Just saying hello

Non Joggler related discussion.
Steve B

Just saying hello

Post by Steve B »

Since I am a member of several other forums the usual etiquette is to say hello. I had a quick look around for the most suitble place to post this and here we are :)

Having been on the site most of the day reading around the different threads and topics I have decided to jump in and attempt to get a Joggler set up as a media streamer from a NAS to my hifi.

As a complete noob to all things Joggler, linux, ssh etc I can see it will be an adventure but I have to say the way the members here have treated the other beginners here like me was a big push to give it a go! Hopefully you'll be patient me when I ask the inevitable dumb questions!

I've checked the marketplace for a Joggler and will place an order for a Behringer UCA202. Once everything is here I'll be back to pester you!

Cheers
Steve
offbeatdave

Re: Just saying hello

Post by offbeatdave »

Welcome aboard! Hope you've got a good amount of free space in you brain for all the stuff you'll learn along the way!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Hi Steve B, welcome aboard.

Your Joggler purchase will be one of the best (and cheapest) tech purchases you will ever make. I have three operational ones and four others for tinkering or replacements should any of my Jogglers die (which hasn't happened yet and they have been on 24/7 for over 4 years.)

You will find that some of the tools you are unfamiliar with are actually fairly easy to use. I'd never used SSH before getting my Joggler and the knowledge I've gained here has helped me set up other things, like Raspberry Pi servers.

Don't be afraid to ask a question again or rephrase it if you don't understand an answer. People here want to help and we don't flame newbies. You won't get snooty requests to RTFM (read the f***ing manual) because we are the f***ing manual. If you successfully use the Joggler in a novel way, detail your experience on the forum and how you did it. People will be very appreciative.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Thanks for the warm welcome gents. I did notice that the members here were very patient and helpful with beginners and that is what made me decide to have a go at making a music streamer from one. I have seen from the many creative people here that the Joggler is capable of much more but I will be taking baby steps at first. If the media streaming idea works I have no doubt that I'll be trying other stuff too.

I'm just waiting for my Joggler to arrive now and then I can begin. I am looking forward to this adventure!
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome to the O2 Joggler Forum Steve.

The O2 Joggler / Openpeak devices were made way ahead of their time. That said there were efforts mostly in the ARM based CPU world versus the Intel CPU world at the time.

Fast forward to today and what you can do with the O2 Joggler. Baby steps will multipurpose the O2 Joggler. Here do that media playback thing from NAS / Internet and use the Jogglers as automation consoles to the mothership (and incorporate the use of POE for an easy plug 'n play of these devices) and Wireless transport. There are more uses and these are just a few.

1 - you can start by playing a bit with mods to the original OS
2 - Squeezebox Player OS
3 - XBMC OS Player
4 - Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit with #2, #3 and here also utilize Skype.
5 - Windows XP embedded utilized in my automation consoles (well too mix that in with Linux/Android automation consoles)
6 - Android

I have one Squeezebox player which is remote controlled by the mothership and is connected to the home zoned video (1-channel).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater