that I didn't see. There is so much more to life than money.
gegs

Re: I would like to apologise

Post by gegs »

Hi Daniel, stick around and offer some insights. Do you still use the Joggler? I couldn't do without mine.

I have a networked music system running Squeezeplay OS and I've just set up Android Kit Kat on another. Android video apps don't work well because there isn't a suitable driver but, and it is a big but, I can stream content to my kitchen TV using a Chromecast. My Joggler is a pretty good tablet controller for Chromecast enabled apps like iPlayer and I use the 'Squeeze Control' app to control music on my other Jogglers (it's more responsive and versatile than Squeezeplay's own interface.) I'm also going to set up an Android-based sound system in my son's bedroom using another Joggler. He just needs to tidy his room first ;)

A lot has happened since you've been away. Jump in!
pete

Post by pete »

Nice to meet you Daniel!

Here across the pond not really that much aware of the original goings on relating to what you mention.

That said it is nice to see you here.

The O2 Joggler was made and sold way before it's time and you did have something to do with this stuff.

As gegs mentions above; stick around and welcome to the JogglerWiki forum!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

gegs wrote:Hi Daniel, stick around and offer some insights. Do you still use the Joggler? I couldn't do without mine.

I have a networked music system running Squeezeplay OS and I've just set up Android Kit Kat on another. Android video apps don't work well because there isn't a suitable driver but, and it is a big but, I can stream content to my kitchen TV using a Chromecast. My Joggler is a pretty good tablet controller for Chromecast enabled apps like iPlayer and I use the 'Squeeze Control' app to control music on my other Jogglers (it's more responsive and versatile than Squeezeplay's own interface.) I'm also going to set up an Android-based sound system in my son's bedroom using another Joggler. He just needs to tidy his room first ;)

A lot has happened since you've been away. Jump in!
How did you get Kitkat to survive a reboot? I could never manage this! Do you have root working too?
gegs

Post by gegs »

dwl99 wrote:
gegs wrote:How did you get Kitkat to survive a reboot? I could never manage this! Do you have root working too?
I've not tried anything that requires root privileges so I'm not sure if it's rooted or not, I just installed the Kitkat image linked to from this forum.

Strange that you should mention the reboot problem. I've installed Kitkat on 3 different (but identical) Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8gb sticks and a couple of others, using Gparted to utilize the full space. I then set up Android on each with my Google account. Only one of the sticks survives a reboot (several times so it's not a fluke) and I don't know why. Any other stick I've used, including the other two identical ones, get stuck on the Android splash screen. I only discovered this because I was trying to set up a stick on one machine to use in another; they worked great during setup but failed when booting in the other machine.

I don't know if anything is corrupting the boot partition on shutdown or if there's a way to fix this, but it's probably best to continue the topic on the Android thread.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Daniel wrote:There is so much more to life than money.
Thank goodness that's true. :D

Anyway, welcome!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I must admit it was a massive pita when the domain was sold to a squatter.

I had to spend a considerable amount of time to set up the new wiki from dumps etc - luckily I had help from others, including a brand new domain which is still paid for by one of our friendly users. It also took some time for the .info "fake wiki" to stop showing up as the first match in google, primarily due to the number of sites which linked to it I guess.

I do appreciate you coming here to apologise though. Thanks for that. Enjoy the forum :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've only just noticed the .info site now 500s out. Gone! Gone, I tell you! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)