Nook Simple Touch - a cheap hackable e-reader

Non Joggler related discussion.
hawsey

Re: Nook Simple Touch - a cheap hackable e-reader

Post by hawsey »

Apologies for my intermittent replies on here but my tapatalks on various devices all force upgraded (apart from my playbook) and now I can only read and not post , even old versions seem to force update !!
Your books sound very interesting , I think I would like the Spanish civil war one in particular , thanks again..
The Project guttenburg links within Cool Reader are great and I have downloaded a few out of copyright classics straight to the Nook from there , many thousands of books on that site .
I tried a chess app and it seems particularly suited to the eink format , not that I have played since I was a teenager lol , time to start again methinks .
Still not re tried the permissions thing but I intend to , cheers for the tips .

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Happy Joggling
hwxckoutuu

Post by hwxckoutuu »

gegs wrote:I've found a method that greatly speeds up the Nook for rooted apps. Don't use the ReLaunch launcher installed by Nook Manager; I find it v..e..r..y s..l..o..w

Install Button Savior and ADW Launcher. After installing, when you start the Nook you may have the option to boot directly into ADW Launcher; it will be easy to understand for anyone who has used an Android phone. If using the Barnes & Noble default interface and you want to switch to ADW Launcher, click on the small arrow to the right of the screen, which opens the Button Savior icons. Touch the 'Home' icon and you will see a list of the launchers you have installed. Choose ADW Launcher and I'm sure you will be amazed at how much faster it is than ReLaunch. If you find any better launchers, let us know.

I can also recommend installing the Farlex Free Dictionary; it works offline and in several languages. RealCalc is also very useful and turns your Nook into a big button scientific calculator.
Thank you for your post, it's very useful to me.
gegs

Post by gegs »

For all those who fancied a Nook Simple Touch Glowlight but thought they were a bit pricey, the price has now dropped from £69 to £49. Pretty darned good for a backlit e-reader (well, edge-lit actually). They'd make a nice Christmas present for someone.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Yeh just picked one of them up, and rooted it. Great for the money. heard the screen is rather delicate on the glow edition, and nkocks can cause light patches, but i got a case for mine so hopefully no accidents.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Glad you like your new toy :D

One of the features I like most about the rooted Nook is the ability to install books to the device from a Dropbox folder; they're automatically added to the library too. This is especially good for Project Gutenberg's 'save to Dropbox' facility.