Amazon Fire TV £49/£79

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Amazon Fire TV £49/£79

Post by dwl99 »

Mighty tempted to get this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KQEJBSW/ - an Android TV box for £49 if you have Amazon Prime. It has 2GB RAM & a quad core processor. Looks like it's easy to root, sideload apk files & install Google Play. XBMC is supposed to run very smoothly on it even with the more graphics-intensive skins. The remote connects via bluetooth so I bet you could get a bluetooth keyboard & mouse working on it too. Looks like it would be good for gaming too although the games adapter looks a bit pricey. I believe you can register for a free trial of Prime then cancel it after a month.

Can someone please talk me out of buying one? I already have a Raspberry Pi, a Now TV box, 2 Chromecasts, 2 Miracasts and have run out of HDMI slots on my TVs!
pete

Re: Amazon Fire TV £49/£79

Post by pete »

Very nice. I am surprised that it doesn't have a Gb port.

Personally I would just replace the OS and either go with a cooked Android custom build or migrate the OS over to Linux.

I would also try to fit it with a small Tb drive for portability.

Years ago my favorite small footprint NMT was the Patriot memory PBO box. It is still today the smallest NMT with a Tb drive that I have seen to date.

I modded the OS doing a chroot on it. The base chipset though was still too slow. That said it works fine still today with paid subs like AOD and Netflix.

Today I keep all my TV sub services (netflix, AOD et al) on one box which allows any box on the network to get to it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm sure it's only a matter of time until there's a Cyanogenmod or similar ROM for it!
pete

Post by pete »

Did some looking this morning and yes you can root it and convert it to Linux then install newest XBMC on it.

http://liliputing.com/2014/06/fedora-li ... video.html

Amazing tiny device.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Looks great :-) tempted,
Dave you don't need this.... I am in the same boat as you pi now tv ( still have the revo 3610)
The crazy thing is I don't watch much tv , I just love gadgets.
Still maybe thinking of one of those HP microservers.....
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Here mostly just watch movies when I can. That said a couple of days ago recorded the history channel movie series (2 parter) called Houdini (2014) on the History Channel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3132738/

I started to watch it last night. It is entertaining.
- Pete

Auto mater