Any Plant people out there?

Non Joggler related discussion.
pete

Any Plant people out there?

Post by pete »

I have a lime tree that I grew from a seed. It is 30 years old. It was doing really good until the fall last year.

It dropped most of its leaves and stayed dormant until just a few weeks ago where I am starting to see new leaves now.

It has grown much to being over 5-6 feet. Only thing is that there are no new leaves growing on the old branches and the branches appear to be dead.

Its is in a huge pot and weighs more than 200 lbs today such that its a PITA to move.

I was thinking of repotting it to bring it back. Any suggestions? I will post pictures.

A quickie wiki clip and paste.
Lime (fruit)

Lime (from Arabic and French lim) is a term referring to a citrus fruit which is typically round, green, 3–6 cm in diameter, and containing sour (acidic) pulp. There are several species of citrus trees whose fruits are called limes, including the Key lime, Persian lime, kaffir lime, and desert lime. Limes are a good source of vitamin C, and are often used to accent the flavours of foods and beverages. They are grown year-round and are usually smaller and less sour than lemons.

History

Limes were first grown on a large scale in southern Iraq and Persia, and the fruit was first grown commercially in what is today southern Iraq (Babylonia).

Uses

Lime (Citrus latifolia) cold-pressed essential oil

To prevent scurvy during the 19th century, British sailors were issued a daily allowance of citrus, such as lemon, and later switched to lime, which was not as effective at preventing scurvy but was easier to obtain in Britain's Caribbean colonies. It was later discovered that the greater effectiveness of lemons derived from the four-fold higher quantities of vitamin C contained in lemon juice compared to the West Indian limes used by the British. This was initially a closely guarded military secret, as scurvy was a common enemy of various nations' navies, and the ability to remain at sea for lengthy periods without contracting scurvy was a huge benefit for the military. The British sailor thus acquired the nickname of being a "Limey" because of their usage of limes.

Lime juice may be squeezed from fresh limes, or purchased in bottles in both unsweetened and sweetened varieties. Lime juice is used to make limeade, and as an ingredient (typically as sour mix) in many cocktails.

Lime extracts and lime essential oils are frequently used in perfumes, cleaning products, and aromatherapy.

In India, the lime is used in Tantra for removing evil spirits. It is also combined with Indian chillies to make a protective charm to repel the evil eye. Furthermore, it was believed that hanging limes over sick people cured them of the illness by repelling evil spirits lurking inside the body.

Cooking

In cooking, lime is valued both for the acidity of its juice and the floral aroma of its zest. It is a common ingredient in authentic Mexican, Vietnamese and Thai dishes. It is also used for its pickling properties in ceviche. Some guacamole recipes call for lime juice.

The use of dried limes (called black lime or loomi) as a flavouring is typical of Persian cuisine and Iraqi cuisine, as well as in Gulf-style baharat (a spice mixture that is also called kabsa or kebsa).

Lime is an essential ingredient of any cuisine from India, and many varieties of pickles are made, e.g. sweetened lime pickle, salted pickle, and lime chutney.

Lime leaves are also used as a herb in South, East, and Southeast Asia. Lime is frequently used to add flavour to cold and hot drinks, including water, tonic and other cocktails.

Key lime gives the character flavouring to the American dessert known as Key lime pie. In Australia, desert lime is used for making marmalade.

Cocktails

Lime is an essential ingredient in several highball cocktails, often based on gin, such as gin and tonic, the gimlet and the Rickey. Freshly squeezed lime juice is also considered a key ingredient in margaritas, although sometimes lemon juice is substituted.

Health effects

When human skin is exposed to ultraviolet light after lime juice contact, a reaction known as phytophotodermatitis can occur, which can cause darkening of the skin, swelling or blistering. Bartenders handling limes and other citrus fruits when preparing cocktails may develop phytophotodermatitis due to the high concentration of furocoumarins in limes. The main furanocoumarin in limes is lemittin[6]

As compared to lemons, limes contain less vitamin C and carbohydrates per 100 grams.

Production trends

India, with about 16% of the world's overall lemon and lime output, tops the production list, followed by Mexico (~14.5%), Argentina (~10%), Brazil (~8%), and Spain (~7%).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_%28fruit%29
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Re: Any Plant people out there?

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Has the tree been in the same pot for many years? It may well need repotting if that's the case but I generally don't repot unless I want a plant to actually get bigger (if it's pot bound). I scoop out as much of top layer of compost as possible (recommendation is usually 2 inches) without disturbing the roots and add fresh compost. Feed it regularly (about once a week) with whatever plant food limes like.

You can prune the dead branches but be sure they are dead first. Scratch a tiny bit of the bark with your fingernail to see if its alive underneath. Best to also wait until new growth/leaves are established so you can see which branches are definitely dead.

However if it's been alive for 30 years you probably know these tips already and know all about how to care for it!

I should add i've never had a lime tree myself just lots of massive and varied shrubs in containers - this is quite general information but a quick google tells me its relevant for limes too.

Good luck - hope it pulls through.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you ilovemyjoggler.

It did actually start life in a little pot and over the years I have repotted it to bigger and bigger pots. Current pot is some 4 years old now and the largest to date. Each time I upgraded the pot is was pot bound.

This is the first time though the main larger trunks appear to have died. They are now some 1-2+ inches round. I only see one that is green with branches on it and new branches coming from the bottom of the trunk.

Wife and I have had an ongoing discussion relating to either feeding it (never did) or repotting it. Typically we take it outdoors every spring until the fall. It does do well outdoors.

Its almost as old as my parrot such that it has become integrated a bit into the house. Might move it outdoors this week and maybe check it for being pot bound.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Pete,

I hope your lime tree pulls through.

It is nice to give life to something and to see how it grows and what happens. Plus with a lime tree you get the reward of the fruit and leaves, which if you enjoy cocktails and cooking Mexican/Asian food is an added bonus !

I have a cherry plum tree in my garden now, which I thought was dead - actually didn't know what it was at first. Anyway it escaped it's pot and grew a lot bigger. Seems to be a lot happier now. All the birds like to eat the blossom, so there are not many plums on it, but it is nice to hear them sing. And I think it represents a successful break from captivity, so I kind of admire it for that !
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Juggler.

Yup as old as the little tree is; it has never bore fruit.

I have 2 older in the ground ones which have. I tried that splicing of branches thing a few years back to no avail. Had a weird mishap (?) and for a few years I was getting a cross between a lime and a grapefruit generating a sort of blended taste and a larger than a lime but smaller than a grapefruit edible fruit.

The little lime tree (well now way cut back) is starting to grow; mostly though from the base.
- Pete

Auto mater