Non Joggler related discussion.
hawsey

Kano

Post by hawsey »

Happy Joggling
dwl99

Re: Kano

Post by dwl99 »

Looks like it has the old Raspberry Pi Model B inside http://www.kano.me/kit - I'm sure a man of your ability could put together a Pi 2 (£30 at PC world at the mo), a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad and a pretty case for a lot less than £120!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Lol I was just wondering that , I wouldn't want the old model of the PI if I was buying but I just love the look of it and the potential for non techie people to get in to this sort of thing with it , it's got a nice ZX Spectrum kind of look about the whole package .
I've had the Pi right since the first one and done various things with them ( sold on eBay now ) and was going to buy another soon but then I saw this , but you are right , no way I would purchase if it's got the old model in it :-( .
Wonder if you can get the keyboard and other stuff off them desperate? Just like the whole concept of it .
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I did have a look on ebay for the keyboard but no dice. I suspect I would tire of its funky looks though :-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm yeah I know what you mean there are probably better keyboards out there , I might give the kano os a look when I get my PI 2 tho , would love to get the little fella interested ...
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Here have been playing with an RPi 2 which upgraded an RPi 1. Its very fast. An example is that sometimes I wait until there are some 100 updates to the Wheezy OS.

On the original RPi this would take hours. On the new RPi2 it takes only minutes.

I have a couple of the Logitech K400 wireless keyboards around here and they work fine. I still do not like the touchpad; but I never liked any touch pads. The keyboards are well built and I have had no issues with it. It is a full sized keyboard and smaller than what the picture below makes it look like.

- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sounds great Pete , I'm looking forward to trying one out , what have you tried on it ?
Have you tried Berryboot yet ? It lets you load up loads of os and select them on boot :-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Just upped the microSD card to 32 Gb. Don't really need 32Gb and dropping back down now to 16Gb.

I am playing with 3 automation programs on it.

1 - Homeseer
2 - RaZberry Z_way
3 - HomeGenie

I have not tried Berryboot. I do not though have the RPi1/2 plugged into a monitor.

Just looked at it. Very nice. I will need to give it a try.

I have added a Z-Wave + GPIO card to the RPi2 and using the PiFace RTC clock on the RPI and RPI2.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The Pi 2 is a super upgrade from the first generation one. I've got one running ZoneMinder with motion detection for my home cameras and though it is busy doing two cameras at 5fps, there's capacity for it to handle one or two more in the future. You wouldn't really want to try that with a Pi 1.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Looks like the Kano has Pi 2 now :-)
http://www.kano.me/kit
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I got a Pi2 at the weekend, now all I need is some time to play with it!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I don't know if it's still current or not but berryboot allows you to install several OS on say an external HDD via a SD card on the Pi , it was great fun when I tried it :-)
Ahh time , I know what you mean .
Happy Joggling