TVCatchup - RIP?

Non Joggler related discussion.
ilovemyjoggler

TVCatchup - RIP?

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've been shedding a little tear (lots actually) for the wonderful TVCatchup which has been ruined by the removal of many channels. I know the developers are not to blame - it's the sods who run the channels. I'll still be using it because it's so convenient but there's just no way it's as useful to me now as it was before. I'm so grateful to the developers for the years i've had with it - it was marvellous while it lasted... :cry:

I hope to god the iplayer doesn't disappear!
castalla

Re: TVCatchup - RIP?

Post by castalla »

It's difficult to see why the main public channels have failed to adopt decent online live streaming protocols. They all make it really quirkily dependent on web-browsers and click-click-click-wait, etc. The culling at tvcatchup seems quite strange also.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

castalla wrote:The culling at tvcatchup seems quite strange also.
Almost unbelievable that they should be forced to drop some channels. The service is 'Freeview' after all. The channels stream with ads so I really don't see why the fuss. End result will be those reluctant to register to individual providers having no choice but to watch tv channels on an actual tv. How medieval... Having had a look at the itv player app it's certainly not the way forward. What a farce. An ad you can't skip before the start of a programe followed by ad breaks all the way through - which, again, you can't skip. Aaand repeat the process. Seriously rubbish service.
gegs

Post by gegs »

The official 4oD app on the iPad is even worse; choose a program on the iPad, choose Airplay streaming to play to the Apple TV, 4 or 5 ads will stream to the goggle box before a screen appears with Derren Brown's smug face and a message that 4oD doesn't support streaming to a TV. It apparently does support ad streaming though, so if you love ads, this is your dream app.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I never got round to registering for 4OD. Reading your post makes me thankful I didn't. Is it the same faff on the xbmc 4od plugin too?

Interesting that some of the channel 4 programmes removed from tvcatchup are available on skygo. I suppose sky are paying for the privilege...
castalla

Post by castalla »

The xbmc 4oD plugin is no more - hasn't worked for some time, and due to some drm thing it won't be easy to fix.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: TVCatchup replacement

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I gave up on TVC on all platforms ages ago

Today I stumbled upon the xbmc addon F.T.V. I know I'm probably really late to the party but it seems to be an adequate freeview replacement of sorts. I've got it running at the moment and so far it's working quite well. The only thing missing is a tv guide to go with it.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for that I love my joggler :-) what skin/ is are you using for xbmc if you don't mind me asking ?
Its for the kitchen joggler that has PNPIII on at the mo but my good lady wants TV on it if possible .
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Re: TVCatchup replacement

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi. Snap! It's my kitchen joggler too which has been PNP III'ed but only ever runs xbmc os.
I use confluence on it as it seems the most functional on my set up. I've never looked into clock or fancy screensavers tho as I like this joggler to black out when not in use.