MicroRouter Modifications

Non Joggler related discussion.
pete

MicroRouter Modifications

Post by pete »

Goofing around here with a little microrouter in an attempt to do a bit more with it.

Microrouter: TP-Link TL-WR710 V1.0

I picked it up at Amazon dot come for some $19.95 USD. Looks like a first generation one and that is good relating to what it is I want to do with it.

From the OpenWRT page:
This device has a similar form factor as the TL-WR800N. It has the Atheros AR9331 chipset and two Ethernet ports. Another similar device is the TL-WR703N.

Version sold in Switzerland, Poland, Turkey & Austria - TL-WR710N(EU) has 8MB flash chip and 32MB ram.

The International/Chinese Version has a 2MB flash chip. Good news is that you can replace 2MB flash chip with bigger one and then you can run OpenWrt on this device.
Mine appears to have a 256mb RAM chip and a 8Mb flash chip in it although I can only see 32Mb right now.

First hardware modification was to put a 5VDC power input cable to it. Amazing little device. Goals are:

1 - Serial connection add
2 - 3G/4G add
3 - Wireless mods
TP-Link-1.jpg
Easy firmware flash via the original TP-Link GUI
BusyBox v1.19.4 (2013-12-14 13:44:40 PST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______ ________ __
| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -__| || | | || _|| _|
|_______|| __|_____|__|__||________||__| |____|
|__| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r39076)
* 1/2 oz Galliano Pour all ingredients into
* 4 oz cold Coffee an irish coffee mug filled
* 1 1/2 oz Dark Rum with crushed ice. Stir.
* 2 tsp. Creme de Cacao
root@ICS-TP-Link-MR:~# date
Fri May 30 08:37:12 CDT 2014
root@ICS-TP-Link-MR:~#
Testing right now utilizing a POE injector and converting power to 5VDC. I want to put device inside of my alarm panel and utilize the 12VDC built into the panel (with battery).

Notice the pictures above show no markings relating to MFG of board.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Re: MicroRouter Modifications

Post by Juggler »

Pete, I think I have seen the router, or one like it, you have, on the UK ebay for around £9. I think they only have one USB port, and they come in a variety of colours. If you can run OpenWRT on them, that will be amazing.

I'm tempted by one of these :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/World-sm ... 91049.html

especially as I think they can run OpenWRT :

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=48481
https://github.com/hackruu/nexx-wt1520-openwrt

Just seen they are on sale, in the first link and around $17 is the cheapest I have seen them for a bit. However, I think best thing is to search for the product across all AliExpress shops.
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice. Looks to be running OpenWRT now too.

This one is even smaller than the one I purchased.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I saw one on sale at AliExpress for around $17.90 and went for that. Need to get a TTL or 3V serial to USB dongle, then I will have a go at putting OpenWRT on it. Would really like to get a Radius server running on there so I can do WiFi with 802.1x authentication, as I'm not really comfortable with WPA2, even with a ?64? character key. I don't know if that would be possible as there may not be enough space and I think the processor in the SoC is not that great - about 360MhZ.

This was the store I bought from :

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/339713

With AliExpress now I find the item I'd like then do a search for that item, sort on price and look at the cheapest deal. My understanding with AliExpress is that they keep the cash in escrow till a certain date has passed or no dispute has been raised and then release it to the store. Otherwise, they do not till some ?satisfactory? outcome has been reached. I've not been in the latter situation yet, so don't know how good it is really. But so far I've not really had any issues and all aspects have worked really well.