What other hardware can i run squeezeplay on?

Non Joggler related discussion.
Jarv_77

What other hardware can i run squeezeplay on?

Post by Jarv_77 »

Whilst my joggler is setup with a usb hard drive full of music, squeeze server and player in the lounge (output via hifi), what other gadget could I be using say in the kitchen or bedroom to stream the music to with the joggler as server?

To put it another way, what other hardware will run squeeze player without shelling out for an actual squeezebox?

Does it even have to be squeezeplayer or is there other software that will work?

Anyone got any suggestions other than ........ Another joggler!?

Cheers.
Justblair

Re: What other hardware can i run squeezeplay on?

Post by Justblair »

I run Squeezeplay on an Asus T101MT Netbook/Tablet! Though I use it to remote control my Joggler which is connected to my headphone DAC and amp.

Should run on any windows based PC.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

You could run Squeezeslave on pretty much anything - it doesn't even need a display, because you can control it through Squeezebox Server using an app like Squeemote or iPeng.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Hmmm, when I wrote 'other hardware'. I was kind of meaning other amplification and speaker setup that can wifi connect witht the joggler and stream music. Ie like a Joggler does but different.!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jarv_77 wrote:Hmmm, when I wrote 'other hardware'. I was kind of meaning other amplification and speaker setup that can wifi connect witht the joggler and stream music. Ie like a Joggler does but different.!
My solution, strangely enough, is to run it on another Joggler (sorry, I know you said suggestions other than another Joggler). I have one in the kitchen (acting as the server for both my Jogglers) and another one next to my hi-fi in the living room.

The living room Joggler connects to the server wirelessly and has a USB soundcard that sends optical sound to my amplifier.
Wi-fi to hi-fi.

I can also synchronise both devices and play the same music through both - great for parties.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Gegs, always seems to be me asking you questions!
Just re-read the above, when you say syncronise do you mean press play on both at the same time, or are you able to have both playing and controlled from the same source?

Cheers
Max

Post by Max »

Yes you can sync them so they all play the same thing, controlled by one of them. Like a cheap version of a Sonos Multiroom system.

I have two them them with usb soundcards and the sync is perfect. I also have squeezeplayer on my android phone and the sync on that is slightly out.

I am interested though what the sync is like with Jogglers and a real Logitech Squeeze radio.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Max wrote:Yes you can sync them so they all play the same thing, controlled by one of them. Like a cheap version of a Sonos Multiroom system.

I have two them them with usb soundcards and the sync is perfect.

Max, would it be obvious to me once I had two squeezeplayers how to make them play in sync? Do you need to control it from the web interface on media server?

Thanks.
gegs

Post by gegs »

If you choose 'Settings' on the home page of Squeezeplay on the Joggler and scroll down, there is a 'Synchronize' option.

And yes, there is also a 'Synchronize' option on the server's web interface; it's a drop-down option under the player name on the home page. If you have two Jogglers running Squeezeplay they should both be listed (it's easier if you give them different names under 'Settings' => 'Squeezebox Name') and the Synchronize option is under the player names.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

I have a Squeezebox Touch in the Lounge and Jogglers in the dining room and kitchen.

Re synchronization:
I originally had them all set up wirelessly but found I was getting lag between them leading to echo effects when stood in the hall - not good for parties!
Would only get worse in a party situation because of the extra density the wireless waves would have to travel through, ie extra folk stood around boozing.

Switched them all to ethernet using powerline adaptors.
This cured it and they are all now perfectly synched in all situations. :)
leepea

Post by leepea »

I use Squeezeplay on a laptop, PC and 2 Jogglers. I was getting sync/"echo" issues when on wireless too, but there are lag settings on LMS which (after a bit of fiddling) have cured the problem. Off the top of my head (I'm not near my PC with LMS on) it's just a matter of altering the delay for each player until they sync correctly. Took me a few minutes to get it perfect but now you can just save the settings and forget about it. If you change back to ethernet, just reset the delay for each player to zero (but remember to make a note of the settings in case you go to wireless again!)