O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
IanL

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by IanL »

Mine updated this morning and it seems to have bricked it in the process. All I get is an O2 logo now and cannot do anything with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this working again. Im pretty annoyed that O2 have killed a working device.
pete

Post by pete »

Not totally sure what changed but you can try to reflash it with the original firmware.

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

pete_c wrote:offbeatdave,

Updated Joggler with PNP3. Radio works!

Everything works with your updated PNP3 on the old O2 firmware. Thinking now my Joggler may never get the update because I've never registered it with O2.
Yay! Good to hear one is working! Don't think registering makes a difference as I don't register mine and most have tried to update. You may just escape it out your way!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
andjos

Post by andjos »

Well wish i hadnt updated, what a disaster!
May as well put it on ebay, main thing I used was the internet radio....now gone........ and I had free texts...now gone
Who thinks that we want all the games!

Anyone know if you can reverse things back on this, need the internet radio at least
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

andjos wrote:Well wish i hadnt updated, what a disaster!
May as well put it on ebay, main thing I used was the internet radio....now gone........ and I had free texts...now gone
Who thinks that we want all the games!

Anyone know if you can reverse things back on this, need the internet radio at least
Can't help with the texts, but check out the PnP III thread at http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=555 or the Squeezeplay thread. Don't give up on such a cool piece of kit.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Post by pete »

deleted.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
IanL

Post by IanL »

pete_c wrote:Not totally sure what changed but you can try to reflash it with the original firmware.

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash
Thanks, I am trying to achieve this but having problems with the Win32DiskImager - think it may be down to my 64bit Win7 so I am trying it on an older XP machine. Just waiting for everything to copy over and I will see if I have managed to reverse O2's mess.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I am also trying to reflash - am a complete novice and don't really know what I'm doing but seem to have fallen at first hurdle. Am trying to follow the step by step guide from the birdslikewires website for windows - don't have lynux or mac. I have downloaded both Win32DiskImager bits but can't find the .img.gz file. What am I doing wrong? My joggler died after the o2 update and I have never tinkered with it before.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

you need to make sure the the img file is not in a ZIP...
then use the ... button to find it...
it DOES work...repeatedly..
if it comes to it..I'll create a "screenshot guide" for our new friends...
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ok. I have downloaded and unpacked the win32diskimager source and file again. I have opened both and cannot for the life of me see any file called .img.gz. You probably think I should leave well alone and to be honest so do I but I really want my joggler back. I have taken a screenshot of the files so that you can see what I have downloaded but I have no idea how to add it to my post!
darrenkellum

Post by darrenkellum »

Yes it does work, i just did it again.

I find this method works best for me

Take a 4gb usb stick
Download the ubuntu image from http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/
You will probably find a .bin file inside the zip file (use win rar to look whats inside)
Extract that to your desktop
Then use the disk manager to write that to your usb stick. You might need to search *.* when browsing in order to see the file on your desktop
Once written to your mem stick (you might get an error - it doesnt usually seem to matter, just click ok)
Stick the usb in the joggler, wait ages a while until everything has loaded, its pretty slow on first boot.
Connect to your wifi (little icon in the right corner)
Find Root Terminal under the programs and then type [line by line - each time press enter] the script

Code: Select all

wget http://o2.openpeak.co.uk/firmware/app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz
tar xvfz app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz
sudo su 
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p2 payload/image.myg 
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p3 payload/image.myg 
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt 
cp payload/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux0 
cp payload/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux1 
cd /mnt
md5sum vmlinux0 >>sum0 
md5sum vmlinux1 >>sum1 
sed -i '3d' sum0 
sed -i '3d' sum1 
Reboot
Wait after each line for it to return to the prompt, sometimes it says 100% done but still has some work to do.
(if you have a usb hub, a usb keyboard and another mem stick you can put the script into a notepad file using a pc, then open the file on the joggler, easier to copy and paste each line into Terminal than typing on the joggler)

When it reboots, after the screen turns off (take a little while), take out the USB stick.
Should then boot up.

The Birdslikewires method is probably quicker but for me the above works everytime.
Last edited by darrenkellum on Mon May 14, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanL

Post by IanL »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:I am also trying to reflash - am a complete novice and don't really know what I'm doing but seem to have fallen at first hurdle. Am trying to follow the step by step guide from the birdslikewires website for windows - don't have lynux or mac. I have downloaded both Win32DiskImager bits but can't find the .img.gz file. What am I doing wrong? My joggler died after the o2 update and I have never tinkered with it before.
Mine has worked (putting it back to original factory settings) but only with an XP machine. Thanks for the info pete_c.

In reply to ilovemyjoggler - The links to file you want is http://o2.openpeak.co.uk/firmware/app-o ... eimage.tgz
glossta1

Post by glossta1 »

Great to read so many contributions! I am another of th (rare?) simple users with no techie skills. I love my Joggler for the family calendar - especially the fact that it texts whichever of the 5 of us necessary, with whatever appointments/birthdays etc are needed. I don't think Google Calendar has this family texting option, or am I missing something? Without Joggler Family Calendar, what's to tie us all to o2 in the future?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Dear all. Thanks so much for the step by step. I will try this tomorrow with a clear head and let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed...!!
chiliblue

Post by chiliblue »

glossta1 wrote:Great to read so many contributions! I am another of th (rare?) simple users with no techie skills. I love my Joggler for the family calendar - especially the fact that it texts whichever of the 5 of us necessary, with whatever appointments/birthdays etc are needed. I don't think Google Calendar has this family texting option, or am I missing something? Without Joggler Family Calendar, what's to tie us all to o2 in the future?
I am pretty sure you could great a series of accounts on google and share the family calendar, which would then txt to the family on a user account by user account basis. Plus you could also setup a cheap domain with google for around £10 a year, which would give you a family.member@surname.co.uk. I would think it would work in many ways better than o2's offering.
chiliblue

Post by chiliblue »

SMS still working.

I am still waiting on my Joggler to update, it is currently on pmp 2.0

This morning I thought I would try the sms application (for the third time in my entire ownership) and it still works! Atleast to send txt messages. I have no idea how it would server side but I was a little suprised that they hadn't switched off that feature their side.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I was on PnP mkII and thought I'd dodged that particular bullet (the update) but woke this morning to a shiny new Openpeak version. I've lost USB sound and Logitech Media Server, so no Spotify plugin yet in Squeezeplay.

I'll try to update to PnP mkIII tonight but I'm a bit trepidatious after reading that USB installers don't work now and that telnet might not work.

Wish me luck!
stepoon

Post by stepoon »

My joggler updaded itself over night, to the latest software. I tried iplayer it crashed and is now stuck on the 02 screen.... oh dear
koalauk

Post by koalauk »

I believe if you download and put the content of the attached file in to a clean USB stick and boot it from it will osrt the time issues, I digged it out and should work OK

dave64k wrote:Tried wired and wireless connections now and the date/time still not updating and no ability to change in the settings menu.

I am assuming the clocking comes from the NTP server?

Do folks with the new update from o2 and correct date and time have the same settings as me?

Primary NTP Server: ntp.ubuntu.com

Secondary NTP Server: pool.ntp.org
Attachments
backup 2gb sd.rar
Time issues
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
koalauk

Post by koalauk »

Another solution to TIME Date issues

Please note that I accept no responsibility if you brick your Joggler, you proceed at your own risk.

Telnet into Joggler then type:

cd /etc/init.d/boot.d/

vi S99boot.hacks

Type i

add the following line and it will auto update on boot

ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org

Type Esc then :wq and reboot

good luck